1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a more scale looking Traxxas Summit.

Discussion in 'OFF Road Build Projects' started by Danboard, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

This will be a slow going project as I can only tend to it during my free time from work, which is very limited. Nonetheless, hoping to start out by getting some ideas from you guys. I know that there are not many Traxxas owners here, but I could use some ideas from you more experienced RC owners and modders.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas they can pitch for me on making the Summit to look more scale.

The Summit looks great, but after looking at some scale 4x4's I've been thinking of doing a project to make mine look more scale looking.

I understand that the Summit does not have solid axles which is some kind of a trademark of scale 4x4s, so instead I plan on attacking by modifying the body and maybe some new set of wheels.

For starters, I'm planning to get new tires and beadlock wheels for that. Maybe start out by removing the exo-cage from the lexan body and just use the cage as a start point to make my own body (with fenders, ala Mini Moke or WWII Jeep):

[​IMG]
    Mini Moke

I just haven't decided yet on what body material and what building technique to use and could use some recommendations with that as I am still new to this RC thing. If there are any 1/5 or 1/6 scale body that would fit the Summit's wheelbase, that would be cool too.

Any thoughts?

#1 Danboard, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator
    Staff Member ADMiNiSTRAToR SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Holy SH!t! That would be awesome! Lol. I wish i had a direction to point you in... but what a cool concept you have come up with. I have a feeling the summit is really gunna offer folks a lot of choices in what they can do with the RC. Its ideas like this one that pioneer the way. Im looking forward to seeing how this idea progresses. Good luck man, and thanks for posting!

3. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, Medic! I'll make sure to keep this project updated as things develop and more ideas from other members come in.

4. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

well, I think the first thing to making the summit look more scale would be to get scale tires, as for a new body I don't think you have many options because of its wide width and short length, unless...
    you know how the traxxas slayer uses the same chassis as a Revo with different shorter A-arms, if you can get some of these shorter A-arms on the summit you might be able to find a body that will fit, and the length of the car will not look so short with a more narrow width. I think RCCA (RC car action) made this type of summit but all they did was put 2.2 tires on and slayer a-arms and called it a day;)

5. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

@rcjoe Noted. I've read about that Summit LT that RCCA made. The shorter a-arms do make it look more narrower, albeit at the loss of some articulation. Thanks for the tip.

6. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

#6 rcjoe, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  7. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Hi everyone! Sorry for the lack of update. I did mention that I can only get into this one during my free time off work. I still think about it a lot so during some free time this morning I decided to remove the exo-cage from my Summit's body for starters and show you how it looks with only the exo-cage mounted on the truck:

[​IMG]

More 7/8 views:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might try and bring these images into Photoshop and see if I can sketch something on how it might look.

I think I also have an idea on what material to use for the body if ever I decide to make one from scratch. I might use some Styrene, the idea of which I got from WT's thread here: http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/showthread.php?107-WT-s-Offroad-Camper

All the fantastic looking rigs that everybody else is posting here sure is very inspiring! Hopefully my project can progress in the same manner.

8. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

I still had time before I go to work so I decided to do some sketching in Photoshop to show what I have in mind with regards to how this might look:

[​IMG]

It's just a wild idea right now, but this is what's been running through my head since I thought of this project. I really like the Mini Moke look and also how it looks like a Jeep as well. The body will extend beyond how wide the chassis is so I can put in some inner fenders. I was not able to draw the steering wheel and seats but it sure would be cool if I can find some that I could add to it once I start building the actual body.

I drafted this with the stock wheels for now but I plan on getting a different set with beadlock wheels once funds become available to add some realism there. I'm also playing around with the idea of maybe attaching a spare wheel too!

I might stick with the stock, wide A-arms because I am liking the wide stance. With what I am planning here, it looks like it's going to look more close to 1/6 scale than 1:10 scale!

That's all for now. Would be interested in what you guys think of where I am going with this.

9. RobscoRC

RobscoRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This looks fancy.. and Simply AWESOME!! Cant wait to see it!

10. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    WOW!! it never fails to amaze me every time I see something like this. Innovation and complete awesomeness.

Bro.. GREAT JOB! RCSparks is privileged to have someone with such an amazing sense of design posting here.

Thanks bro.. keep up the good work!

11. Krazy Joe

Krazy Joe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nice choice of build Should be VERY cool Keep us posted!!!

12. imtowman

imtowman <b>RCSparks Addict</b> <br />
    ELiTE MEMBER

I like how it looks without the body. Kinda one off buggy like or something.

13. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Hi everybody! Thanks for the comments!

I was finally able to set some time aside today to work on mocking up the body for my Summit. I just used regular bristol board and taped it together. After a good whole day's work, here's what I came up with:

[​IMG]

I initially tried to incorporate the exo-cage with the mock-up, but from the very first cut of bristol board it was clear that I had to throw that idea away as it was too much work and I had a lot of clearance issues.

Here's the bristol board mock-up on the Summit:

[​IMG]

While mocking the body up, it just took a life of its own. I started out by cutting out the shapes of the front to get that Jeep fascia then worked my way to the rear. I was not able to match it perfectly with my rough draft, but I still tried to make it look like a Jeep by adding the fenders and added the side pod borrowed from the Mini Moke.

Here's the rear 3/4's view. I am not too happy with how the rear turned out:

[​IMG]

That's the rear body mount post sticking out of the rear bed. I do not dare cut it down.

Here's the side view of the mock-up:

[​IMG]

I made sure to keep all panels as rectangular and square as possible and avoided any curved shapes so that once I decide to build it using Styrene it would be easy. This is my first scratch build and I don't want to be ambitious yet and have no prior experience working with Styrene, let alone build an RC body from scratch!

14. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Here's a more close up view of the front 3/4's:

[​IMG]

I decided to make it in such a way that the inner chassis is covered, hence those angled panels underneath the fenders. Those shapes follow the shape of the chassis. I am obsessed at coming up with a body that would also serve double purpose as a body chassis shield and I think I was able to achieve that at the price of those unsightly shapes underneath the fenders. Should be easy to make it disappear by painting it black to block it out.

I wanted to go ahead and mock up a roll-cage out of bristol board as well but my back aches now from working on the floor as I don't have a work bench for my RC.

Let me know what you guys think!

15. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

this thing looks great! it reminds me of an Amphicar for some reason, you did an awesome job making that body out of bristol board, and it should look great with a roll-cage:cool:

16. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, Josh! Yeah, I plan to mock-up a roll-cage as well, maybe with bristol board for now; I can't think of a material to use for that at the moment.

17. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Hi guys!

I was working on my first mock-up this morning to deal with some fitting issues. Out of a whim, I placed the Summit's exo-cage on top of the first mock-up and was pleasantly surprised that by dumb luck, it actually fit! I made another mock-up, modifying the front a bit so it could fit the exo-cage and removed the side pod altogether:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I liked this version as it uses the existing exo-cage. However, it still looked just like another Summit to me, so I am a bit torn as what version I should go with.

I probably should just do both :)

Let me know what you guys think!

18. Beastmanh

Beastmanh <b>1!NUX_RUl3$</b>
    ELiTE MEMBER

Wow that looks sweet man :) If it were me I might cut the upper half of the cage off and just mount that portion to the top of the body. Also I would cut the front off of the cage, so the ossm work on the front end is exposed. Great job so far man!

19. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    :-0

I cant believe what I am looking at !! S.I.C.K!!!!!

I see what your saying though.. its missing some kind of "snap"...

What about painint and putting in an interior with a driver possibly? Too crazy for you?! I think it would look pretty cool.. even cooler THAN IT IS NOW!!

:)

20. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    Great photos by the way.. Pro job!