1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hpi BAJA 5B SS Build

Discussion in 'Large Scale RC' started by Antho11, Jun 15, 2014.

1. CalvinJames

CalvinJames Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Man! it's great to see a baja being built, not only that but to see one sooooo squeaky clean like that!! After the Slowmo Day with Greenie my 5sc ss is a dirt ball with bald tires!

Antho11 likes this.
  2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That's the part that sucks the most about Rc they'll never be as clean, but the fun part is getting them dirty! Weather hasn't been allowing me to continue break-in maybe today it won't rain for 15 minutes hopefully. [MENTION=21201]CalvinJames[/MENTION] what's your YouTube channel and does your Baja bottom out easily?

3. CalvinJames

ELiTE MEMBER

My Baja does bottom out at the moment (because the back shocks are full of air making the truck very bouncy) But other than that its pretty good. Though I haven't had much of a chance to bash it as it's winter here in Tassie, so it's pretty wet (and I have only had it for about 3 months). I'll go take a pic of the underside of it, I reckon i'll get a Proline chassis protector for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#23 CalvinJames, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Antho11 likes this.
  4. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It doesn't have a plastic skid plate in the rear? What upgrades do you have? Are you going to refill the rear shocks, with what weight oil? Sorry for so many questions.

5. CalvinJames

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah, I took it off because the clip that pins it onto the chassis plate snapped off. Yes I will refill the shocks with the "Baja Shock Oil" 5wt 100cc. The upgrades I have are: Turtle racing v2 pullstarter, Turtle racing HD enclosed clutch carrier, Bartolone Torpedo pipe, Hostile rear hubs, Team Fast Eddy bearings throughout the whole truck, Team Twisted throttle/ brake linkage, Dark Soul Axels, Killer R/C Super Bee kill switch, Killer R/C heavy duty on/off switch, InteriaRacing steering links, Monster Locker Diff, Outerwears on shocks, crankcase, pull starter (not that it needs it, but it came with it) and one on the air filter, Upgraded receiver pack I think it's a intellect 5000mah I think.., Savox steering servo and a Hitec throttle servo and a Team Chase pull starter handle. I will purchase a Vertigo triple carbon brake calliper as the stock brakes are terrible (for me) and I am also looking possibly at getting a Zenoah G320RC 31.8cc motor and some Hemi Boots. I hope this helps and if I've forgotten any upgrades I will add them to the list!

#25 CalvinJames, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Antho11 likes this.
  6. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Wow a lot of upgrades! I find 5wt oil in the rear is soft, when I change the oil I think I'll go to 30wt. I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm new to 1/5 scale. Which upgrades should I get ASAP?

7. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm having problems with my Baja stalling at idle. It starts up easily and then idles for 30 seconds and then it stalls. I've ran it for about 45 min in total and that includes idling for 15 minutes. The first tank went well and now I'm having problems. Now it can even idle for a minute. I can run it but when I'm off the throttle for too long it dies,and I haven't touched the needles. I don't know if this is the problem but there is gas on the black fuel line where it goes into the grommet. Any solutions?

8. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Tried it again and ran perfectly, didn't stall once. I wonder what happened? Maybe it was just air in the fuel line.

9. CalvinJames

ELiTE MEMBER

Hmmmm.... maybe I'll go for some 40wt that I have as well. As for the upgrades to get asap depending on if you're bashing it in dirt and rock I would probably say get the enclosed clutch. You might also find the stock pull starters break fairly easily ( The guy I got my Baja off had broke 5 ) so pull starter could be an option too. If you're bashing pretty hard then the dark soul axels would be an upgrade to consider as they are a lot beefier. And if you will be jumping lots then probably get the hostile hubs. But the most important one would be the Kill Switch!! Don't want you're $1500+ Baja taking off on you! Sorry that I don't know much either as I'm a newbie to 5th scale too!

Antho11 likes this.
  10. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm finished breaking in my Baja this weekend and man is it fast. I still didn't go full throttle on a straight away because I don't feel ready yet. I think it's the mixture of SIZE and speed! The problem I'm having is when I jump it the rear bottoms out. I think the ride height is a little too low. I had one of the rear shocks leak a little at the cap.

11. CalvinJames

ELiTE MEMBER

I'd say just bump up the ride height a little and see what happens!

Antho11 likes this.
  12. nyctankman

nyctankman Member

Set more preload on the shocks, for the leaking shocks you can buy the dark soul o-rings that are thicker than stock, or you can put Teflon tape on threads of shock body, works like a charm. [​IMG]
    This is the setup i run, 3 springs on rear, you may want to try stiffer springs.

Antho11 likes this.
  13. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I made a dirt guard out of a plastic sheet, that I put between the inner side of the chassis and the radio box and gas tank. Hopefully it'll keep some of the dirt out. I'm going to change my stock preload to the Baja 5sc which has more preload than the 5b. Thanks for all the advice guys.

14. nyctankman

nyctankman Member

[​IMG]
    I run the full force RC rocker panels on my on Rd, what I found that keeps most of the crap out of my off Rd basher is the proline under tray. Grass, rocks, dirt, leaves, ect tend to collect in the rear of my off rd rigs & the under tray keeps most of it out.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Had to melt the rear to form around my protecta plate with heat gun, but will fit 5b skid plate & body perfect. [​IMG]
    Hope this helps

Antho11 likes this.
  15. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I went to run my Baja today and ran perfectly for 6 minutes and then started to stall at idle. It's the second time that this is happening, last time I just left and went back to it and seemed to fix the problem. I don't think I moved something by mistake that solved the problem last time. I haven't touched the tune yet. I have a funny feeling it has something to do with the fuel lines. Is it overheating? Any suggestions?

16. nyctankman

nyctankman Member

Could be your plug, it's probably fouled out, put new plug & tune from there.

Antho11 likes this.
  17. CalvinJames

ELiTE MEMBER

I agree with nyctankman, throw in a new spark plug and tune it up. I had the exact same problem and I just lightly sanded the spark plug and tuned it up, worked like a charm ever since.

Antho11 likes this.
  18. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I ran my Baja yesterday at a construction site and everything was going well. Until.... I ran it into a puddle of water, thankfully it wasn't too deep. I ran to it as quickly as possible and shut the engine off because I don't have a Outerwear on the air filter. It got a little wet so I didn't want to risk it sucking in water. When I got home I blew off most of the water with compressed air. I'm going too clean the air filter today an re-oil it with Honda air filter oil. One of my fears of running a engine happened!

So far I've only driven it off-road twice and man does it love drifting and doing donuts! It handles medium sized rock road really well and does well on dirt roads. It just takes more control then a 4wd but that's the fun of 2wd! On-road it's not as tipsy as I thought it would be. I tried running it somewhere that I would consider it Savage country with big rocks and sharp jumps. The only problem it had was the ground clearance which would sometimes scrap the rocks. That is with the stock shock settings. Overall I really like it and it's awesome!

This weekend I'm going to get it dirty!

#38 Antho11, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  19. nyctankman

nyctankman Member

Enjoy bro.

Antho11 likes this.
  20. CalvinJames

ELiTE MEMBER

Hehehe.. Have fun! I'm just waiting for winter to be over so I can BASH HARD!

Antho11 likes this.