1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hpi Blitz Budget brushless

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Joker777, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Joker777

Joker777 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Simple question. What budget brushless combo would you recommend for my Blitz. Funds wont run to castle mamba or velineon set up. I would like to run 3s and have heard that the leopard set up has a tendency to break in the larger 1/10 trucks but are ok in the smaller tamiya 1:10's
    Oh and i should add, i dont race and i wont be racing, mainly due to the fact that the nearest track is miles away so it will be just for bashing, i just need more speed and a better brake.

#1 Joker777, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  2. Joker777

ELiTE MEMBER

Anyone? Anyone at all? :-/

3. scoobyblue

scoobyblue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Id go a ezyrun water proof w8. Handles 4s an fully programable. About 70 bucks. You can get it in a 80amp or a 120amp esc. And I run a venom brushless with mine. 4800kv. That was about 40 buks. Hope uts some help. Also hobbyking has same sort of set ups as well.

4. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

whats ya budget???
    we can search for ya then within your budget

5. Joker777

ELiTE MEMBER

Yes sorry i should have given you my budget. £100 /$150 for motor and ESC really is the maximum i can run to.

6. RCADDICT99

RCADDICT99 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Maybe the Castle Sv2/3800kv combo. About $110. Great torque on 2s in my blitz at 88 spur 17 pinion. Enough to break both dogbones and diff cups. Takes up to 3s just need to mess with gearing a bit. One of the best systems in my opinion for the price. U might want to adjust the throttle curve, with mine it pops wheelies from being stationary. Well good luck with your blitz and above all HAVE FUN

7. Joker777

ELiTE MEMBER

Ooh castle! I did not think castle would be in my budget. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. RCADDICT99

RCADDICT99 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah anytime. just remember that the Sv2 isnt waterproof. but some Plasti-Dip will fix that.

9. Joker777

ELiTE MEMBER

If i got this:
    http://bit.ly/11QoVo1
    What if anything should i do to the gearing. I will be using both 2s and 3s lipo's but nothing higher.

10. Joker777

ELiTE MEMBER

11. dna4engr

dna4engr Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This combo won't work very well in the blitz. It's for a 1/8 buggy or truck. Really overkill. Since its a 2wd sct and so light you can run higher kv than most 4wd sct. I ran the castle 3800kv sidewinder combo in mine with stock gearing. You can go up to the 5700kv as long as you gear it down quite a bit (small pinion w big spur ).

There is nothing wrong with hobbywing but if its in your budget I would recommend the castle system. It can handle 2s easily and run 3s with proper gearing. Plus castle has a pretty good warranty as long as u don't modify the parts. My favorite feature of the castle stuff is the auto lipo. I can bounce between 2s and 3s without having to program. I know this isn't exclusive anymore but I like it. Plus the new sidewinder v3 is waterproof and the size is really compact for what it can do.

Dna

12. Joker777

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok so i have decided to go for a castle system i have the cash ready and can go a few pounds further with my budget.
    I see castle do a waterproof speed control.
    So i would like a waterproof one and i'm confused about which KV motor to go for.
    I want it to be powerful and fast.
    In fact i'm in competition with a mate and his rustler so i need to beat the hell out of it off the line and all the way to top speed.
    So please which castle combo do i get. And how many teeth pinion can i run.
    Sorry for all the questions but it has confused the heck out of me and i just want to get this right first time.

#12 Joker777, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  13. Joker777

ELiTE MEMBER

I guess i just need someone to hold my hand and say JOKER for the love of god get this combo you wont be disappointed.

14. Tmoon

Tmoon Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The Castle Sv2 and 3800 kv motor combo is AMAZING. StUpId amounts of torque. guaranteed to throw you off the line and into the checkered flag. I believe it is waterproof. I had it in my stampede on 2s. I had to weigh the front down with 10 oz. of weight just to keep it on the ground. It also shredded the stock tires on stock gearing.

15. Tmoon

ELiTE MEMBER

I had 2 of the hobbywing w8 escs go up in flames on me during my tmaxx brushless conversions. I was running 4s on a 2800 kv 4 pole hobbywing motor. I had the one replaced and the second one went up in flames too. My gearing was 20/65 so that wasn't the problem. they just stopped and then smoke, then fire. I cant recommend them, but maybe that's just me. I bought a Castle Sidewinder setup and it did wonders, a few houst and some plasti-dip later, and I was in the mud.

#15 Tmoon, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  16. Joker777

ELiTE MEMBER

Thank you Tmoon.
    This is the combo i was hoping for.
    http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/178759/
    As you can see it is out of stock this is just one of many places that are out of stock in the uk.
    I can not find anyone in the uk who actually have it in stock :-(

17. Tmoon

ELiTE MEMBER

Check this out

SCT410 Castle Creations 1 10 Sidewinder Short Course ESC w 3800KV Motor Combo | eBay

Totally worth it. even ships your way, I do believe.

18. Tmoon

ELiTE MEMBER

4600 kv is a little much on the esc. its always better to go with lower kv (~3500 is the middle) and higher cell count. less heat and more torque and the ability to have more speed at the expense of more heat.

19. Joker777

ELiTE MEMBER

20. Tmoon

ELiTE MEMBER

I have ran it on 3s. the lower kv motor allows it to not pull as much current on higher voltage. just don't run it on 4s. Also, the motor runs in a good temp band, take the motor fan and put it on the esc. it fits perfectly. it even comes with the zip ties. Jang from UltimateRC has a great review on That exact setup on YouTube.