1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from Down Under, Melbs!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by CRACKLES 76, Jun 2, 2017.

1. CRACKLES 76

CRACKLES 76 Member

Hi guys great to be here I'm relatively new to the world of RC. My first taste was over 30 years ago when I got a Jet Hopper for Christmas. It took the AA batteries in the underneath compartment and they lasted what felt like 5 mins lol. As you can imagine back then batteries weren't cheap and after the 3rd set died my folks said they wouldn't be replacing them...
    So the Jet Hopper got thrown into the closet never to be seen again.
    Ugh!
    Fast forward to last February when a friend on fb put up a sale thread of all his junk as he was moving interstate.
    I bought his 3 month old Traxxas Slash 2WD for my 14 year old son who had mentioned late last year an RC would be cool... It had the brushed Titan 12T motor and XL-5 ESC. The motor was crunchy but everything was there and he dropped it off to my house in a large plastic box. He wanted $250 in pieces. I told him $200 and he had to put it back together lol. He agreed
    I researched the motor and found that most people didn't think too much of them and I got a few pointers on extending the motor's life. It wasn't crunchy any more so I had a win!
    After it's first battery pack we agreed that something had to be done about traction. The stock tyres just weren't up for the job of keeping the thing straight. A set of Louise Pioneers soon fixed that! It was a dream to drive! We both loved it and it performed EXACTLY like a short course truck should. Sideways and lifting the inside front wheel through the turns yet completely controllable on full throttle thanks to the wheel/tyre upgrade. Happy days!!
    The motor lasted 3-4 more NiMH batteries before giving up completely...
    Right!!
    Away I went again researching what the motor options were and also thinking that I should get myself my own RC car so that the two of us could bash around together.
    While I was saving another friend announced he was selling his custom ProLine SCT. It had the Velenion VXL-3S system and was complete but needed some parts replaced as he'd crashed it after 1 minute of building it in his driveway lol.
    I collected it and swapped the motor and electronics into my son's Slash. Holy damn! She's awake now! On 3S it did a standing backflip on the bitumen lol. My son runs it on 2S and loves it. I also put the RPM front and rear bars on it as they matched the body scheme better and I was wanting anything but blue.

Now the bug has bitten. I found an immaculate '95 Tamiya Fighter Buggy RX in the local trader for $30 lol. It's been a labour of love full custom job including 4700kV brushless power & ESC, wheel/tyre upgrade, modified shocks, springs, steering gear, turn buckles, uprights, full ball bearings on all 4 wheels including the diff (which was immaculate). Hi Tech steer servo and 2.4GHz radio gear. Different body (Mad Bull - think Grasshopper II) which I custom painted to try and replicate the colour of a baby blue pearl Hoffman Taj bmx bike from the '90's. It's not quite finished.

I then won an eBay auction for a MARUI HUNTER that I didn't even know I'd won lol. I got a message from the seller a day or two later haha..!

Next came an og Tamiya Hornet that had period correct hop-ups like shocks, sway bars and a black can Sport Tuned motor.

Then my ex tells me she found an old RC in a bin and would I like it...
    Hmm... I was apprehensive as I knew she had no idea and that I was positive it would of been a nasty pile of junk.
    It ended up being an og Tamiya Grasshopper haha I almost died!!!
    It needed a clean up but it's really not that bad after a bath and some of the crazy paint removed.

Next up I got a VKAR RACING Bison. On paper this thing has everything you need to have some serious fun. Trouble is, the chassis is complete garbage and I've now replaced it 5 times. I'm over it so it won't be getting fixed. Not in the immediate future, anyways. Shame, too, as I modified a '72 Ford Bronco body from a HPI Savage to fit and it looked cool as... Ahh I'll get it going again one day...

I joined a Tamiya fb group and I ended up with an original '85 Tamiya HOT SHOT which I'm in the process of upgrading. Should be fun once a few replacement parts arrive.

Here's some pics.
    Cheers for now,
    Craig

[​IMG]
    Koop's Slash

[​IMG]
    My ProLine SCT

[​IMG]
    MARUI HUNTER

[​IMG]
    Fighter Buggy RX when I got it home

[​IMG]
    Fantastic condition.

[​IMG]
    Almost complete!

[​IMG]
    Tamiya Hornet

[​IMG]
    Tamiya Grasshopper

[​IMG]
    Tamiya HOT SHOT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Forgot to mention the mid '90's Traxxas Bandit lol.

[​IMG]
    Bison with Bronco body.

#1 CRACKLES 76, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Greenie, Antho11 and Little Rascle like this.
  2. Little Rascle

Little Rascle Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my A462C using Tapatalk

CRACKLES 76 likes this.
  3. CRACKLES 76

CRACKLES 76 Member

Thanks man!

Little Rascle likes this.
  4. Little Rascle

Little Rascle Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You're welcome.

Sent from my A462C using Tapatalk

5. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Welcome Crackles !!! Isn't it odd that the Head Moderator is ALSO from Down under ???
    Love the Old school Tamiya buggies... When you were 15 years old there was nothing more terrifying than Piloting a Grass- Hopper!!!

6. CRACKLES 76

CRACKLES 76 Member

Haha right you are brother!! I would of loved a Tamiya ANYTHING back in the younger days... I bmx'd instead...
    True? Where's the moderator from in Down Under?

7. CRACKLES 76

CRACKLES 76 Member

I'm very much considering putting a 16T Snow Panther brushed motor into the Grasshopper lol. I'll have to order a full bearing kit to help things along.
    I do like it sitting on the shelf in one piece, though... :)

8. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Shoalhaven NSW

Its me lol..

CRACKLES 76 and Little Rascle like this.
  9. CRACKLES 76

CRACKLES 76 Member

Oh haha!!
    I found this place researching the snow Panther motor lol.
    I think it was your video! :))

10. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Possibly champ... Still running the Snow Panther 35T right now lol

11. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

welcome to the forums

12. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hello and welcome to the Forum

That's quite an impressive collection you've found in just a bit over a year.

13. CRACKLES 76

CRACKLES 76 Member

Cheers and thanks. Actually only been into it since the first week of February lol. That was when the first (Koop's bright coloured Slash) RC car was purchased :))

14. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

OK, I thought "last February" meant 2016.

15. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

Was up!!

CRACKLES 76 likes this.
  16. CRACKLES 76

CRACKLES 76 Member

Got the "63" stickers and "GUILTY AS CHARGED" stickers in the post yesterday. Playing on the "Judge" sticker I put below the windscreen. The guy nailed it. Same font and colours as the judge sticker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"GUILTY AS CHARGED" could prolly do with being a little bigger but I'm happy with it for now.
    Next to paint the driver and fit him up so I can get the roof stickers on...

Little Rascle and Greenie like this.