1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed!!

Discussion in 'Nitro' started by GRek84, Jun 15, 2014.

1. GRek84

GRek84 New Member

So i just got a brand new losi 8ight T 2.o truggy. I got 2 7.2v 3300 mah battery packs for the starter box ok. brand new 20% nitro fuel. Glow ignitor works perfect glow plug does too. now I got it to turn over and it was idling fine then it just started going full throttle on its own. So i tried turning down the idle needle to a slower speed. now it wont even turn over and ive out both the high and low speed needles to factory setting which are 2 1/2 turn out on the high speed and 4 turns out on the low speed. There is no info on the idle needle facotry setting. So yea with that all said I cant even get it to turn over now. Any tips? or setups for my low speed needle that would help? I really wanna break this thing in so I can go out and have some fun. Please please please if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys hope to hear from some of you soon!!

GRek84

2. Tombsy

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You can loosen the plug a bit while you start it, that should help. If it's really tight from being new a heat gun can help too.
    I'm a bit more concerned about it going full throttle, will the motor turn over by hand with the plug out?
    The throttle linkage is good? No air leaks in the fuel system, cracked line, or fuel tank lid?
    Traxxas has some good nitro tuning vids on there site, check out the part on a stuck engine.
    Traxxas - How To Start and Tune the TRX 2.5/3.3 Racing Engine™ | traxxas.com

Sorry not much more help, Im a boat guy :)

3. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

This would definitely start with this ^

4. GRek84

GRek84 New Member

Thanks Ill check out those vids. But yea theres no air leaks in the lines or the tank or lid. And no the enginge isnt seized up it turns when the plug is out and when the plug is in. It was just weird how when it did turn over it was cranking out a super fast idle actually i wouldnt even call it an idle cause i had to apply the brake or the wheels would turn fast. Also i checked all my throttle trims on my transmitter too. I just dont get it. thanks for the links though ill check those out.

5. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Is the glow plug still good?
    When you got it to start where the wheels spinning quickly?
    Did you try putting it on the ground and driving it?

Then unplug the pressure line from the muffler end and blow into it until the fuel reaches the carb or you can use a extra piece of tubing instead. Then place the rc on a block of wood or something so the rc is stable and the wheels are off the ground. After I would try heating up the engine with a heat gun or blow dryer and get it up to 200F (you probably won't get it up to 200 with a blow dryer but it's better than nothing). Then with the transmitter on and the receiver off, move the the servo or linkage so that the carb is about 25% to 50%. Then try starting it up, watch out because when it starts the wheels are going to accelerate really quickly. Then still on the block rev it a little bit to get it up to temp. After that turn on the receiver and enjoy!

6. GRek84

GRek84 New Member

Yea when it stated the wheels were spinning super fast like I was giving it gas when I wasn't at all. I think that's why it won't turn over now or when it does it's super hard and it immedietly starts going like I'm giving it gas. It's like either it won't start or when it does it goes crazy and won't idle. I did put it on the ground and it drove ok until I gave it a lil gas then it stalled. Is it too rich?

7. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    When you put it on the ground does it move without throttle input?

8. GRek84

GRek84 New Member

Yes if I didn't apply the brake it would move on it's own.

9. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Did you check if you trim and linkage is setup correctly because when your servo is at neutral there is supposed to be a 1mm gap in the carb?

10. GRek84

GRek84 New Member

Yea all my trims are set to neutral. And ya I don't get it cause I checked the throttle linkage and it's setup to factory settings. I've never had this problem with a nitro engine. I'm starting to wonder if the engine is messed up. I might contact losi and see if it's under warranty. Cause I'm running out of possible solutions.

11. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    This is usually the problem with old or used nitro rc is that the clutch springs get worn out and engage too early. I don't think it's that because you said its brand new. The only other advice i could give you is try running it around and once it gets up to temp adjust the idle screw in very small increments to adjust the idle. By the way are you sure your turning the idle screw in the correct direction?

If your still having the same luck and it's always stalling. Then once you get it started lean the high speed by just 1/8 of a turn and see how it goes. Did you touch the mid needle?

12. GRek84

GRek84 New Member

Yea I'm sure I'm turning the idle thread the right way. Also there is no mid speed needle just high and low speed needles. I'm getting so darn frustrated cause it's brand new and it won't even turn over. I've put all the needles to factory settings and it won't even turn over. The glow plug glows good I've primed it the batteries in the starter box are new. I'm stumped and bummed too.

13. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Last thing I can think of are try with a different glow plug just for the sake of trying. Is your fuel still good? I have no more ideas after this sorry, maybe you can e-mail Losi because it should be under warranty since you just bought it.

14. GRek84

GRek84 New Member

Yea that's what I'm thinking I'm gonna have to do and call losi because yea the glow plugs are brand new so is the fuel. Thanks for your help thought Antho11.