1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Komodo build.

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by basher4life, Dec 26, 2015.

1. basher4life

basher4life Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

santa brought me a komodo and some other goodies. so I worked into the night off and on on building it. took lots of pics along the way. those will come as soon as my phone charges and I upload them. my first impression on the kit are mixed. well really only one major area on the truck that has me iffy. the drive shafts. they are held together with e-clips. not really an area I would have liked to see them. my e-clips for the drive shafts seemed alittle big but nothing a little squeeze of my needle nose pliers couldn't fix. I also put a small dab of super glue on the e-clips to help hold them on and not pop off later. I did like that they include 2 longer screws to use when building the beadlocks to help snug them down till the smaller one are in, that was cool. I did also get 1.9 mud slinger xl's and 1.9 black axial 8 hold beadlocks. the stock tires seem good and ill try them out on the truck or my scx10's some time. off to spray some paint and finish it up. more to come

lout and Y2daT like this.
  2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ill be back to see the pictures :)

3. OKCrawler

OKCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Looking forward to seeing your rig!

Bubba J likes this.
  4. basher4life

ELiTE MEMBER

sorry for the delay still doing some family stuff for the holidays. but here are the pics and update. right now as I type the 2nd coat of paint has dried and a 3rd coat and white backing are going on. the ae-5 esc has been switched to traxxas plug and the motor wires to 4mm bullet connectors. also a ae light kit has been ordered from tower and a 27t motor among a few other things. to the pics!!!!

the wheels and tire I already had built in my excitement. and along the way I did forget about pictures so sorry if they are not in depth enough. but please ask questions if you have any.

axles first. this is really the rear axle. I forgot about pics and had almost finished the front. they are about the same minus the steering knuckles
    [​IMG]
    front axle the diff covers are metal and I filled them all with marine grease.
    [​IMG]
    front axle all together
    [​IMG]

5. basher4life

ELiTE MEMBER

transmission time. again I used marine grease on the gears
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    trans, skidplate and lower links together
    [​IMG]
    for now I put in my rc4wd 35t motor. the kit comes with a 32 pitch 12t pinion. I had a 19t pinion I used for alittle more wheel speed. I do have a 27t motor on the way. with that ill drop the pinion down to the 12t one it comes with
    [​IMG]

6. basher4life

ELiTE MEMBER

frame rails are nice and shinny. here the front shock mounts and body posts are mounted up
    [​IMG]
    the rear shock and body mounts, plus the side mounts for rock sliders. those are not included.
    [​IMG]
    upper links for the 4 link. all the links are nice and beefy.
    [​IMG]

7. basher4life

ELiTE MEMBER

time to put the 2 halves of the chassis and all the upper links and braces in.
    [​IMG]
    the fit for it all is good. all the screws are held with nuts. the nut on the skid closest to the motor can be tricky because the magnet in the motor wants to pull it out of its spot in the skid before you can tighten it down.
    [​IMG]
    shock building time. your basic shock rod and piston setup. the kit comes with 3 different pistons you can use. 2,3,and 4 hole. I went with 3 hole
    [​IMG]
    well I got a little to into the shocks and the build. I didn't take pics for a few. basically the shocks are the gmade transition ones. they have 2 springs and oil inside. I knew from a buddy that the kit shock oil is a little heavy so I went with good old axial 30w oil. the axle, shock and links mount up basically the same as most kits
    [​IMG]

8. basher4life

ELiTE MEMBER

its a roller. I mounted up my mud slingers and axial beadlocks first. I like the look so far
    [​IMG]
    the front steering link is solid but thinner then all the other links. I think im going to put a sleeve over it. I have an old carbon arrow from my bow and arrow that will fit right over it.
    [​IMG]
    well that's it for now. I did pre drill all the holes on the body before paint. there are a lot of them from 3mm up to 6.5mm. more to come

Y2daT and lout like this.
  9. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

looking great

10. basher4life

ELiTE MEMBER

the end is close, well for now it is. still need to put in the receiver and esc. the body will get a few more stickers. then it time to look at fabbing up a winch mount for under the body.
    painted, drilled and trimmed out
    [​IMG]
    love all the plastic add on pieces it helps set the body off and add a lot to it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I left the rear tail light buckets out till the light kit I ordered comes in. have been looking at a few different things I want to add to it. im thinking about a rc4wd light bar up top on the roof rack or the gmade one that's optional. also fog lights on the front and of coarse new drive shafts.

11. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

you would think it would have Junfac /Gmade shafts ...but from the pics obviously not ..
    it is a great looking truck

urthatgood likes this.
  12. basher4life

ELiTE MEMBER

any day now for the light kit and 27t motor. while waiting I went over board. ordered the optional light bar 5 more leds, lots of wire connectors, fair lead for the bumper and more goodies. safe to say going big lol. winch mount under the body is almost done. I couldn't resist I added for stickers to it too.
    [​IMG]
    also put the stock wheels and tires on my scx10 for plow duty
    [​IMG]

Rav101810 likes this.
  13. urthatgood

urthatgood Member

Media:
    I was thinking about getting one of these. Seems like a cool rig. You will have to tell us how you like it.

14. Bubba J

Bubba J Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks good I had to put mine on hold. Will get one a little later in the year.......:Bouaaaaah:

15. basher4life

ELiTE MEMBER

well parts came in yesterday just in time for todays first winter run of 2016 and the komodo's maiden voyage. first up was the ae light kit, new axial 27t motor, blue aluminum servo horn, folding winch anchor a few other odds and tools I needed. with the new parts and a run/ bash ahead I did a late night wrench session. first up was my scx10 ford excursion. on went the rc4wd predator evo tracks, and plow. next was my traxxas vxl brushless system. the idea is some high speed snow hill climbs. ( with out plow). with one truck prepped the komodo was up. first was the led light kit from ae. then the blue aluminum servo horn, next was the new axial 27t motor and finally I fabricated a mount for one of my 3racing winches to fit between the frame rails. the winch line goes though the front cross brace, body, and out the fake fairlead on the bumper. only issue I see is winch line needs to be out some to remove the body. im loving ae light with the blinkers, stop tail lights and reverse lights. it also has 10 different settings to select. have one more order on its way with the optional 5 light roof rack mounted light bar, 5 axial white leds, new winch hook, snatch block, ssd winch fairlead, blue aluminum 12mm wheel hexes, a rrp 15t 32p pinion and a bunch of wire and connectors to tie all the led lights together.
    here is a small preview, quality isn't the best I did it on my phone
    [​IMG]

16. monster1331

monster1331 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks great

17. basher4life

ELiTE MEMBER

sunday was her first run. it was a cold windy snow covered day, but the komodo preformed great. the 30wt shock oil was stiff but it was in the 20'sF. the mud slinger 1.9 xl's did good and bad lol. bad is they dig. hill climbs once they started to spin in the snow they dug to china. the good once they dug down in the snow if the truck wasn't hung up they pulled it though. didn't get really any action shots was to busy driving and trying to stay warm.
    [​IMG]
    group shot at the end
    [​IMG]

lout, urthatgood and monster1331 like this.
  18. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

have to agree with the Mud slingers ... they are awesome when your wheel speed is up ..... but crap for hill climbs ... and if they start to dig ... they are dug in deep.
    the Komodo looks great

19. monster1331

monster1331 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Like the fleet I'll have to post mine to soon

20. basher4life

ELiTE MEMBER

more parts in today. the optional 5 led light bar for the roof rack, axial leds (5), 25ft of servo wire, male and female servo connectors, 12 mm blue aluminum hexes, red winch hook, snatch block, novak power switch, ssd fairlead and a few other things. well it started good, until I found out the 5 led strand from axial only works with the nvs or simple controller. wish rpp hobby would have listed this on their site. now to find another 5 led light string.
    [​IMG]

urthatgood and lout like this.