1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hpi BAJA 5B SS Build

Discussion in 'Large Scale RC' started by Antho11, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Change of plans I couldn't bring the Baja because there wasn't enough space in the car. Instead I brought my Savage and had a blast. I jumped the Savage and one of my back wheels got jamed and the arm almost came off, I was pretty sure it wasn't broken. Then I took that section apart and noticed the pin holding the arm almost came out causing the arm to come loose and jam the dog bone. Fixed it no problem.

Hopefully I'll get the Baja out soon.

2. CalvinJames

CalvinJames Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That's a pain you couldn't take the Baja out... But, bashing your savage is better than nothing!

Antho11 likes this.
  3. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Got to run the Baja today at a dead end and finally got to go WOT. It's really awesome and it attracts a lot of attention! I noticed that the stock can pipe is leaking where it connects to the engine and making the oil go all over the brakes which is dangerous considering the mass that needs to stop. I'll try tightening down the bolts and see if that helps.

I also had the throttle stick for a second which scared me A LOT! This is no the first time it happened and I'm not sure what or where it's sticking. I think it's the linkage that's getting stuck in the piece of plastic that connects to the carb. On there site Hpi says to drill the hole bigger. This is the link, I was also thinking of doing the brake mod that they suggest. http://www.hpiracing.com/en/bulletproof-baja

Any suggestions?

4. CalvinJames

CalvinJames Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

They sure do catch peoples attention! especially mine with the torpedo on it! as for the leak try tightening it down and if not maybe get a new gasket. And for the throttle linkage I got a Team Twisted linkage: ht160 and have never had it stick! and it sure would scare you having a $1500+ runaway Baja! that's why I got the Killer R/C Kill switch, when that happens just turn the remote off and it'll kill the motor!

Antho11 likes this.
  5. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think I might of figured out the throttle getting stuck problem, I noticed the thumbscrew adjustment would go behind the shock tower and bind a bit. Ran it yesterday and it didn't happen again. For the muffler leaking, I took off the muffler and noticed on screw was loose and I had half a gasket left. There was my problem the gasket, so I searched through my extra parts that it came with and found another one. I got a sheet of gasket material and traced the extra one it, then cut it out and there you go a new gasket! The sheets pretty big so it should last a long time in case I need to make new ones. I tested and no leaks. My tires are getting bald and I'm soon going to have to look for a new set for the rear.

6. nyctankman

nyctankman Member

Are you running on or off road?

Antho11 likes this.
  7. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So far I've only had the chance to go off-road twice because I've been really busy. Last run was mostly on-road with some turf. This weekend I should be able to take off-road on some nice dirt roads.

8. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Took it out yesterday and had a blast. Racing up and down the dirt road and doing donuts. I also ran it on some wet grass and man were the tires spinning! So much power=fun!