1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Litehawk Ignitor - steering works, but no power with throttle

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Owensmom, Aug 28, 2014.

1. chetmotox

chetmotox Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So the receiver is sealed into the ESC as well?

2. Owensmom

Owensmom Member

Yes, looks that way, everything runs into the esc. :(

3. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

it is ok for you to say that it is a junky esc .
    I would have to call it wonderfully inadequate.
    the knob is to adjust your steering tracking so it doesn't run to one side.
    if your batteries are good then it is probably the motor or esc
    if your esc is sealed then we must figure how to test it so by process of elimination if we eliminate the motor then the esc is all that is left by default.
    I don't know how you feel about taking a chance with your motor but if it were mine I would make jumper wires from 2 flashlight batteries the c or d size will not matter at this time ,,,(I would use the car battery pack from the igniter, but if I want you to be safe I will say just try 2 cells) clip the one end with out shorting the wires to where the red and black on the motor are ,,,,, if you don't have enough hands tape the 2 flashlight batteries together then tape the wires to the batteries and hold the other ends in your hands and after putting the car where the wheels are not touching the groung, touch the wires to where the red and black wires hook to the motor BRIEFLY just a tap all you are looking for, is the motor to jump and show that the battery power will activate the motor ,,, if the motor jumps even with just the weaker 2 cells then I would guess that the motor will work if it gets power from the esc .....do not have any batteries hooked to the car or worry about if the car is turned on at this time just remove batts from car. this is to directly test the motor. plus on batt to red on motor,,,, neg on batt to black on motor..brief tap.

#23 Monkeypiarat, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  4. Owensmom

Owensmom Member

Yep, you're right it's mini Tamiya connector. I bought a second battery when we bought the truck. I've got the second battery charging right now, am about to try it with the other fully charged
    battery. I'll let you know how it goes!

5. chetmotox

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well that's not cool.

I guess try the battery and we can go from there.

6. Owensmom

Owensmom Member

Ya, so definately not the battery.

I hesitate to replace much more on this unit, I paid $150 for it including extra battery! A replacement esc from Litehawk.ca is $25 plus shipping, and if it's junk I certainly don't want to buy another one! I've already had to replace 3 of the 4 dogbones which was another $20 after shipping charges. That's all money I could be putting toward a better quality unit. Almost all of it is plastic with almost no replacement/upgrade parts made out of anything but more plastic.
    Do you think I should bother perhaps trying to find a better quality esc from another brand? Or cut my losses?

#26 Owensmom, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  7. 6677

6677 New Member

I would disconnect the battery and then apply a small voltage (2 or 3 AA's should suffice) across the motor terminals to see if it spins, if it does then its likely the ESC thats buggered.

Combined receiver/ESC is no fun, sadly my animus has combined servo/receiver/ESC although I've just bought replacement servo and receiver so now I'm just waiting to buy a new ESC too, then I have to get an MSP430 in there to act as a crude dual rate setup for the throttle (as the transmitter I have only supports dual rate on steering).

8. chetmotox

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I know how that goes. I have done it on 2 different rigs. I started with an Exceed Mad Crawler, had fun but once parts started breaking, I fixed them until I realized I could invest that money into an Axial SCX10 and have a much better rig. Then I did the same with a Turnigy 2wd Dune Buggy. I constantly broke it but most of the things I broke I could fix without ordering parts and just building something. Then I sorta broke it beyond repair and instead of messing with it, I went to a Traxxas Slash. Haven't had any problems yet with either my SCX or Slash (besides maintenance and upgrading things).

What it comes down too is how much do you want to keep putting into a rig and can you afford a better one? Just because its better doesn't mean it won't have problems either but your less likely to have issues.

Before I threw in the towel, I would try what [MENTION=13311]6677[/MENTION] suggested and try hooking some batteries up directly to the motor to see if it spins. If not, its probably the motor and you can get a motor fairly cheap. If it does spin, then its probably the ESC and/or receiver. If you feel like its a good solid truck as a base, meaning frame, body, transmission, drivelines, tires, wheels, etc. and it would be worth putting some money into it then you can look at upgrading ESC, Receiver, and if you feel like it motor.

9. Owensmom

Owensmom Member

Thanks, I will give that a try. I just bought a Traxxas Slash for myself, really though, my son does better at controlling it (in training mode/50% power), than the Igniter. We live in a VERY small town = no hobby shop even remotely nearby! So, I'll spend the money to fix the igniter this time, but once it breaks again (and I expect it will!), that'll be it for the little red truck!

Thanks for all your help everyone!

10. chetmotox

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I know how that living in a small town works. I live 15 miles from the nearest town, Valier, and its population (including us people out in the country) is just over 500 people so yeah, no hobby shop there. Conrad is about 18 miles away and its only about 2500 people(no hobby shop there either). Let us know what happens with the motor situation and I hope it works out for you!

11. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

I am all for fixing it if that is what you want to do
    but just a suggestion ,,,,,,,to think about ,,,, if you fix it will you be satisfied with it or will owen still want to run the slash
    @50% ,,,I guess what I am asking is if fixed will he use it knowing that there is a perfectly good slash right there.
    if you don't think he will use it then fixing it again is not going to accomplish any thing .
    I am pretty sure that you are getting tired of repairing this particular rc even the good rc's break but they will always be totally worth fixing. lol

12. Owensmom

Owensmom Member

You're totally right! I hadn't thought of it like that. I'm fairly sure he won't want to drive anything but the Slash until the day we can afford a trail truck (he wants a Honcho so he can do hill climbs like Medic does at the ttc's!). However, I think we'll be holding off on that till he's a bit older!

13. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

yes I think that the trail trucks and crawlers appeal more to older people as it is more about the driving.
    trail trucks or crawlers in general do not go as fast some of the traxxas vehicles.
    I think at 50% the slash will still go faster than most stock crawlers or trail trucks.
    I have a brushless set up in my crawler and my traxxas bandit will run circles around my crawler all day long.
    the racing rc's are faster than the crawlers but then again a racer will not go where a crawler or trail truck can.

14. 6677

6677 New Member

Well the crawlers and scalers are of course geared for torque rather than speed like the racers are so obviously won't be winning any drag races (well, maybe the extra torque will help them get off the line quicker for a 1 foot drag race). I guess hypothetically you could attempt to gear a racer for torque and a crawler for speed, perhaps in the real world you'd be limited in what gearing fits with the provided motor mounts but then you could perhaps mod those too, of course the racer drivetrain probably wont cope with the torque and will likely break down all the time and an AX10 running at 50mph or more has got to be one of the most unstable things on the planet :p

I currently only have the Helion Animus 18SC. My first RC. I decided to go for something which didn't cost very much so I can kinda just dip my toes into RC and see if I like it or not rather than spending £500 or something silly (ok, I really wouldnt do that for a first truck) and finding I didn't like RC much. In the event that it does break, my nearest hobby store can provide all spares and hopups so downtime would be minimal, I've heard some complaints about animus durability but mine took some heavy abuse today and its still holding together. Next RC will definitely be a more respected model though, I like the look of the slash and do like scalers but kinda want a nitro truck but right now new car, books for uni and rent all come way before that. No doubt I will eventually have that same issue though, keep fixing the cheap model or buy a nicer one.

15. CodeRedMD

CodeRedMD Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Wow, this kind of sucks. I did a bit of looking into this part that you might be having trouble with, and it blew me away knowing it has the ESC/Receiver and servo all tied into one unit. That is crazy! As far as testing motors out, you can cut the wires from the ESC/Receiver/Servo set up and that would be the easiest way to test that motor out, but you will have to soldier it back together. That is how the new replacement would be too. You can hook them up directly to your battery pack that came with your rc. Just make sure to hold on to the motor so it doesn't jump out of your hand when you connect it.

From reading all the above it sounds like part of the ESC/Receiver is fried. I had this happen once in an airplane. One of the channels still operated the servos, but the motor wouldn't start up. Tested the motor and sure enough after more testing with the ESC started to notice it would get warm just sitting there. That's when we discovered it had to be the ESC. It was a 2 in 1 setup also.

I'm sure you have done this already and I read that you tore apart the diffs, but does it seem that all 4 tires roll across the floor fine? Just was wondering. Well if you can hook up a battery to that motor, and it doesn't matter which way you do it. It will work either way if it's good. If that still runs, then it's that ESC/Receiver/Servo combo. I know on there site they only have it labeled as a ESC/Receiver, but there is a servo hooked up to it and you can see it. That's one reason it's $25, but to replace this whole setup and put some higher end electronics into this, you will be into it more money than you might want to. It could be a fun little rig, but it does suck that you can't get nothing but plastic parts for it. Really hope this helps out.

I just wanted to mention that my kids started out very young driving trail trucks, and they do it very well with lots of skill. They even help work on there own RC's. Yes I help them out in that area, but they are learning all the time. One day they will be doing it by themselves. So age doesn't really mean anything when it comes to rc's. They need practice and a chance to try it. It's amazing how quickly they learn. We are always doing trail videos with my kids. They are awesome! So keep that in mind if your son is interested in a trail truck like Medic! ;)

16. Owensmom

Owensmom Member

Thanks for your reply. Yes, all 4 tires are turning fine on the floor. I tested it out and the motor is dead. It's only an $8 part, so I tried to order a new one, but Litehawk no longer accepts PayPal!! I don't have credit cards (can't be trusted with them LOL)! I've looked on other sites like ebay and amazon, but I can't find one. I am SO not impressed with Litehawk! Seriously - who has online ordering only and doesn't accept PayPal these days?? So if I want to replace the motor, I would have to drive to their building in Markham (which is about 2 hr drive), and buy one!!! Not happening!

Seriously, if anyone is ever looking at Litehawk products, I would not recommend them! I know in the rc world $150 is not a whole lot, but I'm a single mom here, that's a good "chunk of change for me!"

Grr!! Frustrated!

17. 6677

6677 New Member

Is it not just a standard 370 brushed motor? Most 1/18th scale trucks are 370 sized motors anyway. I know hobbytown in the US are supposed to stock parts for the Helion Animus including the 370 motor, got to be something your nearest hobby shop can get in that will fit, otherwise they are readily available online.

18. Owensmom

Owensmom Member

My nearest hobby shop is a 2 hour drive from my town!!! I have checked a few sites that have similar motors, but by the time I pay for shipping it puts an $8 motor up to $40-50!!

19. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I order everything off of Great Hobbies, it is the best online hobby shop in Canada IMO. They have free shipping over $100, but if it can fit in a Canada post oversized envelope it would cost $3.50. Just a motor should fit in the $3.50 envelope.

The only problem is about a new motor is that you will have to solder it. I would go with this motor since it's in stock and a good price. http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=ASC21210
    It also has the wires already installed but you would have to remove the connectors and solder it to the esc wires.

#39 Antho11, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  20. Owensmom

Owensmom Member

Thanks so much!! I'm ok with soldering, so this is perfect!! Really appreciate it!