1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kit vs rtr

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Dribble, Sep 1, 2011.

?

What do you prefer?

1. Kit

37.6%
  2. RTR

19.3%
  3. Both

35.6%
  4. No Preference

7.4%
  1. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

So I came across something today and gave me and idea for a thread on here. Now I have tried looking and didn't seem to come across a thread like this so if there is one that I missed I apologize in advance.

What I'm wondering is what do people prefer? Do you prefer a RC Kit or RTR? Maybe you could also give a description on why you prefer what you picked or maybe you like both!

So personally I have only ever gotten a RTR. Now I love the RTR versions as I can purchase and play right away. I have never had a Kit myself but do plan on buying a few that I have my eye on and also plan on building one right from scratch.

I think RTR is great for beginners or good idea to have a RTR before you buy a Kit. Reason being if you don't have a RTR on hand and have never done a Kit before you might rush it and mess it up so to speak.

Now I also think a kit is a great idea that way you can actually put your effort into something that you do and feel good about it when you complete it and you can show it off, as well you can build a kit the way you want it to be built as you are working on it, electronics, after market parts, etc.

So with that said what do you guys prefer and why?:haveaniceday:

#1 Dribble, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. scx10creeper84

scx10creeper84 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'm a kit person,I like to build things and I like the satisfaction that comes with completing one.

3. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

Oh my gosh! This is a difficult choice for me once, but after going through building two kits successfully I have been a fan of it! Very challenging assembling it and very rewarding when completed in the end. You get to know how the thing is put together and know how to fix stuff if ever it breaks.

Kits all the way for me!

:haveaniceday:

4. BradPeat

BradPeat Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have an RTR, I enjoyed it but kinda wish now I built it from scratch. I just want something to work on in my workshop lol. I might get a drift car kit just need esc and servo.

5. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Kits all the way! They usually come with the upgraded parts that you will eventually have to buy anyway. Like aluminum hop ups. I also notice there there is few rtr kits that come with high quality electronics. I have replaced almost every servo and rx and tx in all my kits that I bougt as rtr. I like being able to build it my way and be able to choose the electronics.

6. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator

and you did an awesome job on your last one that I saw

7. Crawler

Crawler Banned

i am a rtr person because if i want something for it i can just get it if i need it.

8. MXRac3r545

MXRac3r545 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well considering ive got 3 RTR 2011 Savage, Brushed MAXX, Losi Micro SCT and my first ever Kit my scx10 and WOW now anytime i can pick a kit id deffinetly get it like the other Kit lovers say U get that reward and every time i drive my SCX10 and someone ask about i say Yea I love it, and I built it and most say Wow Thats Awesome :)

9. kazacorpora

kazacorpora Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

hello,
    For me, the choice is quickly made,
    I have never bought a new car kit or rtr (but used),
    for one simple reason: I can not resist to change upon receipt of a new arrival
    when a car arrives, I open the tool box, I dismantle and assemble and look where I'm going to start a change .... every time I say "no", but I do
    So between kit and rtr, I would say "rtrUsed" (a little complicated guy, lol)
    what is good in the RC is that you can do as you like, rtr, kit,
    whatever, as long as there is fun!
    Seb
    :disappearing:

10. draco

draco Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Me being new to the crawling scene, I am going to have to say I prefer the RTR. I think kits are great too, as a person can let his/her creative "Sparks" fly. So I would have to say it is a toss-up for me. I will be starting with the RTR tho.

11. Boxor

Boxor New Member

Kits for sure, that way I know who to blame if the damn thing falls apart.

12. robot

robot Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

can anyone post polls?

13. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Kit for me. I enjoy the process of building ang the feeling of satisfaction when it's complete.

Also from a practical standpoint, once you've built it completely, you know how to fix it. And as the building goes, you get ideas for mods. :haveaniceday:

14. aceofaxe

aceofaxe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think I actually get more enjoyment out of the guilding process! So Kit for me!!! I like to see the parts that are going into my rigs.

15. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator

I need to get myself a kit. Never had one as I have posted that, but seeing how many people actually build kits not just prefer them but build them is making me envy of wanting one that much more. Only reason I have not is money at the moment hahaha

16. 4WheelBasher

4WheelBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Same here dribble never did a kit but i think a kit is in the near future
    :haveaniceday:

17. Fordy

Fordy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

For me it really depends on the car, if its something im going to race I like to put it together myself so I know its not gonna fall apart on the track. Rtr cars are good too if your impatient (like me) and just want to pull it out and run it. When I get an rtr within the first week its been completley pulled apart, cleaned, re-greased/lubed, and put back together. Even if the rtr's don't come with the upgrades that the kits do I can just buy the upgrades I want and plus, I love getting parcels and I get them that often that I know the delivery guy pretty well. :XD:

18. Fidde D

Fidde D New Member

I like kits....
    Some times rtr got bad fitted screws... Had problem on one car whit that... had to take it down...
    Take a part to pot to getter? no thanks :seriousbusiness:

19. EvaderKMP

EvaderKMP Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I preferr kits, but every now an then an rtr comes along that I just gotta have! I got my Evader DT from a trade, and soon stripped it down to chassis to learn on how to fix it, as well as just getting to know about what parts are what. Right now my only KIT builds are scale WWII era ships. As soon as I get back to work though I will be saving for the kit SCX10. I like the kit version cuz I can choose all the electronics as I build, and I get the deep satisfaction of understanding how my vehicle functions, and I can better plan out maintinance. If I get an rtr, I'm gonna rip it apart sometime anyways I mean who actually leaves their RC's stock these days? My next RC will likely be an Axial Wraith though...mostly cuz I'm a basher, and I think the Wraith would be a sweet transition into rock crawling, as well as just overall fun bashing around.

Right now though everything is on hold. Final score is that I like both kit, and rtr...but preferr kit.

20. The_Infidel

The_Infidel New Member

I dont know yet.... ordered my 1st RTR the other day and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.
    I do however love building models. This may be an automatic answer for me then. I think once I get my feet wet with an RC truck already built, I know I will be building a kit. I love to put things together.
    So I think kits will be my favorite eventually.... I just want to wheel one first!

I built a few full scale rigs in my day, and cant wait to build a kit to match my 1:1 rig! Taking it on wheeling trips id going to be fun.