1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP, best 1/10 scale two wheel drive basher ?

Discussion in 'Bashing Chat' started by kturner, Dec 21, 2014.

1. kturner

kturner New Member

Im new to this forum and new to rc's , I need help figuring out my next rc to buy.My brother and I both have slash 4x4's , and we are looking for another. He is wanting a Traxxas Bandit and I want to purchase something similar so we are close to comparison when we go out. So for this reason I ruled out 1/8 and 1/5 scale although im dying to have one.
    Im considering a Traxxas Rustler or a Losi XXX SCB, regardless which one I buy I plan on running 3s .But I want to spend my money wisely, so want the best basher for my buck.

Any help is much appreciated ,thank you in advance.

2. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

how's it going?
    just my opinion ,,,,,you say your bro wants a bandit...if he gets BANDIT VXL ,,,then you might want to think about a ,,,,
    rustler VXL because the chassis are the same and both being similar when you work on them order parts or up grade the principal of the two are similar ,,,even though there are differences they are similar ,,,or at least closer than other brands
    and sizes...that is if you run together a lot. you can share some parts like wheels ,,,and experiment with one ,,,
    before upgrading the other ,,,,or you could upgrade yours and when you upgrade again ,,,,,
    hand down the old parts to your bro and save him lots of money. and that would help him out a lot.

3. kturner

kturner New Member

That is a very good point ! Thank you very much.

4. roadhog29389

roadhog29389 New Member

This is a straight up stupid suggestion, But it's what I did. LRP S10 twister kit for $89aud, Throw some decent cheap electronics at it and you'll beat him on performance and price. This also depends on whether you want to build a kit or not. I'd suggest HK electrics for cheap brushless oomph. If you go nuts on the power, You'll need to upgrade the transmission and driveshafts to metal but you should still beat the Bandit on price after that.
    [​IMG]
    The main issue I see with my suggestion is if you can find it sold in the US as it's not really that common in Australia and I've never seen LRP kits on the US RC sites, But you never know

#4 roadhog29389, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  5. Hpi-guy

Hpi-guy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    My suggestion: Hpi Blitz Flux or the Hpi E Firestorm Flux.
    The E Firestorm/ Blitz chassis is based off of the Associated T4 and partly of the Losi XXX-SCT. It is extremely durable, extremely fast, and a very good value. This will own a Rustler or Bandit in price, drivability, raceability, and in durability. It can be run stock with no issues, but if you are looking for upgrades upgrade the steering rack and the servo, and you should be set.

6. afh316

afh316 Member

Media:
    Almost bought a rustler but knew I wanted to drive in snow so I opted for 4wd but I definetly would say the rustler, incredible parts support and plenty of room for upgrades and if you get it on tower it will be cheaper than $225 usd because they always run sales. I've also heard that e- firestorms from hpi are very good and pretty much the same thing just a different company. Good Luck!

7. Hpi-guy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    No no no, the E Firestorm and the Rustler are 2 completely different cars. The E Firestorm like I said before is based off the Associated T4 and partially the Losi XXX-SCT. The Rustler's design was made back in the 1980's, and is not very competitive. The Duratrax Evader was the norm back then, and it schooled the rustlers. The rustler is heavy, and the E Firestorm is much lighter. The Rustler has a few weak points that need to be addressed. The E Firestorm is as tough as nails. The E Firestorm Flux comes with a Castle Creations Sidewinder combo, where as the Rustler comes with a mediocre VXL system.
    The Rustler no doubt is a good car, but the E Firestorm Flux is superior in every aspect, including value. Get a Hpi, and be happy you did.

8. afh316

afh316 Member

Media:
    Just saying if it was a bad deign would it be on a 30 year production cycle and just saying if you ask 100 people 10 of them would say that the velineon vxl systems are mediocre. From what I've heard they are bulletproof and traxxas would not be able use the same system for a decade if it wasn't a tried and true system. That's just my two sense and I almost got the e-firestorm because it does look like a promising car but then I realized I wanted four wheel drive. Just trying to give him some other options to maybe look up.

9. Hpi-guy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Not to start an argument, but I have heard many many bad things about the VXL system. It runs extremely hot on 3S, the waterproofing isn't good through snow because it cracks in cold weather, the power button gets stuck, the LVC sometimes cannot disengage regardless of the battery voltage, the motor is weak, the amp rating is too low, and for $150 bucks its ridiculously expensive for a brushless system. The Castle Sidewinder SV3 that is included with the E Firestorm is one of the most powerful and reliable systems to date, has a 4 pole motor, and as an upgrade it only costs $100. The Viper Copperhead R has a amp rating of 100 amps, and is super smooth, has an anodized aluminum heatsink, and a 4 pole brushless motor, and that is $110. It is simply not worth the money, and it is not reliable enough for the money either. And about Traxxas for using the same platform for over a decade; the Rustler's (and all of Traxxas's 2WD vehicles for that matter) biggest weak point are the front castor blocks. Have they remedied this issue in over 30 years? NO. Have they worked on the ESC issues? NO. Have they started making CVD's after numerous complains on the stock driveshafts? NO. They have been ignoring issue after issue for over 30 years. The absolute only reason Traxxas hasn't gone out of business is because all the weak points have cheap upgrades (still adding to the original cost though) and because of their unmatched customer support. Hpi is literally right behind them though.
    My point is that you will be thanking yourself getting a E Firestorm over the Rustler. You just will because its a superior vehicle. They cost the same, so why not get the better one?

10. Saaren Sawmy

Saaren Sawmy New Member

HI Every one
    I am hesitating between a Traxxas Rustler VXL and a Losi XXX SCT can someone please help me

11. sweet rc

sweet rc Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    @Saaren Sawmy Out of personal choice I would go with the losi... Traxxas has always had good trucks but a little over priced for what they actually are... The losi is around the same price as a 2wd vxl Rustler but is much better. It comes with a lipo ready transmission with metal gears/drive shafts when the rustler only comes with metal gears and plastic drive shafts. Second is that the Spektrum DX2E is a much better felling, looking, and more durable than Traxxas generic transmitters. It also is going to give you more range. They both are the same in that they both have tsm/avc. Its up to you though... Look at the specs and decide which one will do the best for what you want.

Losi
    http://losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOS03002

Traxxas
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/rustler-vxl-tsm

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  12. Saaren Sawmy

Saaren Sawmy New Member

Thanks @sweet rc but i bought the rustler vxl on ebay

13. killerbyrd14

killerbyrd14 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Uh. What about Ecx guys. Super durable and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Ive always liked my buddys losi xxx scb.