1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kit vs rtr

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Dribble, Sep 1, 2011.

?

What do you prefer?

1. Kit

37.6%
  2. RTR

19.3%
  3. Both

35.6%
  4. No Preference

7.4%
  1. TheMeefer

TheMeefer New Member

Well, I just got my first RC, a SCX10 Jeep Rubicon RTR, and I've decided that it was the best thing I could get for my skill level. I plan to learn about the RC through repairs and upgrades (just got done putting on some aluminum steering links), and eventually, when I feel more comfortable, I'll try building a kit. It would be nice to pick all the electronics and the motor and everything right off, but at the same time, a kit looks really daunting to someone like who has never had any experience with building.

2. Ren

Ren New Member

I like both. My Revo was obviously RTR and it was really cool to simply break-in the engine and be good to go. But building a kit is great fun, my X-Ray T1 was a pleasure to build, and the Tamiya Blackfoot I had years ago was fun too and I could get right into it when I had to replace broken parts or fit upgrades as I already knew it inside out

Both have their merits, but IMO a kit is better for building during the winter when the weather us too crappy to be RCing outdoors, whereas RTR's are perfect for the warmer months so can get straight into running them

3. ruben2005

ruben2005 New Member

i would say kits as when i started with my tamiya tanks i brought them rtr on a certain on line auction site so when i payed the seller the £450 for tank when it arrived it was falling to bits, little did i know how much it would cost in the end to put right so far total is around £1200 so i buy kits now as i know they are built proper and you learn so much building yourself

4. gunslinger9

gunslinger9 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

define kit lol

5. MaFoDes

MaFoDes Well-Known Member

Kit for me.
    Even i bought my Wraith as an RTR. I had to replace the servohorn already after 2 days (plastic fantastic...). And if i look back at all i had to change because it broke, or i did not really like the looks of it after all. There is not much original anymore on my rig. So i could have bought a kit immediatly and build it as i wanted it to be.

6. Sc10Baja

Sc10Baja New Member

Kits are Lots of fun to build but Its a lot more fun to open the box and start driving.

7. Venom-Hilux

Venom-Hilux Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It depends on your likes. I enjoy running my rc's. I love the building of my rc's. but that's me and what I am into . I like the build.. others hate dealing with all the parts and the sometimes goofy instructions.. so an rtr is great because they still get to enjoy the fun of rc's. If you like putting things together and knowing how they work not just that they work try a kit... if you just want to get to playing then rtr ... no wrong... just different ...

8. xLIGHTNINGx

xLIGHTNINGx Member

Media:
    just had to make this decision a couple of weeks ago. I had decided to by a RTR and chosen the vehicle and all but just before purchase I swapped to kit. I am really happy I did, the build was so much fun and I now have the confidence to repair and upgrade but choosing the electrics let me down as the advise from the shop wasn't the best. but still great experience. My next rig will be RTR, looking forward to that experience as well. For me both, they both have their own strong points. I personally can't wait for my RTR but am also already thinking what my next kit may be. All for the future.

9. wookiee76

wookiee76 Member

Kit for me, I tend to strip rtrs back down and build them my way, rtrs are way better than they used to be but I would always be concerned with something falling off or not being properly seated, also I just enjoy building kits which explains why I have so many shelf queens!

10. RcKrawler

RcKrawler New Member

Kit, because I am building one from the ground up right now. it is a Humvee (now a) pickup. I got some painting to do, but it looks cool. it is a black SWAT truck :)

11. MrDendrin

MrDendrin New Member

I think rtr because if you are new like I am it seems better to break it while running it, then learn and research to get an improved upgrade. Though it really comes down to how you want to build your beastly rc.

12. laz

laz Member

Media:
    I love both, Kit & RTR, the fun in building a kit & the reward after its done :D , with the RTR just open, and let rip then see what it can do :D , I do have one question tho, Im looking to get a crawler, and ive got my eyes on a Gmade R1 Rock Crawler, whose got one & is it a good invest ?

13. Cameron Haga

Cameron Haga Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have yet to build a kit but can already say that kit is the way to go . I enjoy fixing my cars almost as much if not more than running them . Lol . So kit all the way . My first is going to be scx10 power wagon . Love the dodge

Marcus Mcconnell likes this.
  14. Marcus Mcconnell

Marcus Mcconnell New Member

I like both. Rtr give me the instant action i like and most of the time use that to base a kit off of. Changing small flaws/dislikes of the rtr versions then buying the kit to make it my own creation. Kits also give more kmowledge of how the vehicle works so WHEN it breaks its a faster troubleshooting process.

15. Marcus Mcconnell

Marcus Mcconnell New Member

The power wagon is great. Tge only complaint i had out of the box was wheel clearence with the body

16. Cameron Haga

Cameron Haga Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    At this point I want so many that it's hard to say what my first kit will be . Lol scx10 2 , ascender , TF2 ,scx10 power wagon . Eeni meeny miney mo , can't decide witch way to go .

17. Christine13

Christine13 Member

Media:
    rtr is kind of a kit when u want to mod the vehicle or break something

18. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The tf2 is the ultimate in scale realism even on leafs can be extremely capable scx10 and vaterra unstoppable but less scale you have to ask yourself hardbody? Realism level maxxed out? True test of driving ability? Or lexan? Less scale? Easy to drive? And also consider parts availability from one manufacturer only or mass manufacturer support just my .02c

DaBurt420, lout and walter like this.
  19. Maryland Crawler Dude

Media:
    I am new to the hobby and I got a RedCat Everest 10 - and love it - I did some free mods like moving the axle struts out on the chassis and removing the tire foams all together - I have friends who have the high dollar crawlers and I can almost keep up with them - after I make a chassis upgrade and put some 2.2 130mm tires on it - it will hang I am sure