1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need information about my new hobby!

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by RCnoob123, Mar 25, 2017.

1. RCnoob123

RCnoob123 New Member

Hello. My name is william and I was surfing the internet for a new hobby. After 2 hours of searching I found out about rc drifting. I got very interested so I started watching videos about it but I could not find a video explaining how to build the car, where to buy parts etc. I need you guys to send me useful information about rc drifting! Any information helps

2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Welcome to the forums! There are two types of RCs, RTR and kit. RTR stands for ready to run which means you get everything you need to get running in one box, and the car is built. Kit form requires you to buy electronics separately and sometimes other parts. Also the car is not built and you need to put it together. You can buy RCs from your local hobby shop or online.

sweet rc likes this.
  3. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

some RTR cars do not come with battery or charger

Cowboy74 and sweet rc like this.
  4. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Good point forgot to mention that. Thanks @walter.

5. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

6. HalNutt

HalNutt Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nonetheless you can go buy from a hobby store or internet providers. There is also the used section of RC that allow you to buy and possibly talk to the previous owner then and later if you need help. Try RC sparks classifieds and there is Ebay or Craigslist or Letgo you know if your goin for the shiny brand new im gonna mess it up by myself or take someones clunker and gain some experience before dropping a wad of cash for the nicest-best you can afford. Jus my two bits. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweet rc likes this.
  7. sweet rc

sweet rc Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Rc's come in all types, looks, and sizes. Some have more upgrades and some have less upgrades. Some are fully built and ready to go. Others have to be built then extra parts added. It all depends on what you are looking for. The more info you can give us about what you want, the more we can help you and get you into the hobby of rc.

HalNutt likes this.
  8. soup

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

First of all research and talk to your local hobby shop. Figure out what is the best introduction to drifting then do some more research. Then go to the hobby shop and buy (I prefer kits but they may have something pre-built ). On getting it home resist the urge to do something with it right away do some research (can you see a theme here) looking for any gotchas with that particular rig.

The only actual build I can find is :-

after he's built the car he then goes on to mod(ify) the body, 3D print parts and all sorts but you need only watch the actual build (first 37:46) . If the thought of building from scratch doesn't 'float your boat' there may well be RTR (ready to run) rigs availlable.
    At the moment there seems to be a move away from all wheel drive on drifters to rear wheel drive only . Not a drifter myself but seem to remember reading something about RWD not being availlable in any RTR . You would need to ask a drifter what is the best arrangement (AWD, RWD) for beginer drifting.

But as "sweet rc" says watch some Youtube videos look at some pics etc etc and we can maybe answer any more questions.

On a personal note the body he puts on it is hideous. He's right he shooldn't have cut the doors and the screws are WAY overscale (especially on the doors) they look like 2" wood screws too scale

#8 soup, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017