1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothetical question for someone interested in starting flying

Discussion in 'Pilots Lounge' started by K_Note72, Oct 27, 2012.

1. K_Note72

K_Note72 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

OK so for the past 3 years I've been into ground-only and considering trying out flying. I've had one heli and one cheapy glider before but those had some issues. The heli was an exceed madhawk 300 which was hard enough just to get it hovering properly, the slightest breeze and it'd try to get away from me. The glider was a Skyfly which I could fly ok but it always liked to pull to the left and for the life of me no amount of tweaking would fix it. A few years down the road, I'm thinking about giving it another shot. Now of course with all my funds set on getting my pc built this isn't gonna come about for quite a while. There's no telling I'll even stick with it or just sell the kit and give up trying to fly entirely.

But my question is, if I do try it again, should I get a plane or a heli?

I'm wondering which one is generally easier to control, given the flying area is a football field with little wind. My house has lots of tall trees and bushes around it and the nearest open flying area is a clearcut logging area up the hill, but that has LOTS of wind and there's no safe spot to land so I'll stick with the football field which means I won't be flying it too often.

Also, which kits of each area are beginner friendly but also still fun to fly when I get more skilled flying it. I don't wanna get a kit that'll be too easy to fly and when I wanna push it's limits more I get bored easy. I don't judge by brands, mainly just whatever is easy to fly, is halfway durable in a crash and is at least halfway affordable (call me cheap if you want, I don't wanna pay a fortune for something I could very easily break). I'm sure many of you have expensive kits that are only for experienced flyers, but can anyone give me some input here? It'd be appreciated.

#1 K_Note72, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. johnnymac

johnnymac Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ive never actually flow either, however last night i did use a friends flight sim software. I could easily get the beginner planes up and do loops and land them. Heli's on the other hand were super hard to fly. Sorry Im not much help, why not get your hands on some flight sim software for the winter and then you could probably step into a plane that's not such a beginner plane.

3. Tiernan85

Tiernan85 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Here's the way I learned to fly(not necessarily the best lol)

Oh, in my experience, planes are way easier to fly than helis.

I bought a Parkzone Corsair RTF. I didn't want to crash it so I never flew it lol.

Decided after I bought it that I had best practice a bit. So I downloaded some free flight sims and spent a couple hours total getting stuff down getting my bearings right while flying a plane towards me. After a few hours on the sims, I still did not want to fly my plane cause I wasn't confident enough. So, I bought a Parkzone Trojan mini(It was like 50 quid) and then I wasn't as worried if I do crash it as it's a good bit cheaper.

First time I flew it was great(in my opinion). I was not steady in any way but I did not crash. A good rule to abide by when starting to fly is always fly two mistakes up, that gives you time to correct if there's a mistake. After just a few flights on the little fella I got pretty confident. But I held off still and put about 30 odd flights through the little one so that I was really comfortable and more familiar with my belly landings etc.

Finally I decided to try the full sized corsair, I was nervous but it had to be done. Flight went perfectly and my landings were spot on. I flew it a good bit and things got better and better. I've not been flying for long, only started this past spring/summer.

I like the parkzone planes because they are pretty tough, but even more important they can be put back together when they are broke and still fly pretty darn good. My brother has a Parkzone p51 and it's had the main wing snapped in half, the fuseloge broke into numerous pieces and more. Some time and some gorilla glue has kept that bird in the air though. I had a midair with my corsair and his spitfire and again a bit of glue cured it all and she's back in the air as good as ever. I don't find them that expensive either.

That's pretty much how I learned from scratch.

4. Fordy

Fordy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If you want a good plane check out the bixler on hobbyking. There tough, there fun, they will do aerobatics when your up to it. There a great beginners plane. Best of all there cheap! There like $100 for a rtf (including a battery AND charger!).

5. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

I've done the flight sim thing, while back i heard about a cheap flight sim on the xbox arcade that lets you try out different plane styles and the controls are the same (left stick throttle & rudder, right stick elevator and ailerons). But of course looking at a digital plane is different than looking at a real plane. I got the core basics down, I just need practice on something halfway easy to fly (that wont break the bank of course). I don't really wanna pay $200+ for a foamie, a halfway reasonable price ceiling. I'd make an exception if it has a radio and the radio is reviewed to work decent. Otherwise I'll look for a low cost radio. I heard the turnigy 9x with a frsky module works good with no "brown outs" so thats an option. And please, no suggestions to get a Spektrum radio. Its a top end radio but its WAAAYYYY outta my price range :ouch:

I heard about that, some people are still sketchy about it but everyone who owns it says its a great plane and supposedly the bixler 2 is even better than that. Isn't it inspired by that guy off flitetest? Gonna be one of my options if i go the plane route.

6. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

As far as a heli goes I really like the Blade 120SR and Novus 200fp, both are indoor outdoor helis fixed pitch and the Novus is just a tad bigger.

7. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

So far I have a couple options for each list

Planes:
    -Hobbyking Bixler 2 $70 ($150-$190 to make it RTF)
    -AXN Floater $60 ($120-$160 to make it RTF)
    -Pop Wing $80 ($140-$180 to get RTF)

Helis:
    -Dynam E-Razor 250 4ch XFP $110 (RTF)
    -Double Horse 9116 4ch $60 (RTF)

#7 K_Note72, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  8. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

I'm starting to consider whether I should add quadcopters to my wish list options. For a while I figured they were for more-experienced flyers and builders but there's more & more RTF models emerging, supposedly easy to fly. My question is out of a plane, heli or quad, which of the 3 handles best when a gust of wind suddenly comes up?

9. dabbad

dabbad Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I personally like helis but have never flown a plane. Years ago I had gotten a Kyosho nitro heli and even had an instructor to help me. He was defeted in trying to teach me! I actually flew it 5 times and crashed it 6 times. I gave up, put it back together and sold it. So, along come electric helis that you fly indoors. So I bought an Air Hogs type and thought it was really cool. Then I got the Blade CX2 and it really gave me a chance to "learn" how to fly. Got pretty good with it so I got the Blade MSR which is a micro heli but pretty much full function and TOUGH! Both Blades gave me the basics on how to hover and fly so now I "think" I'm ready to take on the great outdoors with a bigger one but probably will stay on the electric side maybe a Blade 400 or something? Oh, by the way, I intentionally put a fan on a table at mid to high speeds and flew into the wind from different directions to try to learn how to correct in those situations. I know it's not real world but it helps and with both Blades being as tough as they are and really cheap to fix, it (to me) is a great starting point.

10. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

the ar drone 2.0 is another option on my plate, given that i already have a tablet. it is in a higher price range but thats considering the fact that i wont need to get power systems, radio or battery and i have an fpv option. ive even heard about a mcguyver mod so i could rig it to eventually run on an air radio.

11. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

I'm taking the DH 9116 off my list. Some deeper digging found many buyer claims that the swashplate design leaves poor response & performance.

My revised list:

Planes:

Helis:
    -Blade 120

Multirotors:
    -AR Drone 2.0 $300 (RTF w/ tablet I already have)

12. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

Found another option, hobbyking's wing wing z-84

Wing Wing Z-84 EPO 845mm (PNF)

My revised list:

Planes:
    -Wing Wing Z-84 $60 ($130-$160 RTF)

Helis:
    -Blade 120

Multirotors:
    -AR Drone 2.0 $300 (RTF w/ tablet I already have, plus a short-range fpv system)

13. Callmecowboy

Callmecowboy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I cannot believe no one has suggested the hobbyzone champ. It's 90$ rtf and I crash mine two to three times daily and every now and then I put som hot glue on it. And it's a three channel. Excellent beginner plane if you ask me.

#13 Callmecowboy, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

I didnt suggest it cowboy because I have no personal experience with it or the brand. sounds like a good one for a young beginner though

15. Callmecowboy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Haha yea it's the first and only plane I have. I can't believe how it's stood up. U Tryed the blade mcx? The micro one?

16. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

I have one of those sitting next to my desk right now lol I got it a few months ago and mastered flying that heli enough that I could chase my chihuahua around in a small livingroom with kids sitting and walking around now Im ready to graduate to something bigger and better :yaehamnotdurnk: [video=youtube_share;3PlN9OCcras]http://youtu.be/3PlN9OCcras[/video] Sorry for the poor video quality but I had a 14 year old recording with his cellphone.

17. Callmecowboy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thats awsome man. its the first helicopter i i got. did you have problems with the swashplate sliding down? or it not wanting to go forward like it should? and come on man does anyone ever really master somthing haha. jk man im sure ur great with it

18. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

ok I'll check out those two options. never heard of the champ and i always figured blades in the upper price range

19. Callmecowboy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Actually both the champ and the blade mcx are rtf for under 100$

20. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

with the champ im just à bit concerned with the prop on the front. might break away in a steep landing or crash