1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a more scale looking Traxxas Summit.

Discussion in 'OFF Road Build Projects' started by Danboard, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, man! Yeah, I was thinking of doing that too. I am just holding off cutting the exo-cage as I want to keep it. I might order another set of Summit exo-cage and will probably do the butchering on that one.

2. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, medic! Driver cockpit and painting in the pipeline once I iron-out all my fitting issues and start with the scratch build!

3. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Hi guys! Just a small update before the day ends.

I went back to working on my first mock-up:

[​IMG]

I was getting some rubbing issues with the fenders and tires so I trimmed the fenders a bit. I also thinned the side pods down:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drove the Summit with the bristol board mock up body for a short bit to see how it would look and drive. So far, I think I cleared most of the tire-rubbing issues.

Next would be mocking up the roll cage. I think I will just use black bristol board for now as I am getting the knack of using it.

Feedbacks and comments appreciated!

4. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

that's a great idea, when you roll that heavy summit you need some strength for it not to bend or snap, and the cage mounts on the body posts instead of the body itself, personally I would cut the door parts off and some of the front off the cage, but very nice job, you have great creativity and I'm looking forward to the final truck:D

5. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

I agree, Josh. Thanks!

Another update on my first mock-up body. I was planning on making a mock-up of the roll cage using black bristol board but balked at the idea when I found how difficult that would be! Instead, I found some bendable straws in our pantry so I used that to make a template for my roll cage:

[​IMG]

Apologies to those who know the science of making roll cages for my feeble attempt at making one! I don't know if mine is designed correctly, but I tried to make it in such a way that it also wrapped around the body just like the exo-cage of the Summit:

[​IMG]

I think that's that for my bristol board mock-up! I think the only thing left now is to actually build the body using this as a template.

Before I go to my LHS to purchase my materials, I sure could use some tips and suggestions on how to properly build this. This will be my first attempt at scratch building something out of Styrene and I could use some help with choosing what thickness of Styrene sheet I should get and what bonding or gluing material to use.

6. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

hey! that thing is really looking nice, that has got to be the most scale looking summit I'v ever seen, if only you could make that roll cage out of metal:D

7. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, Josh! Oh boy, that remains to be seen if that roll cage will ever be built out of metal as I don't have any welding skills! We shall see, we shall see. I am currently reading up on how to work with Styrene and will soon start building the body. Will let everybody know how that will progress soon!

8. momobagodonuts

momobagodonuts Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

An exo-cage could be made from brass. If you can solder then you can easily sweat brass together. That would be a kick a$$ roll exo-cage.

9. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Cool tip, thanks! I'll look that up as well.

10. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

I know how to do 3 different types of welding! except I suck at all of them:(

11. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

LOL, at least you know how to!

Just a short update: I am reading up on how to work with Styrene and might start my build by next week once I get free time from work. So far, here's my shopping list:

1. Styrene sheets (1 mm or higher, whichever my LHS has in stock) for the body.
    2. Plastruct Bondene for gluing. I am not sure if my LHS has them. Otherwise, it might just be Tamiya 80712 Cement.
    3. X-acto knife.

I already have a cutting mat and aluminum rulers.

Styrene rods to be purchased later when it's time to build the roll cage.

If anyone has some suggestions on what other things to get, please let me know.

12. WildTriaLFilms

WildTriaLFilms Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

WOW, that's a BadA$$ mockup. You got everything lined up for ya.

You should probably use some ticker styrene sheets, like 1.5 -> 2.5 mm.
    Use some angle strips in the corners, to make it a bit stronger.

13. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Cool! Thanks for the tip, WT; I'll definitely get those thickness!

14. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    guys were using 1:1 brake line and brazing it together to make tube chassis I was thinking about that.but could get heavy and with weight that high up on a summit it's not really a good thing for climbing

15. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

I've read about 1:1 brake lines being turned into tube chassis as well; I just don't know how to "braze". :)

I'll experiment with Styrene tubes first and see how that goes.

16. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Me either but i won't let that stop me.looks easy enough but we all know how that goes...LOL

17. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Hello, my friends! I just wanted to update you on what's been going on with my build project.

To recap, this is the bristol board mock-up that I made:

[​IMG]

After weeks of research, I think I've read enough information about how to work with Styrene to start building so I finally went ahead to my closest LHS to get the materials that I think I will be needing:

[​IMG]

Here are the styrene sheets that I bought for building the body. I went with the 0.40" (1 mm) and 0.30" (.75 mm) thickness.

[​IMG]

I also bought some .250" x .250" (6.3 mm x 6.3 mm) square styrene strips which I plan to use for the roll cage. I was going to go with tubes, but thought working with tubular rods will be much harder for me when it comes to joining them together:

[​IMG]

Here's is the glue that I am going to use:

[​IMG]

I initially was going to use Tamiya liquid cement for the build but read about how Plastruct Bondene (or Tenax 7R) is much more effective in welding styrene together. However, I was not expecting that my LHS will be having that in stock (they don't have it listed in their online store) so I was delighted to find out that they do!

There 'ya go! I am very excited to get started with the build. I will post update pix as soon as they are available. Wish me luck!

18. momobagodonuts

momobagodonuts Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

19. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

good luck, I can see this truck is going to be EPIC!:)

20. draggerdude

draggerdude New Member

So totally looks awsome. Would love to see it in action!

#40 draggerdude, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011