1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I keep dirt out of my Stampede 2wd gear assembly?

Discussion in 'Bashing Chat' started by PJbottoms, Jul 5, 2018.

1. PJbottoms

PJbottoms Member

I keep getting "clicking" sounds whenever I run through dirt/mulch which is usually easily remedied by a quick blast of the air compressor, meaning I'm getting small dirt particles in there through the motor mount. Anyone have any quick and easy D.I.Y. fixes to cover up the gap in the motor mount area without creating too much heat for the actual motor? You can see in the pic where it's getting in there and what I'm trying to plug.

[​IMG]

2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

stuff some foam rubber in there

Antho11 and PJbottoms like this.
  3. PJbottoms

PJbottoms Member

Just to be sure, that won't cause a heat issue or put stress against the motor correct? I was thinking of trying to make a plug out of the foam stuff the traxxas aluminum parts came packaged in. I have a few pieces of that laying around.

walter likes this.
  4. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

the stuff the parts come in may not let air thru i was thinking about the stuff air filters are made of

5. PJbottoms

PJbottoms Member

Yeah I figured that might be an issue. Thanks for confirming. I luckily found a bag of filter covers for an old aquarium I had. Seems like it might fit the bill.

walter likes this.
  6. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    +1 foam!

7. PJbottoms

PJbottoms Member

Just to follow up, I ended up cutting and using some aquarium pre-filters. . Worked GREAT! Kept out the dirt and crap while causing no extra heat on the motor. :)
    Plus I have plenty of filters left over for future ones when this one finally gets too soiled to reuse anymore, and they are only $5 on ebay for 6, and you can make a few motor filters out of just one in the bag.
    Here's a link to the ones I got if anyone else has the same issue.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pre-Filte...m/261354439132
    I imagine it would work great on the Rustler and Bandit as well as the 2wd Stampede as I believe they all share the same transmission case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

walter likes this.