1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a more scale looking Traxxas Summit.

Discussion in 'OFF Road Build Projects' started by Danboard, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, my friends!

Aw man, I wish I could. I just don't have the equipment and the skill to be able to do it.

2. draggerdude

draggerdude New Member

Wan't a hand with that skills thing, I've got the tools.

3. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Whoa, that is cool! I'll see and let you know once I finish the body. That way I can make exact measurements to make a template for the roll cager before going ahead with building it. Thanks for the offer, man, I will surely keep you in mind as soon as I finish with the body!

4. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Hi, everyone!

Here’s another update on the build. I made good time this morning and was able to put together the front, middle and back of the body:

[​IMG]

Mocking up the body in bristol board and using that as a template helped speed things up for me; all I had to do was take the measurements from the mock up and transfer it to the styrene sheet and cut the pieces for the body.

I did not go loco with gluing the body together; it was just a straight joint, with no reinforcements at all, which made putting them together faster. I don’t know how strong the bonds of the straight joints will be, but I count this as a learning experience as I am just too excited to see the body finished right away:

[​IMG]

The Plastruct Bondene works in such a way that you need to hold the pieces together and then apply the solvent over the seam. Capillary action then spreads the solvent between the joints. I then press and hold the pieces together for 10-15 seconds. The solvent works really fast; it evaporates quickly while melting the styene to form a nice bond.

Working with different sections allowed me to move from joint to joint, giving the bond ample time to cure.

Plastruct Bondene smells horrible, by the way. I made sure I was wearing a mask so that I will not sniff or inhale the vapors, which can be harmful. I also made sure I had all my windows open so there is good ventilation in my work area.

Will post more updates as they come. Thanks for following along!

5. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Hi again, my friends!

I am just discovering how to work with Styrene and thought of sharing a post on how I have been bonding/glueing the material together while I work on scratch-building the body that I mocked-up for my Traxxas Summit.

I start out by lining up the pieces that needs to be bonded:

[​IMG]

I am using Plastruct Bondene to joint the two pieces. I use the included brush applicator in the bottle and lightly spread some of the solvent along the joints:

[​IMG]

I then press the pieces together for 10-15 seconds to form the bond:

[​IMG]

The solvent is drawn into the joint by capillary action, melting and softening the two materials being joined together, effectively bonding them. Here is an image of the other side were you can see some of the melted styrene oozing out of the joint as I press down on it:

[​IMG]

After 10-15 seconds, the materials are bonded. Recommended curing time for a joint is around 30 minutes. I proceed by cutting the pieces for the other parts that I need and work on that.

Hope this will help anybody who wants to try their hand at scratch building. More experienced builders are free to chime in with their own techniques.

6. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

SUCCESS! I finally finished building my new Summit body from styrene!

Here's are some image of the completed body mounted on the Summit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I opted to put fenders only at the front so that it will look more like a flat-fendered Willy's jeep, albeit a disproportionate one :)

Only thing left now is to do some detailing and a good coat of paint! That will have to wait while I move on to doing the roll-cage first.

Talk to you guys soon!

7. imtowman

imtowman <b>RCSparks Addict</b> <br />
    ELiTE MEMBER

looking good man!

8. momobagodonuts

momobagodonuts Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

ditto. That looks so good

9. WildTriaLFilms

WildTriaLFilms Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Dan you are so on the right track, looking good man,

10. Beastmanh

Beastmanh <b>1!NUX_RUl3$</b>
    ELiTE MEMBER

Wow, very clean work!

11. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Dan this thing looks so awesome! great work, the truck looks perfect:cool: do you know what color your going to paint it?

12. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, my friends!

I am debating between painting it in matte red (like the original Mini Moke reference image) or matte green, as in the colours of those WWII Willy's Jeeps. Or something in the shade of any army tanks, just to go for a weathered look.

13. momobagodonuts

momobagodonuts Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Matte red would be great because it's different. My 2 cents.

14. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

I am leaning towards that colour too, my friend! :)

15. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Hey that looks like my buddies ......NOT no one has one of those that makes it triple cool.looks great one of a kind and can't just go buy one ultimate cool

16. draggerdude

draggerdude New Member

Sweet looking truck man!! Awsome pics too!

17. TNCrawler

TNCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Dan, you took the meaning of custom RC to a whole new level I applaud you my friend. great job, cant wait to see it in the dirt and turning heads every where

18. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Many thanks, my friends! I am really feeling good about this build with all your encouragements!

Here are some more updates: I was able to build the roll cage out of square styrene strips:

[​IMG]

I mentioned earlier that I opted for some 6.3 mm x 6.3 mm styrene strips instead of rounded styrene tubes. I felt that because of my inexperience, joining two rounded tubes together would be much harder. In fact, it was very hard for me to cut the styrene strips and had to resort with some straight joints because I couldn't get a good angle cut with my current tools. I really wished I had a dremmel or something, but for now this will do

Here's the roll cage fitted to the body:

[​IMG]

I will make it a two piece set, very much like how the Summit's Lexan body and Exo-cage is. I still have to figure out how to screw on the roll cage into the styrene body.

Here's another image of the roll cage and styrene body:

[​IMG]

I also would like to report that the roll cage survived an accidental drop! I was very surprised how the joints held up, considering that I was not doing a perfect job gluing the joints together (I was not using alcohol or whatever to clean the joints before applying the glue and some of my end cuts were not very straight). I made a number of drop test after that and was happy with the durability of the built. Of course, it remains to be seen how it would survive a full roll over once it is mounted on the Summit itself.

I still need to do a bit more detailing before I call this build complete and proceed with painting. I will update with pix as soon as I can. Thanks again for following along!

#58 Danboard, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
    Facerolla likes this.
  19. TNCrawler

TNCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

IMO I think the square tube roll cage makes it look more beefy, looking good bro :)

20. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks! I was pretty happy with how the square tube roll cage turned out as well. Might have looked more realistic if it were rounded, but as it is right now I am pretty satisfied :)

Here are some more updates:

I finished making the mounting plates for the roll cage. The cage will be a separate piece from the body; it will be removable and I will just attach it with screws from inside the body. Very much like the original Exo-Cage, I built some plates that directly mount to the mounting posts. I also added some details such as a grill and a space for the headlights to the front of the body:

[​IMG]

Here is the complete, unpainted body mounted on the Summit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will just make the cockpit as a separate piece. Right now, this one is ready for some paint! But before that, I think I will try running this thing with the new body on to see how it will hold up.

Thanks for viewing and following along. Let me know what you guys think!

Facerolla likes this.