1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro into scaler.

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by Danimacl, May 15, 2011.

?

Should I build it my self?

1. Yes, sounds like a great idea!

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No, RUN your in too deep already!

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Danimacl

Danimacl New Member

Hello ladies and gents, for the longest time I have been wanting to purchase an RC scaler. I think one of the more obvious choices would be for me to just go out and buy some thing like an Axial SCX10, but for some reason that's never been in my nature (to go the easy way and just buy something). I was wondering if with your expertise you might be able to help me build a RC rig? The only catch is that I know absolutely nothing about RC, like at all....... But I do learn pretty quickly and do know quite abit about real full size trial rigs, thanks to 4Wheeler Magazine. I would say I'm very electronic savy as I do build computers. I also love a good challenge and because I still live at home I have the financial freedom to do what I wish with my money. So my first project question is: Is this an absolutely terrible idea?
    Thanks
    -Daniel M

2. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

Hi Danimacl! I vote that you try and build one yourself, it is a total challenge and fun to do. Very rewarding at the end as well.

I have a build thread of my own Axial SCX10 here:

Danboard's Axial SCX10 Honcho Build.

Medic has a build video too as well as Martin of rcBitz. You can follow along with the video when you do your build so you will know what issues you have to contend with. I did, and I had a great time working on mine.

Good luck!

3. mp3ranger

mp3ranger New Member

I would get a SCX10 RTR to get started in scaling. It comes with a good ESC with drag brake and 2.4 controller.
    By doing the ready to run you can see if you like the truck be four you waste time and money on something that will end up on the shelf.

4. imtowman

imtowman <b>RCSparks Addict</b> <br />
    ELiTE MEMBER

With starting in this hobby when the only thing available was kits i didn't have a choice. The RTR's out today are pretty good they package them with some pretty decent running gear and will save you some money for just starting out. Kits can be very time consuming and difficult to build and tend to cost more in the end because you tend to buy better running gear for them over stock. The benefit is when you break some thing you already know how it goes together and comes apart. So if you just want to try it out I'd get a rtr first some you can just get out and run. In the end the choice is yours Danboard's right kits are fun for some and there is plenty of us here happy to help with any questions you may have. I'm not trying to scare you away from kits just i've seen alot of people get in over there heads and end up quitting the hobby because of difficulty with kits