1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothetical question for someone interested in starting flying

Discussion in 'Pilots Lounge' started by K_Note72, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Callmecowboy

Callmecowboy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Of you get one deffinetly look at a prop saver. It's a little foam cone that fits over the center of the prop to absorb impact. Just do som research on diff planes but I've crash my champ straight into the ground at full speed before ran it into the house, cars, dogs, etc. spare parts are really cheap to

2. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I considered it mastered when I reach the limits of the helis flying ability lol and the swashplate never slid down it didnt really care to fly forward very well but did reverse GREAT! so I trimmed a bit off the little black band that keeps the battery from going in too far and found taking off about 2 milimeters off and adjusting the controllers settings till it didnt constantly move forward unless i wanted it to and it helped alot! I flew the heck out of that thing easily put over 100 flights on it I think the motors need replaced! And after I do replace the motors Im handing it over to my son to let him learn to fly it.

3. K_Note72

K_Note72 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

question: which stays steady better when winds pick up, the hk skywalker or bixler 2?

4. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Bixler 2. Having no rudder would hinder the Skywalker's ability to stay level, and as a wing it would have to stay moving faster to avoid stalls. Also having flaps on the Bixler 2 will let it fly nice and easy at very slow speeds.

5. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Actually, that's just a foam spinner (which is also a good shock absorber) but a prop saver is a mount that holds the prop on with just rubber bands, so if the prop hits the ground it just comes off instead of breaking, hence saving the prop.

gpma1190-motorb.jpg

6. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

At this point im torn between bixler 2 & axn floater. both have good marks especially regarding ease of flight and value. the bixler 2 was my main choice because its newer and gets so much attention for its stability, but unlike the bixler 2 the axn is in stock at the US warehouse (shipping from china kills the wallet) and it comes a bit closer to RTR for the same price. anyone flown either one, or both, who can chime in on what choice?

7. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

So far im still set on the bixler 2. Gonna set it up with a basic 30a esc, a 2200mah 3s and a basic hk radio. all that im waiting on is for is it to come back in stock, its out in both ARF & kit form from the us warehouse.

8. Tallon 1

Tallon 1 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    im sorry to say that but you should really save up a bit for a a Spektrum radio. ok ...it expensive but it gives you the ability to fly everything from parkzone with one radio( planes and helicopters ) and they have a trainer switch ,so if you have an experienced pilot near you , you will be able to ask for trainer assistance---> you fly and if anything goes wrong your trainer catches the plane for you.

and the biggest + fast frequency hopping = no wrong signals anymore ( i flew under High voltage pylons.. literally [video=youtube;51cMnzV6c-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51cMnzV6c-A&feature=player_detailpage#t=63s[/video] ) and it worked out fine .With my old 40mhz i would have had no chance at all :/

and for your first outdoor flight choose a day with close to , no wind at all( especially not 90° to your runway ).

9. Tallon 1

Tallon 1 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  10. K_Note72

ELiTE MEMBER

I thought this thread would've been buried beyond recovery by now, I already have the bixler and an hk 6ch radio.

By the way, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the radio. Hasn't had any problems and programming isn't a hassle either. For me Spektrum is way out of my range and waiting to afford it I would've been better off just giving up on the whole idea. Price IS a factor, and I won't pay 3x the price for some feature I'll hardly make use of (especially since there are no other pilots around here to assist). And I don't take risks like flying under HV pylons, so that part won't matter to me

I've pretty much figured out how to fly it, now all I need is an area with a bigger landing path because my small field has too much scotch broom to make a decent approach