1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing rc interest

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by Crawler, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Crawler

Crawler Banned

I'm kinda losing the rc hobby... It costs so much and my parents won't let me buy rc stuff cuz its so much
    And they also say I can't get a elite membership on here cuz it cost money
    They can make me mad and they are the reason I'm getting out of it
    I'm loving the hobby but they are like trying to get me out of it
    So I guess this is why my parents lol
    Have a nice day everyone!!
    Crawler

2. Ultimaxx

Ultimaxx Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If your parents are the reason your getting out of this hobby. I can just imagine what your gonna get into now that you might be out. The alternate would be to get a job to keep your RC hobby alive. Good Luck my friend.

3. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

@Crawler, Don't give up my man, It took a lot of begging , wishing, and waiting for me to finally get my first hobby grade rc waaaay back in the early 80's, and even longer to get the next one.
    I also have a teenage son that wants a lot, but does he get every thing he wants, nope.
    It's not that I don't care about his hobbies, exactly the opposite, but if you get every thing you want in life you will never value the things you have.
    Have fun with what you do have, listen, and learn all you can so when the day comes that you can go out and get the things you want you will have a ton of knowledge about it.
    trust me once rc is in your blood you will never just stop.:)

4. DJspiffyFISH

DJspiffyFISH Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

crank bait is right you cant give up.
    if you can find a way to send $35
    i will change it for you.
    what your parents dont know wont hurt them

5. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

When I was a kid all we had was a nitro air boat, and a control line airplane that I had to share with my two brothers. For many years that was all we had. I never had my own rc till well after I moved out of my parents house. It is a expencive hobby, and you shouldnt expect your parents to fund it. Concider yourself lucky you dont have to share your truck with siblings. Be greatful for what you already have, because it alot more than most kids get.

6. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

I have seen people get their drivers licence and kinda put this hobby to the side and other such scenarios as well. If its all about cost then its time to start paying and getting even a part time weekend job or after school would be a big help. I'm not saying this is the answer but its a great option.

Elite membership is an awesome way to show support but its not mandatory for fun around here at all man. Once you do have it, you wouldn't want it any other way though I warn you.. .haha.

Good luck whatever you decide.

7. imjimbo

imjimbo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Mate every ones lifestyle changes over the years.. ive had just about every hobbie known to man in my time ... There was a 15 year gap for me with the rc stuff ... i was in a similar boat to you .. i had to finance it my self .. at 14 i worked 2 jobs and went to school, played sport and i think i even had a girlfriend that was absorbing alot of funds .. My mum was a single working mum with no outside support she worked for minimum wage and we had zip in the way of luxuries. one of my jobs was to work at the sports club house every weekend just to pay for my membership and weekly fees to play. The other was to fund what ever else i wanted to do..

My advice is to Hang the controller up .. put the truck a box and sit on it for a while .. explore what the world has to offer expand you hobby horizon .. thats the great thing about rc you can put it away and bring it out on a rainy day and see if it still works.. There is no time restrictions and there is always a location with rc, unlike other hobbies .

the other side of the story is that you have a good look at what other activities you do .. can you cut some of them back? Maybe you can make a sandwich to take instead of hitting mum up for $20 for lunch? Show some initiative with your folks .. do things with out being asked do extra things if you have to ... the moral is work hard and aim high YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU WANT IF YOU WORK AT IT!! Dont "Give Up" just have a rest and see what the future holds.

8. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    WILL MOW LAWNS FOR PARTZ !!
    WILL WASH CARS FOR PARTZ

These are the ploys I used to earn that little extra bit of money.. If you are keen enough and your parents see your keen enough and will work to keep the hobby then they might come around..

I too had the same problems.. my parents also tried to make me quit... I told them that I would give up one hobby and one hobby only... So my 1:1 scale 4x4 was sold........ and to think they thought my RC's would go... NEVER !

9. Crawler

Crawler Banned

Well thanks guys
    as some of you know I'm ordering a axial ridgecrest so tht will help me some
    My lhs owner is building a axial dingo kit with his 4 year old son and he said when he's done with it he wants to go scaling so some sick vids will come of that.

10. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Ok I just got to ask if your parents are not funding it and you can't afford it how are you going to afford the Ridgecrest and why not just get a used Axial instead? Would be cheaper.

Don't give up. I know how you feel. When I was a kid and I wanted something my parents could not afford to get me into this hobby or other stuff. Plus they did not want me growing up thinking life is easy and taking advantage of anything. So they told me if there is something I want to get a job and pay for it myself that way I would also appreciate it more and at 10 years old I started delivering papers. Saved my money and bought stuff that I want and I tell you I really enjoyed it more and took way more care of it then having them buy it for me.

You should try getting a part time job or something. It will help you earn money towards this hobby. Its not cheap that is for sure.

But I will say this. Does not have to be hobby grade to have fun. Also just be patient. I did not get my first hobby grade RC until I was 26.

Don't give up just yet.

11. CrawlHog

CrawlHog Banned

im with Dribble, how are you going to buy a new ridgecrest. you cant expect your parents to pay for your hobby, they support you and your brother . they have bills to pay which are more important than buying toys. my kids 15 and when he wants something he works to get it by cutting grass, shoveling snow and so on. we dont always get what we want without earning it. ive been working since i was 14, in fact ive been on my own since i was 14. nobody handed me anything i worked for what i have. if your biggest problem is not being able to get an elite membership consider your self lucky. there are alot of people out there that have it alot worse.

12. Crawler

Crawler Banned

I'm parting out my stampede and selling stuff on it to get the money

13. LetsGoMuddin

LetsGoMuddin Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

aww chear up man, uve got some parts coming from me so you can't give up this awesome hobby! may be don't buy some stuff for a while or sell stuff u don't use to earn $$$. my parents kinda think the same way. you can brush it aside for a little while to think about other stuff, but this hobby is educational and its a great learning experience! id like to work on 1:1 vehicles someday and using, building and fixing r/cs is a great way for me to learn how the 1:1s and r/cs work! hope u stay with the hobby!:haveaniceday:

14. EvaderKMP

EvaderKMP Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Everyone is right about not giving up on the hobby...Hell I have that USS Saucy that I have been working on for almost 4 years now, and it's not even fit for sea trials yet! It seems like for me if it isn't one thing going on it's another... I have my Evader DT sitting as a roller right now because I can't find a transmission to replace those damn plastic gears I keep shredding...perhaps just starting off again with a bearing kit will clear that up but right now the Evader is dead weight...I'm not getting rid of it though cuz I may get back to it down the road...

Real life throws us a lot of curve balls, like the need to pay $60 a week for gas to get to work n back...hundreds for car parts I don't wanna think about right now...lol but I take a little, and set it aside when I can...Very little.

Just don't give up on anything unless it's absoluly neccessary. Good luck!

15. djnv

djnv New Member

your 1st move imo is to ask your parents if there is things you can do around the house to make a few extra bucks, than you help them out a bit and yourself as well. If not start with a paper route, it sucks but it's your own $ and looks good to employers, shows your not lazy. Try to save a little bit too than you can buy a whole new rig or go pro cam once in awhile instead of just parts and maintenance. Good luck, hope you stick with it!

16. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well I just lost my job.. So going elite is gonna have to wait... Selling my house is the 1st priority..

17. AJrc123

AJrc123 Honorary Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

My parents hate it too, but now im 16 and spending my own money on it so i dnt care what they say, they wont get me rc's as gifts anymore on christmas but i dont care, its what i love to do and again, ITS MY FREIKIN MONEY, so mom, GET OVER IT. :yuush:
    But thats just my 2cents

18. AJrc123

AJrc123 Honorary Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Me too, im gonna be going to tech school in 2yrs after high school

19. Crawler

Crawler Banned

Why u guys commenting on this now? I have 2 new rcs since then and a lot more rc stuff lol

20. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Cause other people are now in the same place you were..