1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn mower

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by SamUK, Oct 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SamUK

SamUK Member

Media:
    So, I want to beat my hatred of mowing the lawn but combining with my favourite hobby.

I'm really keen to build a lawn mowing attachment or trailer that my Axial Bomber can pull around the back yard.

The only plans / guides I can find are for turning regular mowers into RC, but that's not what I want to do.

I have two spare 3s brushless motors and ESCs. The Bomber is also brushless, heavy duty build.

Anyone ever done something like this before? Or know of any guidance / instructions from anyone who has?

2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Maybe you can use two trimmer/weed walker heads mounted on a little trailer. I'm super interested because I've always wanted to do something similar.

3. Bluedually

Bluedually Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think the trimmer heads are the way to go. As unbalanced/poorly made blades are just asking for a trip to the ER.

Antho11 likes this.
  4. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    step one take a standard push mower, step two replace front wheels with a swiveling front wheel, step three make a tow hitch that will connect to you rc, step 4,5,6 attach mower to rc, start mower, and mow lawn, so long as your lawn is relatively flat this would work great otherwise you would need a heavier rc, if you were to do something like this I would recommend a smaller mower maybe a 19 or 20 inch deck and with the larger rear tires, a larger front tire would also be best, they would offer less resistance over uneven or rougher ground, if you were to use a trimmer you would need to replace the string with a blade style head as the string would wear out quickly and leave unmowed patches in your lawn, you could also make a trailer for a hedge trimmer, have it so the blade is parallel to the ground and make what is basically a sickle bar mower, use a servo to run the throttle or trigger if electric, i'm not sure if this would work for any hedge trimmer, the one I had had a one inch section at the end of the blade where something could be attached with out interfering with the blade operation, but I don't know if this is standard on hedge trimmers or just the one I had 18 yrs ago

walter likes this.
  5. SamUK

SamUK Member

Media:
    Thanks for all the ideas guys. What I'm aiming for is something like this to pull behind the Bomber.

I did think about just modifying my old rotary push mower to simply be pulled but I saw a video of another truck doing that and it looked way to heavy.