1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kit vs rtr

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Dribble, Sep 1, 2011.

?

What do you prefer?

1. Kit

37.6%
  2. RTR

19.3%
  3. Both

35.6%
  4. No Preference

7.4%
  1. klatt_89

klatt_89 New Member

I prefer kits personally, although I have had some RTR's. The main thing about kits is you get to build it, get familiar with the vehicle, and customize it as well as they generally do have some upgraded parts. Some things are like the mini Revo I have that came rtr but I took it apart to dye parts which got me familiar with it. Eventually you get to know every rc you have like the back of your hand since you have to take it apart to replace parts. Mostly just personal preference :p

2. leg0man

leg0man New Member

I prefer kits - building is half the fun. If I buy an RTR, I paid for someone else to have my fun, and how well they've done the job is questionable.

3. AJrc123

AJrc123 Honorary Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Really i like both equally it depends on the vehicle, like my losi micro crawler was great as an rtr but my slash i now wish i had bought a kit version

4. SPlat

SPlat Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Scaler's kit all the way. But anything basher rtr is fine because 9 times out of ten I use the electronics for another rig or build. Like my 4x4 slash I owned I added a mamba system then took the vxl and added it to one my wraiths. So it really depends on the kit or rc! But nothing beats building a rig. Even most rtr's I strip to a pile of parts and rebuild with what I really want

5. redwagon13

redwagon13 New Member

I would have loved to get a kit but i had to vote both. I have been out of the hobby for about 5 years and ordered a scx10 honcho last week and just received it today. I got the rtr because of the price i got radio and all the electronics. So much cheaper but i would have preferred to get a kit because of the build and now i have to tare it apart to marine grease and water proof. So for someone with extra parts lying around i would say kit or if they aren't on a budget and if ur on a budget or don't have mechanical skills a rtr. I think it just depends on the individual and what they want.

6. oreo

oreo New Member

witch would i choose rtr kit both or neather.

to me i would choose both the kit and rtr because im 15 turning 16 and ive been in the rc hobby for about 5 years and some times i turn a rtr car into a kit by going on the cars manufaturing website and get the part numbers and i would get about 5 or 6 parts a week and build the car and by doing this i get a better image in my mind on how that car that i just built works and funtions. i would also choose rtr because some times i would rather not want to assemble or build a rc if it is so tecnical to build with so much things working together like a nitro car or truck i do have 1 nitro truggy but it is a sipple design unlike the revo 3.3 or t maxx 3.3 because you have a transmition and 2 speed gears. to me that sounds too much but on a sippler electric rc i wouldnt mind. rtr to me is fun out of the box right away after geting fuel or batteries charged up. the kit is build build build then have fun. i honestly love both because they are both fun

7. mickyd213

mickyd213 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've had both kits and rtr but the last kit I assembled was over 20yrs ago. Recently I have bought a rtr rock crawler which I'm looking to convert to 1/5 courtesy of Medic (Thanks buddy ;) ) I also have a second hand ( definitely not pre loved) nitro truggy that I want to convert to brushless... So I guess it doesn't really bother me coz even with rtr's I tend to pull them out of the box, drive them around and pull em to bits. I dunno, maybe it's my form of ocd or something like that...

8. Schs2012

Schs2012 New Member

RTR for me i can't build a kit to save my life!

9. bigredpig650

bigredpig650 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Upon deciding to get back into RC 6 months ago I opted for the good ol' RTR Slash 4x4... Simple, Sturdy, no messing and no complaints!

HOWEVER...

I have literally just finished my first my first kit build (not including the electronics and body) and for me I think it will be KIT all the way from now on :haveaniceday:

10. Bubba J

Bubba J Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I guess it all depends in what kind of mood u r in. I want a kit so I can build a truck the way I want it and then RTR is nice that way u just put fresh power in it and go!!!!
    Either way it's good as long as you have a RC to play with.

11. Mrchippy

Mrchippy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

RTR & Kit both good it's just the price off the kits that put me off

12. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Kits Kits Kits all the way.

You just never know with an RTR if the assembler was paying attention, had a bad day or was hung over. I only ever bought one RTR and I wish it was a kit so I can be sure, there is always a little doubt in my mind on that one.

If you buy a kit also and do some research prior to building there are always tips and tricks guys have figured out to make them better or last longer that the kits will not have had them done to.
    I just built two XR10 kits, one I did right away and the second I did some research. Turns out there was some tips and now I am gutting the first one to do it to it as well. I would not have wanted these in a RTR kit as it was a somewhat complex build and the chance of error for someone barely getting paid to put it together is just too high.

So kits for me always when possible.

13. seredith

seredith Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

For me it really depends on the reason for the RC. If it's going to be a scaler that you are going to be putting a lot of customization and detail into, then kit all the way. If you are just looking for a racer or basher that you are going to use just how it comes for the most part, buy rtr. Get going quicker. Just my opinion.

14. Thomas Moffat

Thomas Moffat Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I wanted to get the Axial SCX10 Jeep Rubicon kit.
    But it still isn't available here in Denmark, so I got the RTR instead because i couldn't wait any longer.

15. MightySilent

MightySilent Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    As I have had both kits and RTRs in the past I must say both.

I enjoy RTRs due to the fact that you get most everything needed to get it going.
    I enjoy kits because I love to build stuff, and I get the choice of what electronics I want to use in it.

I must include that after a few runs I completely disassemble my RTRs. This gives me a better knowledge of how they were built, and allows me to check for unusual wear.

16. MrRcFanatik

MrRcFanatik Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Like the majority of others on here, I much prefer getting a kit to a RTR... Although I've bought RTRs in the past, (and I just got a Slash 4x4 recently) if I'm given the option of a kit, that's what I'll take! They can be a bit cheaper in the long run too! When I do get RTRs, I still take them appart to see how everything goes together!

An option which wasn't given, but which fits my style best is... Custom!

My boat, and Landy are both handmade....... there are parts I bought, sure! but I like the building process!... I don't have any friends in my area who are into RC, so when I race, I go by myself. Which is fine... and I have a lot of fun! But, building, is something that's really MADE to be done by one person. So that works for me! I actually almost enjoy the build more than racing the RC when it's done! LOL! But maybe I'm on my own there! :)

17. Schs2012

Schs2012 New Member

RTR's or rolling chassis.
    I cant build Kits to save my life. :(

18. skaterpunk

skaterpunk New Member

You are no the the only one I have built several kits for freinds, I think the building is the best part!

19. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Same here. I wind up getting parts for labor.

20. Iceman830

Iceman830 New Member

Having done both… I prefer a kit for a few reasons. 1) I just enjoy it and my 8 year old son helps me. 2) I like that I can pick my own electronics. 3) When you build your own kit you get to know every inch of the vehicle and that can be an asset when things break.