1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holmes Hobbies motors

Discussion in 'Trail Truck Electronics' started by RCaddictFromCT, Jan 20, 2016.

1. RCaddictFromCT

RCaddictFromCT New Member

Can someone explain to me what is special about each of the Holmes hobbies brushed motor series?

2. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    All HH are rebuildable and come with outstanding customer service. They are designed specifically for crawler applications and priced competitively depending on your needs.

Torque Master series are a great typical 3 slot wind.
    [​IMG]

CrawlMaster are a 5 slot for extra smooth startup and control. A 13turn 5 slot is similar in speed to a typical 27turn 3slot
    [​IMG]

Here's a primer from Holmes site:

http://holmeshobbies.com/3-slot-vs-5-slot.html

RCaddictFromCT, Cultus and Y2daT like this.
  3. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

good explanation ( dont forget the soft copper brushes ) they are tougher and handle water better then standard carbon brushes found in most electric brushed motors .

RCaddictFromCT, Cultus and drzoo2 like this.
  4. RCaddictFromCT

@Y2daT and @drzoo2
    How good are brood racing motors? What is the difference between the "Expert" and "Pro" motors from Holmes?
    Can I buy a torquemaster and then put a crawl master amuture in it?

5. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Expert are still machine wound while pro motors are hand wound. Hand winding allows for perfect layers of wire. Better magnets are used in their higher priced stuff.

Also, I didn't know HH made a "cheapo" sport non-rebuildable motor. Must be to complete on the super low end. My Crawlmaster set me back around $35 and I can rebuild it. That seems very fair for the innovation of the 5slot.

I've never used brood stuff. I have no experience. Holmes sells a lot of parts and he is active in other forums.

6. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I currently have a 16t crawlmaster pro and can honestly say it is the smoothest brushed motor i have ever used as well holmes does his research and is more than willing to give advice on the best gearing for your application and his customer service is superior to others.

drzoo2 and Magnat007 like this.
  7. RCaddictFromCT

Do the crawl masters have lots of torque? Would you suggest a Holmes motor over a Tekin motor?

8. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've had no Issue in the power department and my application is quite heavy. That said I think the sweet spot would have been the expert motor. The $10 difference in better magnets for a bit more power would be handy. To answer your question, pick a motor for the style of driving. I went CM because I wanted as smooth as possible driving for a class1. And I didn't feel it was lacking.

9. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Like drzoo2 said there is definitely no lack of power with the crawlmaster. The 13t crawlmaster is like a hopped up 27t and the 16t like a 35t their great motors.

10. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

the HH trail master is the sealed cans .. i have not tried one but suspect them to be about like any sealed can??? http://holmeshobbies.com/TrailMaster-Series/
    I do have the HH br-xl brushed ESC and it is awesome .( i have the wp version) and go submarine mode .... i run various drill motors on 6S until they are fried ... several 550 motors are toast and the BR-XL keeps on getting it ...( New dewalt in the mail )
    a 35t motor and 3s is a perfect setup for most trail/crawler applications .... or a equivalent holmes motor .
    Brood is a brand that i have not tried but Hear only good about .... so i would not be afraid to get one .