1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homemade Custom Bullbar

Discussion in 'Mods, Paint & Body Work' started by BlackPhoenix, Aug 10, 2014.

1. BlackPhoenix

BlackPhoenix Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So with my current trailer build going on I have had a few ideas to improve the look of my SCX10. And this bullbar was just one of the two. The other is coming later. :hopemyfakesmilework

Anyway with this little build that only took me today to build I used some pictures off the internet to use as my inspiration. This bullbar was a bit tricky to build as welding the brake line without putting a hole through it was a bit of a challenge. I had planned on making up the frame and using some steel strips to go over the vertical bits like in this picture.
    [​IMG]
    But in the end I decided to just make the whole thing out of brake line as it would be a lot easier and less mucking around with all of the bits of sheet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got the frame welded up but that process was becoming very tricky and some of the pieces aren't on straight but I think it gives it a sort of beat up look to it so I kept it as it is. Then I used some of the mesh I used on my trailer on this. I could have welded it on like I did for the trailer but this stuff is really thing and I would end up putting holes everywhere in it. So I went for the other route and just used some small zip-ties to hold the mesh onto the frame.

Once I had all of the pieces of mesh secured on I was going to spray paint it black but I did not have any so I used silver instead. And I am glad I did as I think it turned out looking better.
    [​IMG]

I was looking at welding some small strips of steel to mount it on the inside of the chassis rails at the front but making sure they would be secure and in the right spot would have involved possibly putting holes into the mesh so again I went for the other route and just used large zip-ties to secure it into the mount that is normally used for the SCX10 bumpers. This also makes it easy to remove and position differently if need be.

And here it is sitting on the SCX10. I am happy with the look of it but I fell it would look a lot better on a different body. I may get a Hilux cab which will also work well for the next add-on for this truck. Tomorrow I may chuck the Cherokee body on and see how it looks with the bullbar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I were to do this again I would definetly take more time to get it all lined up right and sort out a better mount for it. Let me know what you guys think.

#1 BlackPhoenix, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. prophet

prophet Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think it looks good mate! Nice work! Now you just need a herd of cows to.....herd. lol I'd be keen to see what it looks like with the other bodies you have too. :)

3. CalvinJames

CalvinJames Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I was more thinking to run the cows over... Good job on the bullbar too! :)

walter likes this.
  4. BlackPhoenix

BlackPhoenix Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

[MENTION=9012]doguss55[/MENTION] [MENTION=21201]CalvinJames[/MENTION] Well there is some cows in the paddocks behind my house, but they aren't quite 1/10 scale so it would be a bit tricky.

I chucked the Cherokee body on the SCX10 and I think it goes a bit better with this bumper because of the higher body. I will have to look at some new bodies I can get and I may also make up a different style bumper that will maybe work a bit better with lower bodies like the Honcho and Hilux.
    [​IMG]

5. CalvinJames

CalvinJames Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It looks great with the Cherokee body! as for the cows it might be a little tricky running them over :XD:

6. segersshop

segersshop Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks awesome !! I use 3/16 solid rod welds nice ! May I ask where you picked the mesh up at ? Great work keep it up !

walter likes this.
  7. jackrc

jackrc New Member

bloody hopper stopper mate!!! haha
    BEAST!!!!!

#7 jackrc, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  8. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

good job

9. Nikaem

Nikaem Well-Known Member

the mesh is easy go to the local dollar store buy a mesh trah basket you end up with a good supply from one trash basket