1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I just felt like crawling'." HPI Crawler Project.

Discussion in 'Crawler Build Projects' started by chadTinhaler, Feb 23, 2014.

1. chadTinhaler

chadTinhaler New Member

So, i finally got the on-axle servo mount, form level;3 rc, not 3racing as i mistakenly keep calling them.
    [​IMG]
    Comes with all fittings, nice.

[​IMG]
    Bit of a fiddle to get it on, and to remove all the floppy linkages. Had to move the suspension further back to accomodate the servo, shouldn't affect things too much, hopefully.

[​IMG]
    Side view.
    [​IMG]
    Now there is even more weight on the front. All that is left at the back is the receiver box. I guess if i want to get some lights then there is space for extra electrics.
    All i need now is to find a suitable steering rod linkage and this truck should be all set.

#21 chadTinhaler, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. chadTinhaler

chadTinhaler New Member

DIY time. Ordered some aluminium 6mm tubing, m4 rod and rod ends to make my own steering linkage, should work. I got the idea from scouring other projects similar to mine. Gotta love the internet!

3. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Looking good. I like the window netting, what did you use?

4. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Oh never mind read some more and found it lol.

5. chadTinhaler

chadTinhaler New Member

Ok. Parts arriving. Waiting for tubing now. Decided to order a hpi 55T motor as well. The 27T will go in my mini stock car.

6. chadTinhaler

chadTinhaler New Member

7. creimes

creimes New Member

Very cool build, i have an HPI Bullet flux that I constantly break as it goes way fast haha but I just ordered myself a Axial SCX10 Honcho from the local hobby store and a few parts from asiatees.com, aluminum rear axle lockouts, 25T servo horn, aluminum steering block and linkage and a set of heavy duty steel drive shafts, can't wait to get it rolling, all these upgrades seem great and seems like you get to learn the truck build a little as well having to disassemble and reassemble.

Have you had a chance to test the difference between the 27T and 55T motors yet, the Honcho has a 27T but I don't wanna be all about crawling and able to have some fun with it on the flats as well.

Oh BTW great name lol

cheers, Chad

8. chadTinhaler

chadTinhaler New Member

[​IMG]
    Linkage making time.

[​IMG]
    Almost done one, the threaded rod was wider in guage than i realised, had to do a little adjusting to fit. Should be okay, might order the next size down in rod and make a second set just to be safe. The threaded rod is fairly cheap and i have spare aluminium tubing left over. I would just have to get some more rod ends, which again are cheap.

[​IMG]
    The main linkage done.

[​IMG]
    How it looks when attached, haven't done the other link yet. Should look pretty cool when done, and more importantly the performance should be massively improved.

9. chadTinhaler

chadTinhaler New Member

Haven't tested the 55T yet as i am finishing off the steering linkages, should be done today or tomorrow though, time for another video i think! Yeah, i wanted a little more power on the flat as well, this truck will be a trail/crawler crossover anyway i reckon.
    Cheers.

10. chadTinhaler

chadTinhaler New Member

[​IMG]
    Done. Well i thought i was, until i realised the servohorn was not long enough to give the full range of movement.

[​IMG]
    Worked ok to the left, but to the right it just couldn't quite get full reach.

[​IMG]
    Solution. Cheap but pretty solid. Works great.
    [​IMG]
    looking good i think.

However, the next issue is the transmission. Since installing the 55T motor something is up, maybe something came loose or the gearing is all wrong with such a different motor, i am taking it all apart to inspect the gears and figure it out. The speed was the same as with the 27T motor, but noisier and slightly wavy (if that makes sense), what i mean is it looked as if something wasn't quite picking up, somewhere in the transmission…. Oh well, wrenching time i guess!

11. jeremy878785

jeremy878785 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Man this makes me wish I had my Wheely King back! [video=youtube;9wd_eew7DUQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wd_eew7DUQ[/video] This is whats left.

12. chadTinhaler

chadTinhaler New Member

[video=youtube_share;jEj2j80ZHj0]http://youtu.be/jEj2j80ZHj0[/video]

So sorry for the delay, stuff been going on! Here is the video i promised of my Trailing with the 'Trail Kin' as it is now known. This was filmed in April in the Lake District, here in the UK. We had an excellent family holiday and i got to do a bit of trailing too, cool. Enjoy!