1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leopard Esc and Motor help.

Discussion in 'Bashing Chat' started by jawehner1419, Aug 11, 2013.

1. jawehner1419

jawehner1419 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So I got the Leopard ESC and Motor and Programming card combo and I am have problems with it. It will work for like five minutes and then just sit there jittering or just not moving. My steering will still work. I have this on a Traxxas Slash 2wd and the stock tx rx. I have it geared at 90 23 and I am using a Dynamite 7 cell nihm 5100mah battery. If you have this esc and motor can you tell me what you have it programmed at to see if I can make it work. I also have a glich buster plugged in so my steering is not all glitchy.

2. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

Ok, I need some info from you. 1- is the esc and motor hot when it dies? Have you tried to remove the glich buster? Also try and use a 19 tooth pinion.
    Let me know here or in pm.
    After checking a bit... I think you need to drop your pinion down. If I am reading the spec's right, you should be running a 87/17 for bashing.

#2 bbwolf, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
  3. Winx6T9

Winx6T9 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have had one of the V2 60A Leopard combos for a year now and I never could figure out its problems. Sometimes it would switch throttle direction, and often lost programmed settings. You're lucky that yours doesn't go faster in one direction than the other. If the esc is even remotely warm you're pushing it too hard. I've never had mine get any warmer than the ambient temps. Lower gearing would fix the problem is the temps are the case.

4. jawehner1419

ELiTE MEMBER

No Winx it seems like forward is 100% and reverse is 30%. And yes I used to not have a glich buster and my steering glitch so bad I could barley steer. Right now I am try to find out a way to make my esc and motor work because I have it programmed and it won't work at all which is really freaking annoying. It should work any way it is programmed. I emailed Sky RC to see if they will even respond and if they do will they say to bad so sad or will they do something.

#4 jawehner1419, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  5. Winx6T9

ELiTE MEMBER

Hopefully they have an answer for you. I got the the point of complete frustration after a few weeks - and stuck the combo in my NQD jet boat. The V2 motor can move your slash, however, a new esc is most likely your next step.

6. jawehner1419

ELiTE MEMBER

They said they think it is a defective esc and I asked them if the will do anything about it and they pretty much said tough luck.

7. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

Some times you will get that from the smaller comps. Its best to save up a few $$ and get a better esc.

8. crawlerdave

crawlerdave Banned

That sucks brother that they are leaving you in the dust on this. If price is a factor on replacing it , look into something like this. I have a few and for the price they work great and just as good as a high dollar esc. Hobbyking is very good about warranting their stuff and have good customer service.. just a thought for the price and performance
    Hobby King 120A Sensored/Sensorless Car ESC (1:8/1:5) (USA Warehouse)

This one is good also and I use it in my rc10t
    Turnigy TrackStar 120A Brushless Short Course Truck ESC (USA Warehouse)

9. Winx6T9

ELiTE MEMBER

10. jawehner1419

ELiTE MEMBER

11. jawehner1419

ELiTE MEMBER

It continue to amaze me! So I take it apart to see if there is a bad circuit and when I put it back together I leave the stupid fan off and the dumb things works great?! So should I get a new fan and try that or should I just not use a fan? I know this is right becuase I was just pulling the throttle it and it was fine I plugged the fan in jitters to no end. Take off the fan and reset it fine. Turn it off plug the fan in jitters to no end. ect ect. Why god my me? It seems to get a little warm from just doing that for 5 or 10 minutes. So new fan or what?

12. crawlerdave

crawlerdave Banned

Right on brother, glad to see you played around a bit and got it figured out. yep get another fan and see what happens. . they are cheap at hobbypartz this one can be directly plugged into batt plug on the receiver itself or from the esc if you want.
    HobbyWing 25 x 25 x 7mm Fan 4.4g High Voltage Fan for Car ESC
    I bet your relieved now :)

#12 crawlerdave, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  13. jawehner1419

ELiTE MEMBER

Ya I don't have to spend 40 to 60 bucks.

14. 1_scott_mckenzie

1_scott_mckenzie New Member

Hi there jawehner iam having the same problem with this combo did you just unplug the fan or get a new one ??

15. jawehner1419

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey. Sorry i didnt get back to you. I ended up unplugging the fan and running it on lipo. And it ran like pretty good without the fan and on lipo. I ended up just selling it on ebay cuz it had no throttle control and only had like 3 different speed ranges. But a nimh with this set up is not gonna happen. And i guess the fan has to much draw for the esc to handle. Id say it isnt worth your time to get it to work and just get a better setup. I ended up getting a castle sidewinder 3 and am much more pleased with that. Also i ha it tear the $h!t out of my tranny because i was at full throttle and it slammed into reverse and just sheared steel teeth off. I have no clue why. I wasnt out of range or anything like that. It just randomly ripped into reverse.

16. 1_scott_mckenzie

1_scott_mckenzie New Member

Mines is on 2s lipo the fan has no effect on mine it runs spot on but a small bump seems to effect it and it starts to stutter if you move the cables about it will clear. I have checked all the solder joints there all solid it's strange

17. Goblintinker

Goblintinker Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

that esc is a piece of crap the only way to program it so it useful is to do it through the remote also cogs horribly I would suggest one of hobbykings turbo escs