1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losi Crawler, Axial RTC, or HPI Crawler King.

Discussion in 'Rock Crawler Chat' started by RCSparks, Mar 19, 2011.

1. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator
    Staff Member ADMiNiSTRAToR SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Well this is a huge debate... and I'll prolly make some people rather uncomfortable here.. so I'll apologize in advance. It is not intentional, nor is this post pointed at anyone particular - rather just some experiences I have had

I will start off by saying that we are all on different budgets at different times of the year.. and that each one of us has had different experiences with crawler rigs, making them "good" or "bad".

The HPI Crawler King is pretty cool. It has some redeeming factors such as Price, and the rugged look of a Jeep. I know that for anyone just starting in the hobby.. this truck maybe the route you want to go. In my Opinion.. it is an entry level hobby grade vehicle - and is what i would expect for a fair dollar value. Some downfalls about the big beast.. is its very top heavy.. and the axle housings are very thin. A few scrapes over the rocks.. and you can literally wear down the diff cover by trailing. Ive seen them with holes right in the diff case.

Losi is the next in line (IMO) - I had the unfortunate experience of being one of the first people to get a Losi Rock Crawler. For those of you who do not know - the first 1000 Losi rock crawlers off the line, had many many issues. CVDs were snapping, the introduction of the worm gears was a challenge (the had a machinist doing them, and he cut the threads wrong), which resulted in High Heat, and even electronics fires - IE: ESCS & lipos lighting on fires from the power draw. This was only a few of the issues with the crawler I had from Losi Sigghhh.. it sucked. Very expensive ball of "nothing good" was my experience.

BUT.. since then.. the Losi Crawler has had change after change, and they have been doing their best to give them a good rep again. Though I had a bad experience - I know of quite a few people that have had GOOD luck with the crawlers.. and many that have taken home a win. In my opinion though.. those darn worm gears are just truly something that is left to be desired.

And then there is Axial. Also with some limitations. The older Axial Scorpion WAS awesome when they came out.. but with the long drive shaft that was running them and the RTC version .. the drive shafts would catch on the rocks. Other Motor on Axle systems were kicking but because the Axials simply couldn't keep up with the Shafty limitation.

But.. over all.. if I was to have to choose between the 3 .. and had a decent budget.. I would spring for the Axial.. only because of Cost vs Value vs Part support. In my opinion - that is the best bang for the buck out of all three.

________

Let the debate begin!

2. Warhog53

Warhog53 New Member

Nice post, that's part of my dilemma at the moment as I'm working towards springing for my first crawler, I've heard the same things about the Losi worm gears and am really hesitant on it still. Definitely agree with the cost vs value vs support on the axial scorpion. My cousin has one so I already know its ups and downs, and where to improve, so I'm about 90% positive that's what I'll go with, already have a full wish list of upgrade parts too that I will be looking into ASAP. Now for the money aspect :D

3. momobagodonuts

momobagodonuts Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I got my HPI because Tower Hobbies was practically giving them away. I have since modded just about everything on it and to me it's a great crawler. But its the only one I know. However when the Wraith is available Im gonna be on that like white on rice because crawling really isn't my thing. I'm more into trail riding or as the Canadians say "bushwackin".

4. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    Gunna GO BUSHWHACKiN"!!!!!

Damn I love scalin'

5. Ramstein

Ramstein Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I actually miss hearing "LET'S GO BUSHWHACKIN". It has been a few years since I heard that.

6. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    Scale Trail Forums - now changed to "Bush Whackin' Trucks"

7. Ditchdiger

Ditchdiger Has a Really Cool Profile Pic
    ELiTE MEMBER

ha ha awesome!

8. TNCrawler

TNCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

From what the research has showed me is that the AX10 RTC kit Is probably the best deal as far as parts and accessories and price but the Losi has come a long way with the night crawler and it's about $40 more for it but the Alum. schocks and other Alum parts on it out weigh the parts that will have to be replaced on the AX10. Now I will stop here on this until I get mine in, The wife and I are ordering both RTC kits and one I have about a week with the 2 crawlers I will finish my debate on here about the 2.. Until then.. Keep Crawling :)

9. momobagodonuts

ELiTE MEMBER

Didn't mean to start a riot. A good friend of mine is from Ontario and he uses that term a lot.

That would be cool.

#9 momobagodonuts, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  10. Warhog53

Warhog53 New Member

awesome TNC, watchin this post feverishly until you post about both! Since it will be a bit until I have the money to get one, tho I saw a fully setup Axial AX10 almost exactly the way I would build it on ebay today for 400. Wiiiishin I had the cash right now lol

11. TNCrawler

ELiTE MEMBER

Wow fully built for 400! errrm bertter get a loan lol jk don't get a loan for a rc lol. For sure tho I will put the 2 rigs through their paces to see which is the best.

12. Warhog53

Warhog53 New Member

Yep, 400 and Buy it now 475... free shipping :/ ebay always teases me like that haha, has new chassis, all aluminum suspension components, 55t brushed motor, upgraded hi torque steering servo with alum arm, tires, wheels etc etc etc.

13. Warhog53

Warhog53 New Member

matter of fact, since I don't have the money atm, here is the link for anyone who may be interested. It looks to be a sweet deal to me and if I had the money I wouldn't pass it up lol!

Custom AXIAL AX-10 1/10 Rock Crawler & Spektrum Radio - eBay (item 150577097382 end time Mar-24-11 10:38:45 PDT)

Honestly, I don't know if there is anything on the setup I would change, it's awesome and if someone on this forum buys it I will call u a lucky bastage... But also congratulate you on a great new rig

#13 Warhog53, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  14. TNCrawler

ELiTE MEMBER

It sure does look good but I would rather build my own, I'm not saying buying fully built is bad its just that I prefer to build after I learn the ins and outs on my RTC's :)

15. Krazy Joe

Krazy Joe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

LOSI since this really cool guy i know gave me new heavy duty worm gears i can not say anything but .....WOW you really kant kill this thing and i really have not broke nuthin but 1 axle due to a 6 foot fall .lol

ps. the really cool guy was MEDiC!!!LOL

16. TNCrawler

ELiTE MEMBER

Whoaaaa Medic Is in the hot seat now lmao. Mr Axial him self giving away HD worm gear lol. MMMM Whats the other side of the story HAHAHA!!!

17. momobagodonuts

ELiTE MEMBER

Everytime I see "Bush Wackin' Trucks" in the categories now I cant help but to laugh. And know ing I had a hand in that makes it even better. Good stuff.
    :XD:

18. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:

You notice i was GIVING it away... I would take Axial over a Losi any day...

lmao ;)

:on fire:

19. TNCrawler

ELiTE MEMBER

Thats Ok krazyjoe and I will give ya a run for you money with our Losi beasts lol.. One day just wait and see we will end the Manufacture war LMAO ;)