1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose the right SC truck :-)

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by Blendermess, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Blendermess

Blendermess Member

Hi everyone, I need your input and help to choose for a reliable fun and affordable sc truck.
    Me and my son would like to race against each other on a small off-road track we have built in a vacant lot near our house.
    We currently own a Blackout XTE pro and a Terremoto 10-V2 that we run on stock 2s lipo. However for racing the cars are way too different to have a fair race. These are our first hobby grade rc's and enjoy them quite a lot.

We love watching real sc truck and wanted to reproduce the same kind of experience on a rc scale.
    Since the original race trucks are 2wd, we tried to look at what was available and affordable and durable to emulate the original races.
    The sc trucks that had the best review form the bigsquid shootout at an entry point level were the
    Arrma Fury Mega and the Ecx Torment.
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/brushed-2wd-short-course-shootout-is-here/
    We are planning to run these on 2s lipo.
    Since these two models are brushed and we only have experience with 4wd trucks on 2s lipo, I was a bit worried if that was going to have enough power and torque to get us entertained on the track and to not regret our purchase.

On that assumption with lack of torque and power I also looked at the Arrma BLX version that looked sweet. However a lot of users complained that it was hard to control at higher speeds. I would love to have brushless but since this is the only rc technology I have experienced it's hard for me to trust a brushed motor since I have no experience to compare what I can get from them.
    There are way too many variables and unknown for me to make a wise choice. This is the reason of my post.

Since we already have redcat trucks I also throwed in the option of getting their blackout sc pro truck version since we already own some of their products.

So in the end I have no idea wich one would be the best buy for us in this case.

1) Arrma Fury Mega
    2) Ecx Torment (lipo)
    3) Arrma Fury Blx
    4) Redcat Blackout SC pro

Hope you can help me make the right choice. Thanx a lot

The Blendermess

#1 Blendermess, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

I know of a fella that started racing with us with an Arma SCT, and did quite well with it. The brushed motor only lasted a little while and he soon upgraded it to a brushless 2s system, and the rest of the truck handled it rather well. Issues with fitting good batteries inside it was a little bit of a problem....
    The main issue he had was spare parts. Down here in Tasmania, no one stocked spare parts, and even on the mainland it was nigh impossible also to find parts.
    I have no input in regards to the others sorry, as never had any dealings with them or even seen in real life.

If i can throw in and suggest a HPI Blitz, they, i have heaps of knowledge on. I know they cost a little more, but setup wise you can do a HEAP with them.
    Most race spec SCTs are all mid mounted motors, making the Blitz a little dated, but for mucking around racing, I personally highly recommend them.

Aftermarket parts are plenty, setup adjustments are plenty, toe, camber, shock position(top and bottom), different pistons, spring rates, trailing and inline front hubs, roll centre front and rear blah blah blah.....

Of course others will have different opinions on other rigs that also suit, Slash, AE SC10, and those you've mention, and others as well, all of varying price points.

personal opinions on rigs will vary of course, best bet is to match the ones to you price point, hit uip Youtube, and make your decision once you've informed yourself of the pros and cons.

Monkeypiarat, K.C.'s RC and Antho11 like this.
  3. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hello I am hoping that I can join your conversation with some input for you to think about ...
    so far I think you will make a good decision and will be good in the end just because you care to ask ...
    my section that I would recommend is not on your list ...
    so here is a shot in the dark ... how I would choose my heads up racer with ..
    by your info here is what I see ...
    first do not pick your RC because you have some of their other vehicles ....
    remember ... what you want is to be equal so first you are looking at 2 vehicles...
    for your first vehicle a brushed motor is not a bad place to start ..
    in fact that is what I would recommend as a starting place ...
    the cheapest most durable ,,, most bang for your buck... right ?
    so pick a model that has upgrade potential ....
    you first need to get your foot in the door so to speak;)
    so I hope that the one you choose has good parts choice...
    I am going to say because of my inexperience ...
    that the cars on your list are entry level vehicles ....
    I would like to see you be able to try a second tier brand or a more established brand ...
    I think what you need for you two to start is a brushed Traxxas slash....
    and if you don't like the brushed model then up grade later ...
    there are other brand than traxxas ,,,, I am just talking about the slash ...
    you will find what you start with will directly reflect what you end up with...
    I think that the parts availability and upgrade quality parts is where it is at...
    I am not saying get a slash but what ever is on your list ....
    I think that if you want to save money down the road buy the next level up from entry level ...:)
    choose well and good luck...

4. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have experience with the torment, and imo it's just as good as the slash, plus they are inexpensive to upgrade, most parts are less than $30 us, they're water proof/resistant they come with a good spectrum radio, and with a simple receiver swap can be set up for stability control.

spawn, K.C.'s RC and Antho11 like this.
  5. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I don't have any experience with SC trucks but I do with 2wd buggies. I can tell you that any fast and overpowered 2wd vehicle is hard to control at high speeds on loose surfaces. They are amusing at low speeds because there so easy to drift and do donuts. AWD handles better at high speeds, but they can feel a bit slow with a stock brushed motor at low speeds. You can always upgrade to brushless later on and both setups are fun in their own ways.

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  6. Roadside_Racoon

Roadside_Racoon Active Member

Stay away from RedCat. They have a bad reputation. My friend has a RedCat and it has been anything but fun. Way to many problems both mechanically and electronically.

I know it seems as if everyone has got one but, the Traxxas Slash 4x4 is a great place to start with SC trucks. It features TSM (Traxxas Stability Management) and it helps with driving a lot. The amount of assistance can be adjusted from the controller and it can even be turned off completely. They are very easy to work on and they are just an all around fun truck to drive.

The transmitter it comes with is great quality and is comfortable to hold.

#6 Roadside_Racoon, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  7. K.C.'s RC

K.C.'s RC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Beware of the Traxxas fanboy. Although I personally have no experience with Redcat yet, (I will soon), they seem to be very good vehicles. I own a Slash 4x4 OBA TSM. I've had nothing but issues with it. Even when you're not having issues with it, the stock motor system, while it does have decent power, it is absolutely awful when it comes to overheating. The truck needs tons of upgrades. Just not a good platform unless you're willing to put a lot of money into it, on top of the already very expensive price. Oh, and about that comment about the TQi transmitter, I find it to be very poor quality and cheaply made, feels very cheap in the hand due to it being made of cheap plastic. I recommend the Arrma Senton Gonna get on in the future, it comes out of the box 6S ready and for around the same price as a Slash 4x4.

8. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Despite their reputation from the "Professional Hobbyist"
    Redcat are a good starting RC but if you are going to go racing I would recommend stepping it up a little bit.. I mean if you are just after some fun ... then there is nothing wrong with redcat..

I have seen people have mixed results with the almighty Traxxas Slash..
    I have seen people absolutely have a Blast with RedCat

When your dealing with the low end of the SC market your always going to hear people complain about a product when they have Team Associated expectations on a RedCat Budget...

If your happy to go with 2WD then Arma Fury BLX is hard to look past.
    Even with then included NIMH they seem to squirt along just fine..

The ECX Torment doesn't win it in the looks department but it is a fairly dependable RC..

I have to agree with @Greenie and say save a little more and either go with the HPI Blitz or the HPI Jumpshot SC..

But then that opens up a whole new budget level which the Team Associated SC10 would sit in.

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  9. Roadside_Racoon

Roadside_Racoon Active Member

The TQi transmitter is decent out of the box compared to some other RTR vehicles, but there are better transmitters out there. I guess RedCat might be a place to start, but if you want to do some racing with it, I'd be stepping it up to something else.

10. Blendermess

Blendermess Member

Thank you so much for all the input! What a great community!

I know redcat did not have a good rep a couple of years ago but in my personal opinion I have own two for the last year and only had a servo fried because I bought it in the snow and redcat sent me a replacement for free.

For the moment the Arrma Fury BLX is my first choice for the following reasons.

1) It come with brush-less motor and esc that can take it to the next level with a 3s lipo. Room to improve in the future. And since it is a 2wd I do not know if I am able to handle that much power but I think it is fun to have that possibility! Since I have never driven a 2wd car the speed and handling is obviously a strong point for me to consider. I know that 2wd is harder to control at higher speed. Will it be too fast?

2) I am worried that the speed of the mega or the ecx torment of 25 mph-30mph will not give me the torque I need to bash these rc's to our liking. I really enjoy the torque the terremotto gives in a quick burst.

Mind you I like the possibility of bringing these to the racing track but in general we will drive these puppies on the home made track me and my son built and updated this year in a vacant lot near our house. We still have a lot of clearing and rock removal before we put the sc on the track!

3) The upgrades you get on the blx version vs the mega is substantial price wise and they come with a 2 year warranty which is quite exceptional.

The only reason the torment is not my first choice is I feel that the car lineup in the brushless section does not offer anything without their AVC system. I no not want to pay for something I do not want. They go quickly in the 425$ in Canadian $. The 2wd lipo 1800 i brushed s about 235$

What I like about the torment is that the same model with 3 different body.

My next question is if I were to buy a torment with brushed motor, I have seem all sorts of cheap brushless motor and esc for less than a 100$. Are these a viable solution for an upgrade or do you always use the manufacturer's combos?

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  11. Blendermess

Blendermess Member

The most reason we want 2wd is to emulated the real sc trucks experience. I actually like the ecx looks!

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  12. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

I can see that you are going to be good at this ....
    after you are well into your journey you will find that you will want to make it yours ...
    unless it is specific to the vehicle ... you should be able to pick the combo that you feel you need ...
    so your choice for original parts for me would for me depend on if I needed the part to stay on the road or it was a well planed upgrade ...there are many brushless combos to choose ....
    from you only need to choose the biggest baddest overkill combo that will fit ...... I MEAN...
    the most appropriate for your needs..;)
    I feel very confident that you will do well ,,
    just for the fact that it seems to me that you will make the best of your choice...
    and that is what matters ...that is where the fun is...

darkside0914 likes this.
  13. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

I like my 2wd :)

14. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I ran a castle sidewinder3 sct 4600kv combo on my torment

3 cell, steel gears in transmission, and upgraded hotracing drive shafts, but a hobbywing quicrun wp10bl60(waterproof and 3 cell capable) and decent 3500 to 4000kv motor would do well too, I highly recommend going to the steel gears and upgrade shafts if you go brushless.

sweet rc and Blendermess like this.
  15. spawn

spawn Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i run team associated sc10 2 wheel drive and sc10 4x4 i run 3500 brushless in 2 wheeldrive 4800 in 4x4 both 3s been running strong for about 2 years not easy runs i have less in them then my friend has in slash his brakes on every run

16. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

I am running a 2400 KV motor out of a 1/8 scale vehicle in my traxxas bandit ,,but then again there are times when I break something everytime out .. because of my overconfidence in what I build ...
    (I like mine best even when it is the most slop-jalopy out there).....
    if you keep your rc for a couple of years ... you wont believe what it will be...
    one of the best things to think about when up grading is to keep your weight down...
    after that I build for durability and runtime in that order ...because rc has not caught on in southern AZ..
    if you have your own track you can make your own rules ...
    YEP ,,, as long as you upgrade for your terrain that you run on daily ..
    you will have a killer machine and lots of fun to boot..
    you can theoretically put as much beef under the hood as possible ...
    and turn the throttle down on your controller and not even need your full potential....
    where I find that is where my stuff starts breaking it self ....
    forgetting that I turned it up when I ran the 2S ...
    and when install the 3S the controller is turned all the way up:)
    be sure to post some video when your two RC on the ground ..

darkside0914, spawn and Blendermess like this.
  17. Verizino

Verizino Member

If your looking for a budget setup try the Helion Volition 10SC or XLR version. Nice and punchy and budget friendly. Perfect platform for upgrading imo but might not be for everyone.

18. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    My thoughts are Traxxas slash [I have 4] because you can get parts almost anywhere at anytime. and parts keep you going.
    and the ecx torment. my buddy has one. the handling is impressive and the truck can take a beating. running it on 3s brushless only thing he has broken is drive shafts and tranny gears.

darkside0914 and spawn like this.
  19. h2rac3r

h2rac3r Well-Known Member

I would say get a Traxxas Slash but what the hell do I know. All I've ever owned was a Slash.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

20. spawn

spawn Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thay all have ups and downs the up some reviews and more and see if thats helps i have no probs with traxxas so i am not bad mouthen then i have a summit bandit stamped so but u do get what u pay for