1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kraz Inspired 6x6 : Sgt. Grunt

Discussion in 'Road Giants 6x6/8x8/10x10' started by Rickleo, Feb 20, 2016.

1. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    cool thanks, that's a heck of a lot cheaper than bondo finish putty.

2. Rickleo

Rickleo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Glad to help.

3. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Not much done on Sarg this morning. Just closed the the hole in the roof of the cab. I used this:[​IMG]
    It's a bicycle license plate. Made out of thick styrene. this is how it came out:[​IMG]

#23 Rickleo, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    lout and darkside0914 like this.
  4. Little-Rock

Little-Rock Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Looking nice. I hope you don't mind if I use the baby powder technique for my M35A2 body that's getting built later in the year. Hopefully I'll get some feedback on whether or not Integy's 6x6's are a good platform.

5. DRUNKMAR1NE

DRUNKMAR1NE Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    A lot of people are getting the cheap ones recently

6. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Little-Rock and by all means, use it. Hope the technique works for you. Received a delivery today:[​IMG]
    HPI Classic King Wheels. Could wait to mount the tires:[​IMG]
    And here's what the look like on the progress mock up:[​IMG]
    Planning on painting them. I have to do research to find a good (and cheap lol) way to dechrome plastic. I like the look. Opinions?

lout and darkside0914 like this.
  7. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I boiled mine, to get the tires off the wheels, I found the chrome started coming off pretty easily

8. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    of course another choice may be to put a few coats of candy over the chrome instead, like denice Anderson did his mud truck king sling.

9. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Wow darkside0914, that thing looks sick. Man I love mud trucks but I'm going to a old military theme for my 6x6. Want it to look like an old work horse.

10. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    well then try the boiling method, it worked on mine, I just boiled them for about 15 minutes and then if I remember right ran them under cold water, the chrome started cracking and flaking pretty quickly, may have to repeat this a couple times to get it all off.

11. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks darkside0914. I'ma have to give it a try.
    Well time to start the part I was dreading. Extending the fenders. So let's go:[​IMG]
    Started by cutting 2 1/2" strips of thin styrene and glued them under the fender for base support. Then I dotted of a line 1" from the original fender edge. Then cut off the excess. [​IMG]
    Now I cut 1" strips of thick styrene to glue to the base styrene to create a new fender section. I used alligator clips to hold it down til the glue drys. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Then I cut 1" strips of thin styrene to cover the low spots [​IMG]
    Here's how's the fenders look after I applied the baby powder technique:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    All I have to do now is sand it all down. Dreading that part too. Well that's all for now. And again thanks for looking.

12. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    sanding is always fun, yeah right. you do know those hpi wheels are available in plain black, so if one gets messed up, weather from use , stripping out a hex, or trying to take off the chrome, should be ok, but keep an eye on them during the process, it would be easier to repaint a black wheel.

13. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

I originally wanted the black wheels but everywhere I looked they were out of stock. The ones I did find were $47 a pair. Uhh No! I found these on ebay for $9 a pair and there were only 3 pair left in stock. So I jumped on them.

14. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I found the black ones on ebay just a few hours ago, $9 a pair, well $9.95 + $2.89 shipping phttp://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-1-12th-Scale-Classic-King-Wheels-Black-2-2-2-Wheely-King-HPI3061-/371542984704?hash=item5681b00800:g:CiwAAOSw5dNWqrm3lus $2.89shipping

15. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Cool. Now I can get extras for when I need them.

16. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Hello friends. I know it's been a long time since I've posted but event after event in my life robbed me of my inspiration for this project. Not going to bore you with the details but in the past few weeks the fire has come back and I'm itching to get back to Sgt. Grunt. I'm taking a turn on this project to. I'm scratching the plastic styrene body for.....get this..... A FULL METAL BUILD!!! This is what I wanted to do from the start but was scared to do. It's still in the planning stage and I'm doing my research. Plus trying to find out where I can get the materials I need for this massive project. I'm never brazed, soldered, or welded before so I'm undecided on whether I'll do that or use metal adhesives. I've researched soldering metal on YouTube and it looks like something I can do. We'll see. I'm posting this to see if anyone is still following Sgt. Grunt. If so I'll document the project for everyone to share in the fun. If anyone has any tips or suggestions it will be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BignBlue and lout like this.
  17. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    We're still here. Glad to hear you got your enthusiasm back. Have a look at @cyanide 's builds for inspiration. His Fat Betty truck is a full metal build.

18. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

I've read the Fat Betty build numerous times and watched his YouTube videos. But my biggest inspiration for my build is one sublimetime did over at scale4x4rc.org:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This rig is awesome!

lout, BignBlue and darkside0914 like this.
  19. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    here I was just wondering where you'd disappeared off to, as for material, check out flashing aluminum, the stuff @BignBlue is using for his metal bodied ford build, should work pretty good for your build too.

20. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

I found some flashing aluminum on ebay yesterday but before I order any I'm gong to check to see if they have any at my local Lowe's. I also need lots and lots of rc parts. Money is extremely tight right now. Maybe too tight for a build of this caliber but I'm gonna give it 100% effort anyway. I might literally have to build it one tiny piece at a time but it's what I want to do so I'm doing it.

lout likes this.