1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helion Dominus 10SC mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by us5deneens, Nov 27, 2013.

1. us5deneens

us5deneens Member

Media:
    Hi guy's, thought I would share what I've done to my son's christmas present he will be receiving here soon. I picked up this sc truck for not a bad price for what you get. With all the research I've done on this truck, it is really durable and makes a great basher with a few upgrades with stock drive train it is wicked fast and surprisingly can take the extra horsepower. Here's what I did,
    First, I replaced the stock motor and esc with the Traxxas Velinion brushless system.
    Second, I installed a 3 cell lipo. Let me tell ya, she really comes alive.
    Third, put a set of Axial Wraith tires and wheels.
    This thing is now a blast to drive and really fast. When you lay on the throttle, it pulls wheelies all the way across the yard. I added 50 weight oil to the shocks for those jumps. Another good mod to do is buy $5.00 sling shot rubber tubing, cut a one inch piece for all for dog bones. Slip it over the diff and dog bone. This solves the problem of the dog bone drive shafts coming out and helps save them from getting bent. I got that idear from another posting some where. But it works great.

Attached Files:

#1 us5deneens, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. firefighter3

firefighter3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Sound's pretty cool,not sure how far your local hobby shop is but one thing you might want to keep on hand is a set of front A-arm's.I've broken 2 set's already.

3. us5deneens

us5deneens Member

Media:
    Our Hobby Town is only about 10 miles away. So far they seem to have a pretty good amount of parts on hand, but I'll definitely start stocking up on parts. Always good to have extra parts on hand.

#3 us5deneens, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  4. us5deneens

us5deneens Member

Media:
    Just installed the new rear aluminum hub carriers. There is no where near the free play that the original plastic ones had. Very easy to install, just take off the wheels, in this case the rear ones, remove the Phillips screw from the top camber turn buckle, then remove the Phillips screw on the bottom of the a arm that holds the bottom of the hub carrier in place, remove inner and outer bearings and the output shaft that the wheel bolts to. Clean and re oil the bearings before installing into the new aluminum hub carrier. Put everything back just like you took it out, just in reverse. This job took me about 15 minutes. Just thought I would share this with all you that is interested.

5. us5deneens

us5deneens Member

Media:
    Thought I would share the latest I have done to the SC Dominus. I just got a new proline SC body f150 Raptor. It took me one evening to line out my paint scheme and masking. Then the next evening after work I let the paint fly. It took me two more nights to add a custom interior, such as a detailed dash with steering wheel and guages, shifter , center console, and seats. Then I made a spare tire mount out of aluminum angle. Lastly I aded a rear roll bares to the back of the truck with a spoiler.

Attached Files:

6. Jabbo

Jabbo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I just got one a few months ago to see if it was as much fun as when I was a kid I lived in Japan as a teenager and had a Hornet and Grasshopper...way more fun and have since also gone Brush-less(3300kv leopard) 3000 nihm,added slipper clutch(might take it out hearing about the wheelies)the factory upgrade shocks,...today I ordered a pro-line 66 f100 sc body a set of badland tires and pro-line renegade wheels......I love this truck for the money its a ton of fun,I will be getting the hub carriers and a stronger servo before moving on to a slash or maybe a crawler:haveaniceday:

7. us5deneens

us5deneens Member

Media:
    that's sounds awesome. They are a lot of fun and even with the brushless upgrade and the 3 cell lipo we are using in ours, I am surprised at the durability. Good thing you are replacing your hub carriers. With that brushless motor and extra speed the plastic ones on the rear wear away fairly quickly. the outside bearings were about to fall out on our 10sc dominus. The front hub carriers so far have been holding up to the extra hp, but I think we'll replace those with the aluminum ones anyway.

8. Jabbo

Jabbo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'm wondering if the universal joint style axle is a good idea for this truck, here are some picks of today's carnage....these are tough trucks,I slammed mine into this curb earlier and the pillow ball came out...this makes twice I have had this happen(other side was a 1 1/2" pvc pipe sticking out of the ground)easy to pop back in....will the u-joint set up handle this as well as the stock dog bone?...it attaches solid to the hub....?? 087.jpg 083.jpg 084.jpg

9. us5deneens

us5deneens Member

Media:
    I think the new universal joint drive shafts will help a lot, probably would make the truck a bit more durable. They are kind of spendy, but worth it in the long run. It would be about $50 bucks for the front and rear sets.

10. DLE-RC

DLE-RC New Member

My main problem with this platform is the upper chassis brace. It's made out of extra weaksauce and bends easily if you land on the front hard enough. Luckily it's pliable so it can be bent back into shape. I'm trying to come up with a new way to reinforce it.

11. us5deneens

us5deneens Member

Media:
    I bet if you got a length of 1/2" aluminum angle and cut it to fit across the top of the original brace with the angle side facing down or up and attached it either with screws or zip ties would strengthen it and not allow it to bend as easy.

12. DLE-RC

DLE-RC New Member

Yeah, I put a small brace on it, but it'd not as form fitting as I would like it to be. I'll make some adjustments in the future, but as of right now I'm working on an SC10 and my Slash 2WD. Also I'm rebuilding a Savage 4.6, a Losi Mini 8ight, Kyosho Inferno, a T-Maxx, and a Rustler. I have a few projects that are running across my workbench! Love me some small scale wrenchin!

13. us5deneens

us5deneens Member

Media:
    cool, i think a brace will definitely help. man you have a lot of cool rc's.

14. Mikeyznsacto

Mikeyznsacto New Member

I'm having the problem on my 10SC with dogbone falling out of the front only one side. I buy an new hub and it's better for a while, but then it reverts to its bad ways.
    I don't fully understand the slingshot tubing fix. Could you help this noob understand?

15. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It keeps you from losing the dogbone. You slide a chunk on the shaft. Then when it's inplace you stretch it over the cup that the dogbone goes into.you can do it on both sides of the shaft. It also helps keep dirt out.

sent from taptalk on an HTC using my fingers