1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to get in to RC. What truck should I get? Probably get asked a lot sorry

Discussion in 'Studio Discussions' started by LLKRC, Aug 5, 2014.

1. LLKRC
    Instant PM

LLKRC New Member

I'm looking to get in to RC stuff and I want a trail truck my budget is $400 I might do a little mudding with it and going through some creeks and stuff like that I've been looking at the axial SCX10 honcho but I wanted to see what you all though

Thanks
    LLKRC

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum

2. buttm0nk3y
    Instant PM

buttm0nk3y Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  3. HalNutt
    Instant PM

HalNutt Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Go with traxxas whatever suits your style easy to familiarize yourself

4. Mogg2112
    Instant PM

Mogg2112 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Welcome to the forums! Both Axial and Traxxas vehicles are fantastic for a beginner and they have excellent parts support and aftermarket upgrades, which is very important when you're new. The SCX-10 is a great choice and is very well supported. It really comes down to what you want to do with an RC and where you plan to run the most. Keep in mind you will need things like batteries and a good charger, so factor those into your budget as well.

I highly recommend getting a vehicle you can easily get replacement parts for. You WILL break stuff and you will be more inclined to stay in the hobby longer if you get a quality product that is backed by the manufacturer from the start. There are a lot of cheap no-name vehicles out there these days that have practically no OEM parts support or aftermarket options. Some of it is good, but most of it is not. Stick with well-known/established brands (Traxxas, Axial, Associated, HPI, ECX, Losi, ARRMA, Tamiya, Dromida, etc.) and thank me later.

Edit: didn't see this was originally posted back in 2014. The OP probably already made his choice lol

#4 Mogg2112, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    RustyWrench likes this.
  5. RCPit
    Instant PM

RCPit Member

I started with a 1/10th scale no name Monstertruck . Worst thing I ever did in my RC Career .
    Axial, Traxxas, ARRMA are very good brands. Check spareparts availability and price before. They are different depending on the country you are living in.
    ARRMA is usual cheaper than Traxxas but it doesn't mean they are bad. Therefore good for beginners.
    Also it is depending what you wanna do.
    Racing, bashing, crawling trail...
    You should have a look what's there and then you can ask opinions or recommendations.
    Welcome. looking forward to see your RCs

6. Malickie
    Instant PM

Malickie Active Member

Arrma is fairly decent. I would go with their BLX Lineup. Best one in Arrma that I have gotten so far that I haven't broken anything on is the Senton 6s BLX, also have the Big Rock but I have issues with a certain part that should be in my opion different but it is what it is and is in all honesty pretty sturdy. That is pretty much their hop up line.

Axial SCX10 II is a good vehicle, although with that one I would go with the Kit if you know what your doing, the RTR isn't bad either though.

As for traxxas they have a ton of parts support but unless you go to after market parts your going to be breaking things unless you stay at a lower end battery pack, like with the E Revo I have (Selling it most likely but without Motor, ESC, and front end is screwy and by screwy I mean it just spins freely, more or less rear wheel drive at the moment lol). Same with the Summit, wound up breaking the locking mechanism of the front diff somehow, if your hard on them they will break. The two ones I like so far in Traxxas are the Summit and LCG 4x4 Slash, the Slash though I have had to toss a bunch of money into because I took the motor and ESC from the E Revo and put it in the Slash because the stock motor and esc kept going into thermal shutdown no matter what I did.

Overall I have four good vehicles, Traxxas Summit, other than the front diff issue that I have no repairs have been needed.

Traxxas Slash 4x4 LCG, I have needed to do a ton of upgrades to, see above.

Arrma Senton, Only one that hasn't needed repairs so far is the Arrma Senton 6s BLX and I am running the Senton on 6s LiPo batteries, I would suggest some buggy Badlands from Pro Line if your going to do off road bashing at all.

Axial SCX10 II, Really haven't had to do anything to it but the stock ESC for some reason went poof on me while I was running it around inside my house. Might have been because there was a body pin stuck to the side of the motor for all I know. This is the RTR Version as I was still fairly new at things when I got this truck. Only takes about a month of having to do repairs every other day on different vehicles to realize a Kit isn't quite as hard as you think it might be lol.

7. Kenny Preston
    Instant PM

Kenny Preston New Member

With that budget , The Axial Deadbolt SCX10 is a 1\10 scale 4x4 truck , You can buy this truck rtr (ready to run) for 299.00 . And start there, You can run the truck now and order upgrades or go to your local hobby shop . Good luck

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

8. killerrc72
    Instant PM

killerrc72 New Member

the real question we should be asking is what do you want to do with the truck go fast bash scale or trail or even crawl i started out with a traxxas stampede get it brushless and either 4wd or 2wd it was the best dissension i ever made. for bashing. there water proof too. the scx10 was is also a great trail truck. the dead bolt or a bomber are great rockracer/crawler the axial jeep collection is a great set of rigs to choose from for scale. best brand to go for are losi traxxas team associated and axial.

9. RustyWrench
    Instant PM

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Original post was Aug 5th 2014...

Dean

10. killerrc72
    Instant PM

killerrc72 New Member

The honcho would be a great right for that just if you want to go ways into water then you will need to waterproof some of the electronics use plastic dip and look up on YouTube rc sparks water proofing and he has videos on how to water proof every thing. iles

11. killerrc72
    Instant PM

killerrc72 New Member

12. tfree2014
    Instant PM

tfree2014 New Member

Axial scx10 are badass trucks if u are understand what they are for, just like a rustler isnt a crawler, the scx10 isnt going to work out for speed runs, i personally love traxxas but have also had a couple axial trucks, and both axial and traxxas have great aftermarket support but it seems traxxas parts are more redily available. Favorite rig ive ever had and still have is my slash 4x4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

13. RustyWrench
    Instant PM

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

I'm pretty sure LLKRC has it all figured out. After all the question was asked almost 2 years ago... lol.

Dean

walter likes this.