1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kyosho mad force and inferno st Conversion

Discussion in 'OFF Road Build Projects' started by Filip, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Filip

Filip Member

Media:
    What up nerds!

I recently got two new project cars from a customer and in return he got one of my electric converted
    Ofna lx1. Very nice guy who just bought two nitro cars for his son and realized that he was in over his head with nitro instead of electric.

[​IMG]

Now, there's alot of conversion threads/videos out there but I thought what the heck.

I bought the conversion kit for the inferno from kershaw designs so I'm waiting for that as I post this.
    With the mad force I thought I'd build something more diy or "ghetto" if you please.

Started out with a bit of plastic, ca 7mm thickness. Got my dremel out and went ballistic on it and voila, a motor mount was born.

[​IMG]
    The result was okay, nothing special.

I then cut out a support for the motor to rest on.
    [​IMG]

And the overview of the project.
    [​IMG]

sorry I didnt take a photo of every step. I'd be more then happy to draw stencils for you if anyone's interested.

Now i skipped a few steps and used the motor connected directly to the chain instead of using the original metal rod with the original gearing. very bad idea. The motor got insanely hot after 1min of runtime. I'm not to worried though because that shouldn't be to hard to fix.

Like if you like and comment if you have any brilliant ideas of what to do. Still haven't picked a cool body for either one and also need ideas for the paint.

Cheers!

EDIT:
    Forgot to share what kind of electronics I have in the cars.

Kyosho Mad force
    Fuze 3900kv
    Hobbywing EZRUN WP-SC8 120A
    Syncro kt-201 and kr-200
    Nanotech 7.4v 5000mah 45-90c
    Syncro KS-200

Kyosho Inferno
    Mamba 2200kv
    HobbyWing QuicRun WP-8BL150 150A
    Syncro kt-201 and kr-200
    2x Nanotech 7.4v 5000mah 45-90c
    Syncro KS-200

#1 Filip, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    lout, Antho11 and RustyWrench like this.
  2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Looks like you got a really good deal, they look like there in pretty good conditon. From the pictures it looks like the Mad Force still has the fresh mold line on the tires. Cool motor mount and it looks really good.

3. Filip

Filip Member

Media:
    yeah I don't think they've been driven that much, though the bodys are pretty thrashed.

4. Filip

Filip Member

Media:
    So I went on building the mad force and figuring out what had to be done. I actually didn't have to buy anything, just re-use the things from the old nitro setup.

[​IMG]

And I also got the body on. Pretty smashed up but after I cleaned it up, it serves it's purpose not looking to bad.
    [​IMG]

Now the test run was very satisfying. Everything worked out awesome, the motor got pretty hot but not to the point where I couldn't touch it so I figure it's okay. I might go down in pinion size in the future.

Still waiting for the conversion kit for the inferno so for the moment I'll be sipping cold beer with my good friend Charlie.
    Oh and if you want to check out another build I'm doing, go here http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/porsche-911-turbo-1-6-scale.41258/

cheers!

#4 Filip, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    lout and walter like this.
  5. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice conversion job there. Never thought of using plexi. Good call

6. Filip

Filip Member

Media:
    thank you!
    yeah no me neither. I just saw a piece in the hardware store and thought that it would probably be usefull for something :D

lout likes this.
  7. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That explains why I tend not to throw stuff out in my garage!!

Antho11 and Filip like this.
  8. Filip

Filip Member

Media:
    So I finally got the parts I ordered from Kershaw Designs! It wasn't late or anything, I was just very impatient :D

Everything looks good, very solid and a very nice feeling to it.
    I'm guessing the manual is for alot of different cars seeing as it described mounting parts on the car that I didn't got in the package.
    [​IMG]

I didn't bring everything to work so I could only mount the parts I got in the mail.

[​IMG]

This was only a small update. I'm gonna continue building when I get home tonight and hopefully get some photage of both cars before it gets to dark outside.

Have a great thuesday folks!

9. Filip

Filip Member

Media:
    The last Update in this thread.
    I got home, put everything together and the result is pretty amazing.
    [​IMG]

The raw power of this vehicle is insane, sorry I don't have any video of it yet. For some reason the reciever stops responding when the car is about 10 meters away or i run full throttle. Going to check it out tommorrow and hopefully get some videos.

The two cars together. Kind of messed up the paintjob on the inferno but the body was in bad shape anyway so really doesn't matter.
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your comments/likes and I hope you enjoyed these builds!

Filip

Antho11 likes this.
  10. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The motor mount for the conversion seems nice and stout! Are the batteries in the transmitter new or fully charged?

11. Filip

Filip Member

Media:
    Very sturdy piece!
    Put in some fresh batteries today. No difference. even changed from G to F mode, whatver that is.
    tried with another radio/transmitter that worked fine. I'm stumped!

12. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Is the radio 2.4ghz? Is the receiver antenna touching metal or near the motor or esc?