1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just bought and received some axial metal case gears, any good?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Spence123, May 2, 2016.

1. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hi all, one upgrade for my rig was to get the axial metal gears for the transmission. I hope they are good, I spent $35 on them, and if they do break I could call axial. I am just worried that since an amazon review somebody said they broke down in 10mins, 85% of others said they are A+. I thought I would just buy the gears that were made by the people that made my truck. Now I am a little nervous. Anybody have experience with them? They are axial genuine brand metal gears for the ax10 scx10, wraith, and others... Or should I have bought the RR robinson racing ones? Ergg! It would have only been $27 to replace the robinson racing idler and diff gear with the steel ones, now I am worried! Plus after installation there is some play. I already feel ripped off

Thanks-
    Spence

#1 Spence123, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Spence... You can only take reviews so far...
    I mean the person that broke them inside of 10 mins probably either didnt install them correctly or jumped them off a 10 story building..

You need to put less faith in what you read.. and more faith in your self... I am sure they will do you just fine..
    Some play is a good thing.. It means under load they wont be grinding together causing friction..

scalemadness and darkside0914 like this.
  3. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks, the build is going well, but a little lack of $$ as I am not employed yet:( 60amp hobbyking esc and programming card, super swamper tsl xl's 2.2" tires I am pretty sure will fit the rocksters, I saw a picture of an axial wraith with the regular size 2.2" tsl's on it with the rockster rims so I am pretty confident. Then left is the $15 3300kv 3650 sl motor:) that is build complete but I am still having a hard time choosing what to buy next:D

4. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Your not doing to bad for a build with no Job...

5. Cameron Haga

Cameron Haga Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Sounds like your doing really good without a job . I just had to get rid of one of my cars so I had funds for Wraith parts and I do have a job . I also have a frugal wife who thinks I'm too old to play with toys . I think she is astounded by the amount of money I dump into my little truck . She like to drive it though . But has a hard time spending money on anything . I'm hoping she will catch the addiction when I get her her own but we will see . I might end up with a scx10 with a pink beetle body. Lol

DivineChaos and lout like this.
  6. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Worry less. UNless you are putting some serious power through the transmission or you are hauling some serious weight you will be fine. Just run it and see how it runs.

You'll be golden

7. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks guys, I mean 2s brushless vs 35t 2s brushed probs is still a huge speed increase. I also know for a fact brushed motors drop quite a bit more voltage under load than a bl system, I think this is true as the 35t rc4wd was slow as a snail(I also think timing was all the way twisted to the not advanced at all position. But when the battery got to a certain voltage it would lose quite a bit of torque, the esc was set to NIMH.

I am likely going to run a 2s setup or possibly 3s geared a little low. With a 3650 motor as that is the correct short stubby size that is needed as any longer will hit the right rear link. I also don't think a 3650 motor would have the extreme power to blow apart those metal gears.

Funny thing tho I knew about the Robinson racing gears and in a way forgot about them.

Well now I wait for rc stuff to sell ugh I have no patience :D

8. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    my guess is the guy that supposedly wore them out in 10 minutes was using old sloppy worn out bearings and 3 cell brushless setup. those gears should last you a good long time. if your rig is older you might want to consider a bearing kit. they are like $15 on ebay. then you know for sure your gears will be happy.

DivineChaos likes this.
  9. K9654

K9654 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I am running those same gears on a castle brushless on 3S, no problems!!! Remember this about reviews, if someone has a good experience somewhere or with something they will usually tell a few people close to them, if you someone has a bad experience somewhere or with something, they will first deny any responsibility, if their actions contributed, and they will tell EVERYONE. Just my opinion and experience. I think you will be fine with the gears my friend!!!! Keep pushing forward on the build!!!! Love to see it when it's done!

10. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks guys, I recently spent $40 on a new axial trans case. It was new everything, new cases new bearings etc. so I used that stuff and packed a little bead of grease around every bearing. This was when I had issues with there being too much play in the topshaft. And I attempted to fix it and ended up breaking the housing that holds the little alloy bushing. There is still a little play in the gears from the top shaft but it doesn't feel too bad, I am just a stickler I mean play is maybe a lot less than 1/4 turn but I wished it were totally tight. I will post the build in the builds section once it's finished. The truck isn't exactly pretty but it looks pretty good.

#10 Spence123, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  11. ThatCraig

ThatCraig Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You should be just fine. Metal gears are as good as it gets any way. I dropped a hundred an put hd hot racing gears front to rear on my rig an haven't been disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yeah an I highly agree with "whynot" you need to shim your gears. Even stock. Not so much the transmission, but keep an eye on the front an rear end.

13. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Actually I am such a nerd, I went shimming the bearings that go into the idler with scotch tape to make the bearings fit in the idler tighter, when in reality, the play was all coming from the slipper plate combined with the tiny gear lash made it feel terrible haha. I just ordered the $17 3650 motor:) there is still a tiny tiny amount of lash tho but a tiny bit is good

14. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What's that motor? Brushless or what? Never heard of it.

15. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The 00whynot combo is a sensorless crawler setup. I just bought one of these, its the perfect kv and size. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201538836601?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    The motor is capable of 16v per the description:) so looks like its 4s capable and so is the esc, that is way overkill, I am likely running 2s or 3s
    the motor won't be running too hot, it will likely run barely warm.
    If you read up on 00whynot's secret weapon brushless combo, you will know what I mean. He turns down the timing to near zero( will be using a hobbyking brand 60amp esc and programming card to do so) and messes with the punch. Dragbrake can also amazingly be adjusted. the result is a like brushed control and sensored control feel with brushless speed

#15 Spence123, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  16. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm gonna stick to my brushed motor. It's been tearing up enough crap lately.

DivineChaos likes this.
  17. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Do I just need a 3s battery an my plugs to run a 3s?

18. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    since judging from your avatar, that is an scx10 deadbolt, the ae-5 is 3s capable, yes you would need to change over the plug or make an adapter. I would suggest traxxas plugs, xt60, or deans, or ec3. Traxxas plugs are the hardest to solder, so I would choose deans, but I am lazy and use traxxas plugs for a lot of my things, deans xt60 and ec3's are by far the easiest to solder

#18 Spence123, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  19. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well I use the male/ female plugs 10gauge from autozone. I prolly need to switch them. But I swapped esc's. I need to check that too.

20. CalebTheRCguy

CalebTheRCguy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Traxxas are really easy to solder