1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Waterproof my Servo's

Discussion in 'Aqua Mods & Fabrication Tips' started by RustyWrench, Jun 29, 2013.

1. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If your Servo has rubber or silicone seals in the casing you most likely have a Servo that is factory waterproofed or at least water resistant... Keep in mind taking apart your Servo and waterproofing as I do will void any and all warranties... Do not attempt if your not confident in taking Servo's apart and putting them back together...

I suggest if you do want to attempt this type of waterproofing to use a old Servo that you don't care much about in case you mess it up... Probably the single most important thing for your Servo to function after all this is the gear orientation, make sure you get them all back in place the way they came out, also do not turn the potentiometer, this orientation has to be correct as well...

Ok step one remove screws from back of Servo...

[​IMG]

You will see something like this... You can see in the next picture this Servo has been wet before (look at the rust stains) and repaired once (see the nasty solder blob around the Black and Brown wires on the circuit board)

[​IMG]

Note the position of the gear set, or even better take a pic... As you can see here this Servo has metal gears and bearings...

[​IMG]

Under the gear set there is usually a small screw holding either the Servo motor or Potentiometer in place...

[​IMG]

#1 RustyWrench, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. RustyWrench

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    This Servo however has a screw on the inside holding the Potentiometer in place and the Motor is glued in to the case...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So in this case I coat the back side of the Motor with PlastiDip... The front of the motor is already sealed...

[​IMG]

Here you can see the Potentiometer has a couple of vent holes in it, squirt in Dielectric Grease in there... Then coat it with PlastiDip be careful not to get any on the shaft where the gear set sits... PlastiDip will not stick to Dielectric Grease, so clean off any excess...

[​IMG]

#2 RustyWrench, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  3. RustyWrench

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Finally coat the circuit board with the PlastiDip...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like to try and put the Servo back together while the PlastiDip is still Tacky... Not Wet...

Before reinstalling the gear set I grease the bearings by removing the dust cover squirt grease in flip repeat then replace dust covers wipe off the extra grease... I have found most of these bearings are not sealed, I like to replace the both bearings with a sealed one but I don't think this is always necessary...

[​IMG]

Now for the front cover I just seal the Servo Horn shaft with a blob of thick grease, be careful not to get any grease in the screw hole, thread lock will not work on anything greasy or oily...

You don't have to Waterproof your Servo's this way, you can just paint the PlastiDip over the areas where the Plastic components meet, or you can dip them as many YouTube video's show how... Better yet buy Servo's that are waterproofed by the manufacturer...

I Waterproof as shown above for a couple of reasons; I like the nice clean look no blobs, but most importantly if you dip your Servo there could be moisture inside it already, and this can cause a condensation cycle that would never end... When you paint the circuit boards there is no way for any condensation to get in there... If your Uber paranoid you could use my method and then dip the Servo... And even go one step further and fashion some sort of waterproof box to go around it...lol...

Dean

#3 RustyWrench, Jun 29, 2013
  4. RustyWrench

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    #4 RustyWrench, Jun 29, 2013
  5. MrRcFanatik

MrRcFanatik Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That's a pretty helpful vid too man... I think I watched that one time when a bearing seized in my Slash 4x4! LOL! It's crazy how a bit of WD40 can totally dissolve rust!

Thanks again for posting up the steps above! Really helpful for us all! :)

6. prophet

prophet Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Great write up RustyWrench. Very useful and informative, and should help out a few people. It's always good to see that there is more than one way of doing something, so it gives people the option to choose which method best suits them. :)