1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to get into crawling

Discussion in 'Rock Crawler Chat' started by cyanide, Oct 10, 2011.

1. cyanide

cyanide Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've always prefered bashing and trail running, but recently with a friend getting a SCX10 and watching some local crawler club events I am thinking of taking the plunge into the rock crawling pool.

So I am at the shellow end and have my water wings on...

I was thinking of going AX10 Scorpion RTR, but am still shopping around.

What is the gossip on the The Kyosho ROCK FORCE 2.2? I am attracted by the worm drives.

If there are any other crawlers that you'd suggest for starter crawler that'd be great.

The other day I watch a Losi and it worked well, I watched a Venom aswell, but I wasn't very impressed with it's ability.

At this stage I am not feeling compititive, I don't wanna upgrade heaps, I just want to plonk it down and play, so I guess I am asking:

Which is the most capable streight outta the box?

thx guys.

2. Comp Crawler

Comp Crawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well you can't really go wrong with the ax10. I haven't personally owned one but I do have the scx10. I'm in the process of building a Losi Comp Crawler, still haven't got on the rocks but you can just feel how precise it is:secret laugh:

3. igbandy

igbandy New Member

There is alot to decide on buying a crawler. The biggest factor is how much you are willing and or wanting to spend!

Shaft drive

If you just want to leisure crawling with no comps, The AX10 is a good choice, lots of upgrades available some for free ;)

The Losi Comp crawler is more comp orientated(who would of thought that!) but brushed motors dont really work in it. A 17.5-21.5 sensored brushless is required preferably with a 3s lipo. 2s works, but 3s will give more wheel speed. Which is what the Losi CC lacks running the worm gears. Also it really needs a 3 way 3 channel TX to get the most out of the dig, as the transmission winds up easily and you have to use the dig to free it up. The Losi is a driver`s rig, and takes alot of thought and patience to use it at its best.

The Rock Force is bullet proof and dang heavy, again it needs a high powered sensored brushless in it to get the most out of the worm drives.

Tamiya CR-01 is neither a crawler or a scaler, it can be made to work ( I have made one work) but it`s a dissapointment. Shame really as the gearbox and axles are very good.

MOA(Motor on Axle)

This is where crawling started with Clodbuster axles. But it has come a long way since those days.

Berg V 1, I run a set of Berg V1 axles on my 2.2" comp crawler and I like them alot. The only thing to be used in the kit tho is the axles! Building a Berg (or for that matter) any MOA can be hard on the pocket.

Berg V2, steer clear of these they are probably the weakest MOA axles.

RC4WD Bully, I have a set of these as well that I won at the UK Crawler Nats this year. They are not too bad but they are the heaviest of the lot.

Axial XR10, the newest MOA on the block, the stock gears are weak as hot chocolate and there are some design flaws with the gearbox motor plates. These can be addressed with RC4WD gear sets and Vanquish products motor plates.

4. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    cool, thanks for the info igbandy. Good to find out about the CR-01, I was looking at a unimog kit. I think I'm down to the AX10 or Rock Force. I'll google more reviews this week. Ta.

#4 cyanide, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  5. ev0l

ev0l New Member

steer clear of worm drive, you get a lot more wheel time and run time on your battery with a traditional axle. If you just want to play around I highly suggest the SCX10, what a blast this thing is. If you're looking to comp pick up an AX10 and let the modding begin. Right out of the box the newer kits can be competitive in sportsman class. Once you outgrow that class get ya a MOA!

my 2 cents, take em or leave em!

6. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks ev0l, it's all good information to me. The only reason I wasn't thinking of getting a SCX was that my mate already has one & I wanted to try out something a little different so we could compare them. I reckon the AX will do the trick then, I can run stock untill I get the upgrade urge.

Thanks guys.

7. Knobby

Knobby New Member

I'm a newb to crawlers 2. i don't have one and the one you mentioned the Rock Force 2.2 is pretty cool and $259 online.
    thanks for the mention. I might be saving for this one.
    > Knobby <

8. TNCrawler

TNCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well I am here to defend my worm gear friends lol, no offense ev0l!!

Anyways, I started out rock crawling with a LNC rtr this year and I have beat it to hell, The thing is just a beast. Since April 2011 i have only broken 1 wheel hex and 1 servo ran dead lol ! Other than that its all gravy as a leisure crawler or even a comp crawler. If you have seen my vids then you know its upgradeable with all the LCC hopups and with a 5000 mha lipo I have yet to run it dead!! here is a link to the info on my LNC just to give you a idea. The Bug!!

Now I know this is rock crawling and all and a SCX 10 is a sweet rig but I would suggest for rockcrawling the XR10 for comps or LNC for fun crawling and to get your feet wet.

Hope this helps bro!!

9. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks for the helpful information guys, all good food for thought, I appreciate it.

I ended up ordering an AX10 this morning, so in a few weeks I should have a new toy to add to the RC collection.

:)

10. aceofaxe

aceofaxe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'm lookin at doing a MOA in the future will have to get with you on the 13th for a chat. I am thinkin XR-10 as I am a bit of an Axial Die-Hard! lol Plus "I'm the guy in the Axial T-Shirt!!" LOL

11. igbandy

igbandy New Member

No problem mate, Dont get me wrong the XR can be made into a decent rig. It needs work, but then every crawler needs work out of the box. I bought the Berg kit and only used the axles!.

I have also got a set of RC4WD Bully axles as well that I won at this years UK 2.2" Crawler Nats. But they are still sat in the box waiting for some inspiration ;)

#11 igbandy, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  12. AJrc123

AJrc123 Honorary Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Get the axial scx10 trail honcho

13. scoobyblue

scoobyblue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey bud I notice u siad u found a rock force for 259 online? Could u let me no what site u were looking at please bud. ? I jus like them so it would be helpfull. Cheers

sent via crappa talk 2 from my gmade r1

14. Minibaja14

Minibaja14 New Member

Amainhobbies has it around that price but its not rtr

15. adenny

adenny Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think you should check out the vaterra twin hammers. Looks real cool!

16. MrRcFanatik

MrRcFanatik Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Not sure if it's already been stated above, but it looks like axial doesn't make the scorpion model any more... they have the AX10 Ridgecrest now... also, they have the XR10 if you want motor on axle... which is pretty cool... maybe a bit more of a competition type?? I'm not into crawling yet so what do I know, but hope that helped you a bit man!!!

Good luck with your decision!!

Edit: WOW! Sorry I replied caues others had today too, but I just saw the date on your post man!! Whoops! lol ... btw, what did you end up getting?

#16 MrRcFanatik, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  17. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Went for AX-10 in the end, been really good. Beat on it, learnt on it. Upgraded the links and drive shafts after a year or so, everything else still stock. A friend got the XR-10 when they came out.

18. adenny

ELiTE MEMBER

Great choice what kind though?

19. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    AX-10 Scorpion. Replaced the body with a chopped '41 Willys Coupe (see avatar image on the left).

20. adenny

ELiTE MEMBER

How'd u get a hold of one?