1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have destroyed my transmission in my Rustler VXL

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by RobbieRusty, Nov 7, 2014.

1. RobbieRusty

RobbieRusty New Member

I also stripped all of the gears in it. I want the transmission to include gears. I need to know what the best transmission for the money is on the market is for a Rustler Vxl. I want it to be Durable and easily taken apart. Thank You for helping me. This is a video of it just for entertainment.[video=youtube;ZZuCCTskJ0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZuCCTskJ0g[/video]

#1 RobbieRusty, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

I believe that the Pro-Line 6092-00 Performance Transmission is the best you can get @ 75 dollars complete and assembled as found on ebay.
    I am only guessing but after all the researching I have done.... this is what I want in the end.
    as for easily taken apart I think that all traxxas 2wd transmissions require almost the same amount of time and labor to take apart. so you will have to decide what quality and price you want there are several different companies that make aluminum cases I only like the proline because the precision allows a good swap with out worry that the holes align to your chassis and the case halves them selves, but there are several choices that very well might suit your needs.
    if you need help finding different brands I guess I could help make a list but the transmission being such an important part
    it would be better to make sure you research your needs in depth,
    pro line,,,,flm,,,,atomic?,,, rpm to start.
    most of my searching was for aluminum. case.

3. RobbieRusty

RobbieRusty New Member

I have looked at the Proline Transmission but I heard one of the gears was plastic and alot of people had stripped it first run.

4. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

good thing you looked at that it DOES say plastic gears. I will just stay with the integy case with Robinson racing hardened steel gears and RR sealed diff also I have extra a lock spool in the stock diff case to lock the diff for dirt bashing.

5. RobbieRusty

RobbieRusty New Member

How much total do you think that would cost?

6. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

Amazon.com: Gear Box, Silver: Stampede, Rustler, Bandit, Slash: Toys & Games
    originaly all you need is the case and all the stock gears from the original trans just swap nright over.
    after i exploded the diff gears bashing on 3s i invested in the Robinson Racing harden steel gears and seald diff.
    but all you need are the case to start and the stock insides from the old case and direct swap.
    i would buy a coupl of extra diff gear sets @ 7 per set .
    the hardend steel gears i am not sure i needed them as the old ones were still good,,,i just put the hardened steel gears just to upgrade from the regular steel ones that would have been fine also i wanted extra gears just in case. so now they are extra.
    so if your diff gears are what is broke now then about 50 dollars including shipping

p.s. this case will not hold the stock wheelie bar or motor guard so another 12 or 20 for different brand metal wheelie bar.

#6 Monkeypiarat, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  7. jawehner1419

jawehner1419 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I really havent been able to find an upgrade/hardened steel diff/ring gear. I tore my diff apart(10+ teeth off the ring and at least on off the the plant gears) and was looking for a harden set and cant find one. The top gear for me was fine and has stayed fine. I am gonna get the robinson idler and then the stock plant and diff. Unless some one knows of harden diff.

8. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

earlier i stated i used the Robinson Racing hardened gears and sealed diff.....the hardend gears were RR the sealed diff with the hardened ring was hot racing.
    Hot Racing Traxxas Electric Rustler Aluminum Differential Case TE38CH | eBay.
    sorry for the mistake ,,,hope this helps.