1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a more scale looking Traxxas Summit.

Discussion in 'OFF Road Build Projects' started by Danboard, Feb 7, 2011.

1. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think this thing is totally awesome! but I would recommend painting the body before driving it as it will become dirty and be a pain to clean again before you paint it;)

2. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, Josh! I wanted to give it a few runs to see how the glue joints will hold up. That way I can remedy the vulnerable parts before painting. Don't worry, I always clean up after every run, so the body will definitely get washed soon after getting it dirty :)

To update as well, I did ran the truck with the body on, albeit indoors and in training mode only (half power). I had some rubbing issues with the fenders when making sharp turns (that's when the suspension is fully compressed and the wheel at full lock). The esc and the motor was hotter than usual, so I think I may have to add some vents to give it some ventilation.

I also forced it to roll over by trying to climb some stairs. The roll cage was able to carry the weight of the truck when turned over. No damage to the body so far and the joints are holding up pretty nicely.

Tomorrow I will run it outdoors while there's still some snow left to see how well the body can hold up at max power.

3. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Hi everyone! Here are some update on my custom body for my Traxxas Summit.

I ran the truck with the body on this morning to see how well it will hold up:

[​IMG]

It was still snowing here in Airdrie so it was also a perfect time to see how the body can keep the snow off the chassis. It did it quite well:

[​IMG]

The body and the roll cage held up very well, although there were a number of pieces that started to come apart. Not a biggie, it was in places were I was expecting the joints will be most vulnerable. I will give the body a once-over to add more reinforcements and will proceed with paint.

Oh, and here is a short video of the run I made in the snow:

[video=youtube;M5B-WkLyqCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5B-WkLyqCs[/video]

I was not able to do some jumps because the snow was much thicker at our backyard were my snow ramps were.

Will update soon as I finish adding reinforcements to the body and start painting it. Thanks for following along!

4. TUSOffRoad

TUSOffRoad Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Excellent work! That looks awesome! :grin:
    You've really done a great job on this!

It's kinda making me want a Summit now LOL

5. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator
    Staff Member ADMiNiSTRAToR SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    I always want a summit after I watch his vids.. sighhhhhhhhh always trying to cost me money..lmao

6. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, guys! Makes me wonder: WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? :grin:

Sorry for the lack of updates. I wanted to start painting the body but the weather is still cold and unfriendly around here.

Which is fine because it gave me an excuse to work on the body some more and add details while I wait for better weather.

I started out by adding some side vents to the rear quarters of the body to allow some of the heat from the ESC and motor to escape:

[​IMG]

The ESC and motor runs much cooler than before with the vents added.

I also added some details to the side pod, sort of an homage to my original inspiration, the Mini Moke:

[​IMG]

I was in a roll so I decided to make a hint of a dashboard and a rear seat back to the cockpit:

[​IMG]

I decided to go with a single seater because I found the body too narrow to add a passenger seat for the scale that I was going for.

The completed body, just waiting for paint:

[​IMG]

Is this scale enough? I posed a 1/6 scale action figure with the truck to see:

[​IMG]

Oh, that's my 1/6 Scale Hot Toys U.S. Army Ranger Action Figure. I have another, a more standard body, which I plan to put in as a driver.

Hoping for all this cold weather to finally go away so I can start painting! Thanks for following along!

7. TUSOffRoad

TUSOffRoad Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Great idea with the vents, & the driver looks perfect to me :grin:
    If Medic were to put a "Best Builds" or "Epic Builds" section up for us, this rig would definitely have my vote to be #1
    :want:
    Absolutely a work of art!

8. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Aw, man! Thanks for the compliments, TUS!

9. Beastmanh

Beastmanh <b>1!NUX_RUl3$</b>
    ELiTE MEMBER

Fricken sweet man! I LOVE the grill and side pod details, really makes it all come together. GREAT job!

10. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, my friend! I really wished I spent more time making that grill look more detailed like a Willy's Jeep, but maybe in version 2 I will.

11. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

awhh, Danboard you still like playing with your action figures? haha your truck looks even nicer, it's getting more and more scale by the day, keep up the great work
    :grin:

12. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

LOL, thanks Josh! I actually nipped the bud and stopped collecting these 1/6 scale figures right after my second purchase.

Wish me good weather so I can start painting this thing!

13. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

I wish you luck! in edmonton the weather has been great for the last few days, right now it's +8c

14. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

That figure looks like he'd go in there pretty well...

15. Crawler Ted

Crawler Ted Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Truck looks great ,,I think the driver is impaired .

16. PSY6661

PSY6661 New Member

okay, i must admit, i really dislike the summit, but from what i see here, i love what youve done with it

17. rcmike09

rcmike09 New Member

hey man looking great!!!! an idea if you havent painted it yet. on the inside of the body use some angle styrene. it will hold the two pecies together better. epic build and now i want the mini summit to go with the rest of my 1/10 scale stuff. ummmm solid rear axle maybe lol. also just thinking the tire rubs might go away after you get new tires. if your still planning on that.

great build agian!! just like the styrene was easy to work with after you got it and did some so is sodier and brassing. welding takes practice and a good teacher tho. so just get some scrap and try it out for the next build!!! YOU HAVE SKILLS MY FRIEND!!!!!

18. MonsterMark

MonsterMark Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Did you ever finish this????? I would like to see it with paint

19. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, my friends!

I never got to finish it. I ended up selling that first Summit. The body had been put to storage and was eventually thrown away in the garbage by accident. No biggie, I can probably re-do it again when I ever get the time.

:haveaniceday:

Facerolla likes this.
  20. MonsterMark

MonsterMark Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ohh ok lol i know its been like 2 years

Facerolla likes this.