1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HPI FLUX!!! 3s. ***DO NOT DO***

Discussion in 'Race - Electronics' started by Megatoys, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Megatoys

Megatoys Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ok I here of people running 3s in there flux.... I called my local hobby store to ask and they also were unclear so I decided to skip the middle man and go directly to the source and CALL HPI DIRECTLY. I called them and talked to a dude on the phone that worked in the tech department!! I asked him if I could infact run 3s in my car! He said "YES YOU CAN, YOU MAY NEED TO ADJUST YOUR GEARING IN YOU HPI SPRINT FLUX, hang in sir let me double check.." a moment later "yes sir it's good to roll with 3s"

Ok sweet thanks alot dude. I hung up and plugged in a 3s and it worked fine on the bench. The tires ballooned like crazy. So I put the body on and headed out side :(

Half way up my drive way I heard a sizzle sound.... And I glanced thru the window of my car and THERE WAS FIRE AND SMOKE AND OMG IT WAS AWEFUL!!!

I don't think i have ever ran and unplugged a battery so fast in my entire life!!!
    So now I get to call HPI tomorrow and tell them what happend. And they had better be replacing my friggin ESC for free cause to be honest I am FRIGGING CHEESED. After one of there customer service tech people told me it was fine. When obviously it is t ok to do.

So basicly do not put 3a in your sprint!!
    Brushed or brushless
    2s IS THE MAX YOU CAN USE.

I am not saying I hate HPI I am just saying maybe the guy was an idiot or having an off day who knows..

I will keep you all posted on how this turns out.

2. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

yeah man!!! keep us posted!!!! i've been running HPI for years now, and although i've never had on of their brushless systems, their cars are good, and i've never had to ring customer support, but i am VERY keen to hear on how they will handle this one!!!!!!!

3. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Ya I find that strange that he would tell you yes you can and then this happens to you. He must of been having an off day like you said because I have never had issues with HPI or there product. I think there stuff is great and durable.

After talking to you I went and tried to get some information on the FLUX for the sprint 2. The USA site gives no information on it from what I could find, but the EUROPE site does give some information on it. Now this is what does not make sense to why they would word it this way and I can see how you could could of got some false information from HPI.

Sprint 2 FLUX

With the RTR Sprint 2 Flux you get the HPI Flux Vapor electronic speed control and a zero maintenance brushless Flux Vektor 5900 motor for stress-free fun, high top speeds and blinding acceleration! You get to choose the battery to use in the car – any stick-pack style RC battery (Ni-MH 7.2 volt or LiPo 7.4-11.1 volt) fitted with a real Deans battery connector will fit in the chassis. Use any RC fast charger to top up the batteries, and you can keep running and ticking off laps for hours!

FLUX VEKTOR 5900Kv BRUSHLESS MOTOR FEATURES:
    High torque/high temperature neodymium magnet
    Oversized precision sealed bearings
    2.3mm 1/8" hardened steel shaft
    4 Pole rotor for more torque
    Triple insulated windings for long life
    Black anodized case
    Easy to Install
    Compatible with any sensorless ESC

FLUX VAPOR BRUSHLESS ESC FEATURES:
    6-7 Cell NiMH/ NiCd or 2S LiPo
    Waterproof!
    Can handle 40% MORE power than Motiv ESC
    Ultra low resistance (.0007 ohms / phase)
    Sensorless technology eliminates additional sensor wiring and complexity
    Lithium-Ion Compatible. **Programmable Lithium under-voltage cutoff protects delicate lithium packs from over-discharge
    High performance cross-cut aluminum heat sink
    Smooth startup and run with sensorless motors (Patents Pending)
    Linear Torque Braking/ allows better control on corner entry

So as you can see it says it will take up to a 11.1v lipo which is a 3s but the esc can only handle 2s lipo. Makes it easy to get confused. Should be made more clear.

I wish you the best of luck dealing with them, and sure you are not going to have any problems getting it replaced at no charge.

Keep us updated for sure.

4. Megatoys

ELiTE MEMBER

Ahh yea the hobby store guys he said the motor is good for 3s but the ESC isnt. I asked tho of the ESC was on for 3s cause it's the same as the firestorm flux witch says 2-3s right on the box.... I don't see why they would give u a 2s ESC and a 3s capable motor... But then again

87kmh on 2s is tonns

Cause on 3s there's a guy on YouTube who did a 3s lipo and hit 148kmh... HPI prolly doesent wanna build u something that fast out of the box. Who knows.

I'm just cheesed cause tomorrow is monster trucks at BC place and my dad is coming over and were Gunna have man day with him and my son and I wanted to show off my new ride and now I can't cause some jag off at HPI doesent know his stuff lol

***deep breath and relax***

I'm calm just annoyed now I can't play with it for like 2 weeks

5. Fordy

Fordy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thats pretty bad that it went up like that, oh well I guess its called the "Vapor" speed controller for a reason now lol. Im interested to see if they will replace it with one that will actually handle 3s...

6. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

If the other one comes with one that is compatible for a 3s then it should not matter for the one on the sprint 2 right? You would think that anyways.

Suck no running it for two weeks though, but at least you are hitting up the Monster Truck show. I did not even know about it till the other day and could not get tickets. lol

7. Megatoys

ELiTE MEMBER

I doubt it. Franky I don't care I just wanna play with my car ! And at 86kph (53mph) it's fast enough on 2s... I just wanted to "test" it you know lol push some limits lol

8. Megatoys

ELiTE MEMBER

I'm buying tickets there. U don't have to get them online ..... I don't think! Omg. Now I am Gunna look

9. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

:O_O:

the fear of no tickets just hit home!!!

:scared:

10. Megatoys

ELiTE MEMBER

Lots of tickets left

11. Megatoys

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok UPDATE.

Called my hobby store today and they say! That cause the motor is 5900kv!! It can't take more the 2s because it draws IMENSE amounts of power....

And that's y the ESC blew up!
    So basicly the ESC can take 3s only if ur running a 3000kv motor or so. But it's risky.

So 2s is the only safe option!
    HPI isn't open this weekend so either I wait till teusday and the shop can call and deal with it, or I can call on Monday and deal with it on my own.

I'm not goin to say anything about the whole 3s thing. I'm just Gunna say I ran a 2s and after a few mins she smoked up! Most likely a product malfunction. And hope they send a new one.

On a lighter note everyone.

I have a venom SC truck that has a brushed 540 12t in it and they claimed it to be water proof.... 1 snow day prooved that wrong... ESC smoked lol. (I have back ESC luck)

I sent 1 email explaining what happend and in 4 business days I had a new ESC waiting for me when I came home from work. No hassle no ending the old one back.. NOTHING. But in that 4 days I took the old EZ run brushless out of my old drifter and put it in my SC truck and now I don't wanna put the brushed crAp back in! Lol
    So now i have a spare 240A ESC and 12t motor combo laying around... Yay

12. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

MY HPI Firestorm Flux was like that when i first bought it.. the ESC was rated for 3S lipo when running the 4600KV or 5700KV motor.. but only 2S lipo for the 6900 and 7700 KV motors... so your explanation makes sense.. good luck with your troubles.. hope you get a replacement without too much hassle. Ive never had to deal with HPI but ive heard they have pretty good tech support.

13. Megatoys

ELiTE MEMBER

Lol pretty good till they tell u how to "safely" blow up ur ESC. Ahahaha

But yea thanks eh!

14. Rdecker20

Rdecker20 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

wow! that is awful. Even the hpi tech guy said it was good... what did he "actualy" do when he put you on hold to check...mystery... sounds like he should have been more thorough in explaining things..and further diagnosing what it was you were wanting

15. Megatoys

ELiTE MEMBER

Yea 8 weeks later I got a new ESC from them. Lol crap if you ask me

16. northwest4x4

northwest4x4 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

they still replaced the ecs for you thats all that counts, I wish I had the money to go to lipo and brushless, I run brushed in my rigs, they are in the 21 and lower turns but thats what I can afford, I do run one lipo in my wraith but the motor is still brushed, I want to go brushless in my civic build to make it even more over the top

17. Drachen

Drachen Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Any ESC can handle a 3S, But if your not careful you WILL FRY THE ESC AND/OR MOTOR. For example, the Losi Night Crawler ESC says to only go up to 2S, I can run (and do) a 3S but for no more than 10 minutes, This isn't recommended for people who cant afford to replace electronics, Its not smart but if your careful about it you can get by.

18. FluxAscender

FluxAscender Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

A tip for anybody buying HPI "Flux" products: Do NOT call HPI with questions about the motor and ESC. Call or email Castle Creations directly, as HPI has a BAD tendency to make mistakes or overblown claims in their literature and ads, and most of their customer service people are just operators with flow charts, like an outsourced IT help line. If you contact Castle, you'll be getting advice from people who are real RC hobbyists, and more than likely either designed or tested the item in question.

19. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If you want to go brushless I would highly recommend the Hobbywing EZRun brushless setup its affordable and works great!

20. Goat-tastic

Goat-tastic New Member

Well I ordered the HPI firestorm flux last year and the first run I made with it on a 3s battery the ESC came unstuck from the chassis and went underneath the back tire ripping the wires out of it. HPI REFUSED TO REPLACE IT!! I was so mad with them because this was the first product I had ever purchased from them and there it was sitting on my shelf and I couldnt play with it.