1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Willy

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by Gromit, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Friends, romans, model-makers...

two boat-projects are off the table (details and pics soon to come), it's time to deal with one of various piles of parts that have been lingering here far too long.

I was quite taken the first time i saw an ECX Temper, because I could see the sweet bones underneath the silly bodywork. I bought one a while ago and was developing ideas what to do with it. A Rolls Royce Armoured Car? An Unimog 411? A steampunky New-York-to-Paris-1910 racecar? A four-wheel version of Professor Fate's Hannibal 8?

After seeing a Wild-Willy body married to a similar crawler chassis I thought about that. Since my old Wild Willy turned out to be not all that hopeless after all, I ordered another main body, intending to scratch the rest, and a frame and a front from Shapeways. It kept on gathering dust for while since i was unsure about the frame. The suspension that felt very soft mounted on the Temper's frame felt bone-hard mounted on the Shapeways plastic one.

After seeing Walter's Jeeps I decided to use some 2mm alloy plate (which was part of an old blueprint machine) and tubing to knock up a frame myself. Wheels and tires are from a Tamiya Hummer (the wheels had a short stint on my AEC Matador).

Here's the fist question: the tires are about 18 years old and quite petrified. They have on outer diameter of 88mm, an inner one of 42mm and are 28mm wide. Are there any nice and soft trail truck wheels out there that are that small?

Antho11 likes this.
  2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER