1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobby wing 35a issues

Discussion in 'Race - Electronics' started by memphis m3z, Aug 6, 2013.

1. memphis m3z

memphis m3z Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey guys I just got a hpi flux 2 sprint from a guy it has a hobby wing 35a esc and the Hpi 5900kv motor in it he ran a 2 s lipo in it when he showed it to me I get it home and plug in a 2s lipo and it runs for like 10 seconds and then a lot of cogging and then a little smoke from the esc ran over and unplugged it tried a NiMH and same thing!!!!!! wtf? Any help would be awesome I'm really concerned because like I said I watched it run for like five minutes on another 2s before I traded now I can't play with it :banghead:

2. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

ummmm............:shy:
    smoke from the ESC is NEVER a good sign sorry........
    hate to say it, but theres a good chance the ESC is cooked...

does the esc light up, make any noises, do anything????

EDIT: 35A esc and 5900kv motor.... hummm, i'll look into it, but that motor sounds too big you that esc..... could be wrong tho, i'll look it up......

#2 Greenie, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

i'm pretty sure(still, could be wrong), but i think that, that motor is too big for the esc........
    manual for the 35a esc, says down to a 9t brushless, about roughly a 3650kv motor

4. memphis m3z

ELiTE MEMBER

It lights up and the fan turns on with all the batteries but it cogs and don't do anything but get hot and then I give it throttle that's when it starts to smoke

5. memphis m3z

ELiTE MEMBER

And how do I know how many turns a brushless motor is

6. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

yeah, thats an ago old question. cause each company makes them differently, the kv and turns dont quite match up, so makes it really hard.

5900kv is like up there in the 5.5t, 4t turn sort of area, as far at i can work out.....

7. memphis m3z

ELiTE MEMBER

Oh wow well I need an esc that can handle that motor but I don't want to spend a fortune would a vilenion from traxxas work

8. memphis m3z

ELiTE MEMBER

Oh never mind I found out that they don't have a motor limit so looks like I'm good on that cuz I got one of those so in theory the 3500 vileneon motor would be fine for the hobby wing maybe just swap escs