1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Torque 8 vs Everest 10 vs Costco Crawler

Discussion in 'Rock Crawler Chat' started by dmking, Oct 20, 2017.

?

Best Cheap Starting Point for Kid/Adult Noob

1. Costco kid Galaxy 1/8 scale Crawler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Everest 10

85.7%
  3. Maxstone 8/ Madtorque 8

14.3%
  1. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    both the everest10 and the gen7 have 2 things in common, 1st is the transmission, the trans comes with all plastic gears, not a problem until you start upgrading the power, then they will likely strip, I successfully ran mine with a 35t motor and 2 cell, but upgraded to an axial trans with all steel gears later on, and no the axial gears will not fit the everest trans unless you modify the trans case, to fit the different size bearing the axial gear takes on the output, the input gear and the idler gear can use the stock bearings but you would have to change the input shaft too, it's simply easier to buy an axial trans and put in metal gears with the only mod needed is two mount holes moved slightly inward on the skid/trans mount plate, the second is the lockers in the axles, they are plastic, they can be replaced with axial lockers and cups, but you must grind the stock axle shafts to fit, the section that goes into the locker is smaller on the axial parts, or use axial shafts, you can also buy these https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-1-10-HS...569524?hash=item43f85bb8f4:g:gw0AAOSw1DtXJxac they are a direct drop in part, the hsp is another crawler that uses the same running gear as the everst10 and gen 7, there's also this crawler that uses them too https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Scale...341410?hash=item33d72c5ee2:g:gaoAAOSwLyVZxNJG

dmking and Little Rascle like this.
  2. dmking

dmking Member

sweet rc and Little Rascle like this.
  3. Little Rascle

Little Rascle Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If it is a wrath you want, look at this one. $300 + shipping https://www.rcsparks.com/forum/index.php?threads/43145/

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

sweet rc and dmking like this.
  4. dmking

dmking Member

I am still trying to figure out what I want. So many choices, so much information to process, and so little actual experience. I keep getting drawn spend more and more money... But when I think that I could get a Everest for me and my son for $300, it makes me re-think... It would be fun to have something with a little more speed like the wraith, and even the Gen7. I don't want 35mph, just more than 3mph. Too many options x(. I know we will have fun with whatever I end up getting. I should probably stay with my original budget limit of $200.

Little Rascle likes this.
  5. Little Rascle

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    There are a lot of good rigs at that price. Do you want "scale" or "flex"?

"Scale" = looks

"Flex" = how it performs

dmking likes this.
  6. sweet rc

sweet rc Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    dmking, Polaris425 and Little Rascle like this.
  7. dmking

dmking Member

I prefer better flex over scale

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

8. Little Rascle

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The Red Cat E10 has very little flex when box stock.

dmking likes this.
  9. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    with the wraith you showed you will still be adding another $120 at least, to the price, a tranny will run around 40, drive shafts another 30, f, a flysky fs-gt2e radio system, cheap but very good, is another 30, battery will run anywhere from 20 up depending on the brand, cell count, and mah, plus charger, you'd be looking at least $320, to have a running rc, on the plus side it does have some good upgrades already done to it, the E10 just needs a 35t motor and it will move pretty good, some softer springs on the front shocks wouldn't hurt it either. just be careful of the problems I mentioned before if you go with the redcat.

10. dmking

dmking Member

Thanks for the good info. After thinking about what my wife would say if I told her my $150 I was going to spend turned into $300, and with your helpful advice, I think I am back to Everest 10 or Gen7 Sport. Anything else in the $200 price range worth looking at? Not finding anything used in this price range that looks decent. I was trying to see if I could get more for the money buying used, but there is not much available in my price range, or I don't know where to look, or what to look for.

Also, are you still using stock battery with the 35T motor. If so, did it affect crawling performance noticeably?

11. Little Rascle

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I hear the ECX Barrage is good.

dmking likes this.
  12. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I run a 2 and 3 cell lipo, but my trans and diff lockers are upgraded, a 35t on 2cell should be fine as long as you don't get the wheels wedged in somewhere and try to power out, but i'd be sure to upgrade the trans and lockers if you plan to run 3 cell, the stock esc can easily handle 3 cell, as for another rig around the same price look at this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-RGT-R...322953?hash=item33d8e69809:g:2MEAAOSwVlVZ5sYH this one is the exact same truck as the ecx barrage, but with a different body wheels and tires, or this one also from redcat https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redcat-Rac...269332&hash=item2837ccb3d9:g:gxUAAOSw6ShZRDt3 for a good replacement steering servo, eventually you will need a new one, I use this one on all my rigs including my big maxstone8 based 6x6 https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDKJ-D3015...Robot-Servo-/202034773291?hash=item2f0a35fd2b

13. Dalton Brenneke

Dalton Brenneke Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Personally id suggest the hg p402 they are around $120 I have one and they are very capable stock most come with a 2s lips and with some minor upgrades they could be a very capable competition crawler. Another bonus is most parts are exchangeable with the axial scx10. they have metal gearboxes and metal Axel gears if you get one Id suggest getting better tires and rims for it and a new steering servo but all in all its a good starter model

walter and dmking like this.
  14. dmking

dmking Member

Not seen that one. Will read up on them.

15. dmking

dmking Member

For about $125 I can get one of these delivered, including a necessary servo upgrade, and the extra servo so you can shift with the remote. Shifter servo would take an extra 2-3 weeks to get to me

Pro's
    2 speed
    Inexpensive
    reviewers say it has decent build quality despite being mostly plastic
    mostly metal gears
    comes with Lipo battery

Con's
    Mostly plastic
    Gears are cheap metal that tend to wear out faster than what one would expect from metal gears.
    parts all come from china so, it will take a almost a month to get a replacement part.
    Shocks are not oil filled
    Articulation needs improvement

Dalton Brenneke likes this.
  16. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    most people I know who has one use the stock steering servo as the shift servo, another problem I encountered on mine was the bushings, it has only a couple places where it uses bearings, those are in the transmission itself, the trans has a mix of bushings and bearings, and they are odd sized bushings, the axles have all bushings too, I honestly didn't recommend the hg because I feel it will cost more to make it a properly reliable long lasting rc.

dmking and Dalton Brenneke like this.
  17. Rcak

Rcak New Member

[​IMG]
    Redcat Racing Everest Gen7 PRO with Tattu 5200mah 2s battery, all look like so cool, right?
    Like them :xd:;)

Little Rascle and sweet rc like this.
  18. dmking

dmking Member

I got two everest 10`s when they were on sale for 120 each after discounts from tower hobbies. I think this was the by far the best choice I could have made. I would never have gotten a turn otherwise. The out of box top speed is perfect for my 5 year old. And for being one of the cheapest 1/10 scale hobby grade crawlers, it can climb great. It's even has enough power to pull my son around on his wheely bug. We went to a local park with a lot of hills and rocky paths today. It tackled almost everything I thought it had even a remote chance of making it up, and a few I thought it wouldn't. Not even the ice and snow slowed it up too much. My son's favorite part was driving though the frozen creek. We played for an hour and a half before I drained my battery. Only downside is the body broke on one of them. I rolled it down a very tall very steep hill three times into a frozen creek bed, and it was fine. But a one foot fall off a rock onto the ice cracked it... What is the best way to patch it together? [​IMG]

19. dmking

dmking Member

Looks like shoe goo and drywall tape will do the trick. Also going to glue plastic washers to all body post holes.

walter and Little Rascle like this.
  20. dmking

dmking Member

So... Next I will move into mods. Going to keep my son's stock, that way I can compare and contrast how much of a difference a mod makes. I spent several hours playing around with a few simple mods last night. Grinding the bumpers off to improve turning radius, and Played around with a couple of different suspension settings. Looks like it is very dependent on the terrain type. For my indoor crawling reducing the center of gravity by using the outer holes for the lower linkage made me high center when doing a stair step that I could do with stock setup. However I could see for steep hill climbs it would give a little more play before you roll. Next mod I will be doing are wheel weights and moving the battery tray. I have not decided on method yet for weights. Would like to not put it on a rotating part if possible, especially because I will be getting a 27t motor for it soon. Thanks for all the advice and helping me make this decisions. After I get a bit more play time in, I will start a new thread, and compare different mod's to stock, with a side by side of stock car and modded car with video showing actually differences. My goal is after I am done making all the cheap/ free mod's to do a video showing how to do each of them, so that it is all in one place with easy to follow instructions. Cause right now it seems like there are a few lists, but half the things on some of the lists, I am not even certain what they are talking about. I also have access to a 3D printer, so I will probably incorporate that in at some point. Now to see how much of this I will actually have the time to accomplish :).

walter and Little Rascle like this.