1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I see if a motor works

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Snow1223, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Snow1223

Snow1223 New Member

Long story short I found a Traxxas slash in the garbage where I work. It is a Traxxas slash vxl. How can I test the electronics without a remote. I really don't want to go out and buy a remote I just want to see if the electronics work so I can sell it. I have very little experience with rc stuff so any help would be appreciated.

2. SEK494

SEK494 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Without a remote there is very little you can test. with a brushed motor you can hook it directly to a battery and it will spin. With a brushless (Three Wire) you need a controller and battery. You could take it apart and free spin the motor and make sure it spins freely. It may have a little resistance. Make sure the pin does not move in and out of motor housing. Thats about all you could do.

My opinion, check to see peices are broke. If not, invest in a remote. Could always use it on somthing else. you just need a cheap two channel 2.4ghz.

3. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    and if it was thrown away for reasons of a bad esc(biggest most expensive part on any electric rc) get a hobbywing ezrun 60amp esc they are like $40, and I have heard are pretty decent or a sv3 sidwinder esc from castle is about $57, with 3.5mm bullet connectors, you can solder the output leads, and add a battery connector of your choice, if this turns out to be a winner that you dug out of the trash, I would suggest getting lipo batteries, and a charger. Nice find :D These hobby grade rc's aren't disposable really, so I am curious as to why somebody threw it out lol.. As above, check the steering servo, take apart the motor, check it out, get a cheap radio and receiver combo and hook it up to the esc and servo and get a battery to power... A fsgt2 would probably be the cheapest basic radio setup you can get at about $30, if you are interested in rc's I would try to fix the slash vxl up and have fun instead of selling it

#3 Spence123, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    A brushless motor is a generator. If you have a meter, connect the meter to each terminal. Put the shaft in a drill and spin it slowly. You should measure the same output on each phase. As for the ESC, you may be able to do some resistance measurements but you not going to really be able to test it fully without running it.

5. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    who the heck throws away a traxxas slash vxl?! if you have a hobby shop nearby they can probably test it for you, might charge a small fee. they could also tell you if there's anything else wrong with it

drzoo2 likes this.
  6. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    ^^^ best answer of the day award......

7. motobuddy2112

motobuddy2112 New Member

Wow lucky find