1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for R/C Chassis

Discussion in 'WANTED: Awesome RC Stuff' started by David87, Jan 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. David87

David87 New Member

Looking for R/C Chassis for a late 50s Tonka Pressed Metal Toy Dump Truck.

2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

do you have pics or dimensions of the toy you plan to use??

3. cbaker65

cbaker65 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I would say that a Tonka dump truck is a pretty good size truck ,perhaps at a scale of about a 1/8 !

Any rail frame that is already around ,like what you see on trail & crawler rigs may be too flimsy ,or even have to
    do a lot of modification to get one to mount ,an a truggy style chassy would be too weird to work with!

The chassy an running gear that sticks out in my mind that might fit ,is the Ae Mgt. ,or the Thunder Tiger Rival monster
    truck!

Here is a pic of the Ae. Mgt. chassy ,look ,it has a nice flat narrow chassy to build off of ,here I was going to build a trophy truck!
    But ,I am showing the pic for example of what the chassy looks like!

[​IMG]

Here is another pic ,if you stripped off the shock towers ,mud guards ,or even keep those ,relocate other shocks to mount
    to chassy ,it may work ,an I may add ,this truck is highly adaptable to electric ,an the transmission removed for a different
    center diff trans!

[​IMG]

This is a theory ,I do have a couple old Tonka's that I can put up against my Mgt. ,an see an show pics!

4. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

if its a scale giant earth mover tonka then one of those or a scx10 chassis or custom chassis with wraith style axles. but allot of the classic tonka dumps are smaller like a on road dump truck . optionally You may be able to fit a scx-10 center plate to the existing tonka chassisget a pair of the closest width axles ,and shocks .. links can be made with 3/32" threaded rod ( all thread) and traxxas 1:10-1:8 scale ball ends.. after getting the wheel base sorted out you can cover the threaded rod with tubing of preference for a cleaner look... next with the transmission mounted on the center plate you can take measurements for drive shafts ( junfac shafts can be purchaced induvidually ata varitey of lengths ..they hold up well and look good also . ( i have gen 1 style scx10 with junfac shafts ,steel transmission gear set and steel traxxas 32Pmotor pinion gear with kimbroough derlin 32p slippper gear . and run 6S 25 volt setup with no issuies . ( the driveshaft grub screws change between gen scx-10 and scx-10 gen 2 (gen-2 also have upgraded stock driveshafts and a different slipper setup and 32p gears (vs gen1 48P ) ..
    the scx-10 II has completly new axles that feature better clearence then the scx10 1 axles or wraith AR60 axles ..
    another idea .. is if you can fabracate a pivoting mount for mini pnumatic air cylinders to act as a hydralic bed lift ..ive figured out how to tether 2 or more filled with hydralic jack oil so you can mount a 2nd = or larger air cylinder . inside the body hidden or parallel to the chassis and use a spare channel and servo to push and pull the hidden air cylinder which inturn operates the dump cylinder .. so a inexpensive version of rc hydralics (they would make for a sweet manual choke setup in a 1:1 truck.
    the mini 10mm diameter piston air shocks are cheap on ebay and can fit a trasxxas ball end ..

5. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Medic has one that looks like scx10 axles