1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lipo battery

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by icedphenix, Feb 15, 2017.

1. icedphenix
    Instant PM

icedphenix Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  2. soup
    Instant PM

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have a basic understanding of LiPos, moved over to them from NiCd (anyone want to buy sundry stick packs of NiCds some may still even work :O) ) but they are still very much "here be tygers!" territory I wouldn't try to dismantle one.

BTW if you want to use LiPos again you shouldn't fully discharge them (storage voltage is about 3.7 V per cell) do you have a charger with a discharge function on it? Use that for long term storage of LiPos

#2 soup, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    K.C.'s RC likes this.
  3. BenFink
    Instant PM

BenFink Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    LiPos don't store information on them, there is no easy way to dismantle it and there is no reason to dismantle it.

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  4. Tombsy
    Instant PM

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Is it a sticker with the battery info? You should be able to peel it off or if it is shrink wrapped carefully take it off and cut out the label.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. icedphenix
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It is printed on the battery

6. 00whynot
    Instant PM

00whynot Moderator

Media:
    keep that picture you took. or write it on some paper. no need to take it appart

RustyWrench and walter like this.
  7. Tombsy
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yeah maybe just copy the info and tape it in the MP4 player. The only info you really need is the voltage. The mah doesn't really matter you can use as much capacity that will fit in the player.

8. icedphenix
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    OK
    How well did big mama get bashed up when she rolled down the hill

9. soup
    Instant PM

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hmm I'm obviously missing something here anyone want to explain what this means or am I better off not knowing?

Mark Liersch likes this.
  10. RustyWrench
    Instant PM

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Agreed... Don't take it apart (Danger)... Discharge and take it to the proper recycling facility.

Dean

11. icedphenix
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Can I shove a nail through it

12. soup
    Instant PM

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Only if you're holding it in your teeth at the time (remember to have the emergency room 'phoned and on standby before nailing the battery). :O)

#12 soup, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  13. darkside0914
    Instant PM

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    big mamma is the name of @00whynot 's custom built 6th scale Cadillac escalade, it recently took a bad tumble down a hill.

soup likes this.
  14. soup
    Instant PM

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ta for that.

15. Skyviewap
    Instant PM

Skyviewap Active Member

Media:
    I worked in a hobby shop for the past 13 years and when we get a bad battery into the shop, we put it outside in a bucket of salt water. The salt water neutralizes the lithium. If you puncture it , it could catch fire if there is any residual charge in it. Once you put it in the salt water, you will see bubbles coming from it for a few days. When the bubbles stop, leave it in for a couple more days just to be sure. Also, make sure to clip the plug off without exposing any bare metals in the leads so it doesn't short out. DON'T USE A METAL CONTAINER!

mudholestomper likes this.
  16. mudholestomper
    Instant PM

mudholestomper Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This is the proper way to safely dispose of a lipo - the salt in the water makes the water much more conductive than just plain water - as it makes it's way inside the pack, it will slowly reduce any power left in the pack, thus eliminating the volatility of the lithium and the possibility of a short and/or fire

I may be wrong, but from what I understand, the saltwater allows for a short in the pack, but instead of a high speed, high heat, fiery short, it does it by slowly degrading the separator inside

When you stab a nail in a lipo, you are causing an instantaneous short with no resistance and no place for the amps to go but into a small location with a piece of metal helping the amps along

if the short occurs gradually and while submerged in water that is very conductive, then the amps bleed off slowly, the reaction is cooler, and the power can swim around in the water from salt ion to salt ion

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my better-than-yours, Cupertino-based, greatest device ever

17. Tombsy
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've read mixed reviews on the saltwater bath, it was originally intended to be used with slashing the pack to let the saltwater neutralize the electrolyte. But it was too dangerous as the pack can explode in your face while slashing it and doesn't need oxygen to burn.
    There's a chance when soaking it without slashing that the cell tabs dissolve before the battery is discharged leaving a charged pack with no way to discharge it.
    I've always discharged them to zero with a auto light bulb (somewhere safe I use a Batt-safe) then just twist the battery leads together and toss it. There are no heavy metals it can go to the landfill.