1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Build A RC Tonka Dump Truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty & Construction' started by Juddp, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Juddp

Juddp Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So I figured I would start a build thread for this project so I can show you all how to build a rc Tonka dump truck :) I will post all the build videos as I finish them and if you have any questions I will get back to you as soon as I can! Here is Part 1

P.S. This truck is for Medic!!! :)

[video=youtube_share;Av1Kl8Nm20Y]http://youtu.be/Av1Kl8Nm20Y[/video]

#1 Juddp, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. Juddp

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    And Part 2!!

[video=youtube_share;c8s0umh52XI]http://youtu.be/c8s0umh52XI[/video]

3. Juddp

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So I have some time today to type this up while im waiting for my mom to get out of eye surgery.

So lets start out with a parts list ?

First off you will need an all metal tonka dump truck.

1 scx10 front axle with a metal steering link, 1 scx10 rear axle ( using under drive gears in the rear will help it steer with a load), 1 scx10 transmission with cross member, and the parts to make drivelines out of traxxas slash axle shaft parts.

Also if you want it to dump you will need a Firgelli actuator L16-R in a 100mm travel with 63:1 gear ratio. And if you want the tailgate to move you will also need a L12-R in a 30mm travel with 50:1 ratio.

Now the rest of the electronics are up to you for what brand. But you will need a strong steering servo with at least 200oz torque, an ESC, a BEC and a 3 or 4 ch radio. Also I recommend a good 35t or 45t brushed motor!

The raw materials needed are, ½” x ½” x 1/16” aluminum angle (about a foot and a half ), and 1” x 1/8” aluminum bar( about a foot and a half) and about 30 3M screws 8mm long with nuts

Tools needed are,
    A hack saw, a drill with 5/32” bit, tin snips or an angle grinder with cutoff wheel and a file to clean up all the sharp edges

Im pretty sure that the rest will be covered by the videos!

#3 Juddp, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. Juddp

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The next 2 videos are uploading now :)

5. Juddp

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Here is part 3!!! [video=youtube_share;vQNuGSL2DX0]http://youtu.be/vQNuGSL2DX0[/video]

6. Juddp

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    And Part 4!!

[video=youtube_share;AihCbsLhmTg]http://youtu.be/AihCbsLhmTg[/video]

7. kelownaCRAWL

kelownaCRAWL Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

this is so awesome
    great job!!!
    Aaron will surely love this

8. Juddp

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Its all done and on its way to Medic!!

[video=youtube_share;M48ElojYSY4]http://youtu.be/M48ElojYSY4[/video]

9. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That was one of the fastest build I've ever seen and it came out really nice! How much did it cost in all to build the whole thing including the Tonka truck?

10. Juddp

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks! this is the second one I have done so I kinda knew what I was doing already :) As for how much, its hard to say with this one because most of the parts were sent to me from medic :) but I scored the Tonka on ebay for $25!

11. MonsterMark

MonsterMark Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have always wanted to do this and now i know the bast way to!! Thanks

12. Batram225

Batram225 New Member

So I have 0 knowledge about anything rc but I really want to get into the heavy equipment rc stuff. I want to build one of these but have no idea what to buy. I see what u posted but there's so many different options and I have no idea the difference. Anyone able to help? I know this is a old post but hopefully someone will see this.

13. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to be a fully functional dump truck I can only help a little, if you want only to be able to haul dirt and manually dump it then I can help a little more, 1st axles, axial or redcat Everest gen7, be sure they are the gen7 axels not the everest10, the gen 7 has metal lockers were the everest10 has plastic, either one would be a good choice, you'll have to make your own mounts no matter which axle you use, the axial transmission or good aftermarket transmission for the 1st gen axial scx10 would be best, the redcat is cheaper here but also fully plastic geared which wouldn't hold up, for a controller, a flysky gt2 would be fine, it's a cheaper controller but good quality, if you want dump option you will need a radio and receiver with 3 functions to run the linear actuator that lifts the bed, the tailgate would be optional and could easily be made to just swing out when the bed tilts, a good esc would be a hobbywing 1060 brushed, and just about any decent 45 or 55 turn motor would get you started, for tires a simple stock set of axial scx10 1.9 wheels and tires would get you rolling, you can upgrade later if you want to, the only other things I can think of is drive shafts, a set of drive shafts from junfac, or similar metal shafts would be stronger than plastic, but the stock plastic scx10 wild bore drive shafts are very strong and would last quite some time, and a battery and charger, if you're not familiar with lipo batteries and their care i'd start with a standard nimh battery, something in the 3000 to 5000 mah range, and buy a charger that is made to charge nimh batteries, otherwise all I can tell you is look up more videos on doing the conversion and study them very closely, they will help you along the way. hope this helps at least a little