1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to make a roll cage HELP!!!

Discussion in 'OFF Road Build Projects' started by ethan mulhollen, Mar 13, 2017.

1. ethan mulhollen

ethan mulhollen New Member

hey all i need help im currently trying to make a roll cage for my unimog but need tips or tricks any help is awesome

2. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What type of materials are you using??? Brass? Stainless? Steel Rod? Brake Line? Plastic? Aluminum?

Thanks to @muddslinger

Dean

3. ethan mulhollen

uh im using a thin steel rod i got at home depot

4. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

Can you supply us with more info? So that one of us can actually help you. You want help with your roll cage and your using steel tubing. That's like me asking you for help with my homework and I'm using a pencil. I personally dislike having to pry information from people to help them out. Please do not take my words the wrong way, it is meant as constructive criticism. If I sound like a jerk I apologize.

Ok now back to the task at hand. I assume you have a Welder, Bender, Cut Off Tool, Sand Paper, Files, Clamps, Vice and PPE? So your looking for help with? Design? Compound Angles? Bending? Mounting? Or???

I do my work in Brass but I'm sure I may be able to help you along, Also there are some very skilled people here that do work in other metals.

Take a look in here. http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/class-one-rubicon-build.38916/
    And Here http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/refurbishing-the-tf2.41182/
    Maybe that will help with some Ideas for you I know it's Brass Work but the concepts are similar.

Maybe post up some pictures of what your working on and where you are having problems.

Dean

#4 RustyWrench, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    DodgeZippy likes this.
  5. ethan mulhollen

yes i do have do have all the tools mentioned above and we are planning on brazing the metal together and im needing help with mounting and the angles of attaching the metals together[​IMG][​IMG]this was my first atttempt and it was to heavy so were going to a way smaller metal

6. Bluedually

Bluedually Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Pics aren't working for me. Also what are you using for a torch to heat up the metal? Getting proper heat and using the right rod and flux matters.

Y2daT likes this.
  7. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

what type of welder do you have available ?? if a shielded mig or tig .. either could be used to weld very thin steel .. like steel brake line ... which being hollow will be much lighter then the steel rod .. if a tig is available you could weld aluminum rod or brake line and achieve a even lighter setup .. a bit simpler then brazing would be to use pluming solider along with silver solider flux .. as for a torch map gas or butane will be hot enough ( ive successfully soldiered razor blades with a Butane Jet lighter and plumbing solider ) .. the plumbing solider is way tougher then electrical solider .. true silver solider like used in hvac requires a very high heat around 1000F and may melt the material you attempt to solider .. but is even stronger then the plumbing solider due to a higher silver content

Bluedually likes this.
  8. CelTiar

CelTiar Member

Media:
    For my Mad Max styled ECX Torment I use hollow aluminum rods cut them to fit a basic Shape and used leather strips and super glue to tack them in place then built additional supports and Cosmetic design into the cage after it was all superglued I when back over it with some epoxy to solidify the joints Abit more. That method would be the easiest but if you want more sturdy I'd go with steel and use a tight or oxy accetline welder set up to make a solid cage

Y2daT likes this.
  9. Captain Thiele

Media:
    What I did for my roll cage was create a cardboard mock up of the roll cage. I basically made a body and then drew out the lines on the cardboard mock up. This stuff takes tons of imagination. I used the cardboard mock up as a template and layed out the steel on it and welded it there.

DodgeZippy and CelTiar like this.