1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mammoet - My 6WD/6WS Jugg2/TXT based truck

Discussion in 'Road Giants 6x6/8x8/10x10' started by potatocat, Dec 29, 2015.

1. potatocat

potatocat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This is my 6x6 monster truck built from a Tamiya Juggernaut2 and a TXT-1. They shared the same axle design, which is what made parts interchangeable. I built this because as an interpretation of what a 6x6 Tamiya Bruiser would be like.

[​IMG]

Three stick pack batteries power the truck- two are for motors and the third is for radio/servo gear along with the light and sound kit (and other planned onboard accessories). In terms of performance it is no faster or more powerful than a stock TXT-1. Two silver can 540 motors provide the oomph and is something I could drive around in a relaxing manner all day.

Some quick specs about the truck:
    Overall length: 36"
    Wheelbase (F/M, M/R): 15.5", 8"
    Weight: 24 lbs
    Motors: Dual silver can 540
    Batteries: Triple conventional stick packs, eventually 2s LiPo hard case
    ESC: Dual Novak Rooster in parallel
    Steering: Triple servos in claw steering mode, (2x Futaba S3004, 1x Hitec HS422BB)
    Chassis: Machined 6063 aluminum channel, ladder frame
    Driveline: Stock TXT-1 transmission, E-Maxx driveshafts, self-made 416 stainless steel middle axle input/output shaft
    Suspension: Dual-facing elliptical leaf spings, HPI Savage dampers
    Other doodads: Tamiya big rig sound and light kit, onboard bike speedometer

[​IMG]

The truck used to have a three speed manual transmission but I removed it because driveshafts were getting mangled up fairly quickly due to shift stresses. At some point I would like to add one again but for now I want to keep the truck ready to run at a moment's notice. My little one is able to drive (using a separate model profile with the throttle curve turned WAY down) and she always calls 'first dibs'.

[​IMG]

This is an older picture, but a closer look at the mechanicals and layout of the truck is shown above. The suspension leaves on the top have 5 layers, and the bottom have 3. This allows for the springs to keep their 'face' and resists buckling from the inside out. The steering uses standard servos but due to the high crown of the Juggernaut tires, even standard servos can swing the tires lock to lock while the truck is standing still. Link rods are all made from 3/8" 6061 aluminum rounds, threaded for 10-24.

[​IMG]

The speedometer is shown here. Most of these units let to program a wide range of wheel sizes into their odometer feature. I get right around a mile of distance out of a fully charged standard 1500maH stick pack. Instead of a magnetic switch like on a bike, I used an enclosed reed switch. This unit while low tech will be kept around because it is simple and reliable- and if I add updated telemetry in the future it will be used as a point of reference.

[​IMG]

I built the truck in 2004, after I had acquired a vertical mill and lathe. It is mostly in the same physical condition ever since, and while I have some upgrades in mind for it- they probably won't pan out well until I finish my other projects. The only thing I might do in the meantime is upgrading the ESCs to be LiPo compatible units and go with a sensored brushless setup.

Thanks for reading!

2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It's such a cool rig and I like how you used the ellipse leaf spring design.

Y2daT likes this.
  3. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

here are some shafts that can be purchased by length that will hold up to the shifting
    http://www.junfac.com/shop/?main_page=index&cPath=27 i use them in my Over powered scx10 running 25 volts to a 18v drill motor . and have had no shaft failures
    That is a cool build for sure ... Monster 6x6 rig

potatocat likes this.
  4. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    that is a beautiful rig , and really very similar to the vision I had for my monster 6x6, but I don't have the skills or money to do it, so i'll have to settle for what I can do to my own rig..

potatocat likes this.
  5. potatocat

Thanks! I was not aware that Junfac made these! Unfortunately the longest one is still too short :( I need 8" (203mm) and 7 (177mm)" driveshafts. I think in the long run I am going to investigate other options - like E-Revo shafts. To fit those I am going to have to machine a longer TXT tranny output shaft... but that is just the first thing which needs to change. The transmission is definitely going to need a manual clutch or Tiptronic-style semi-auto shifter coupled with rotary encoders/servos to soften the hit from shifting.

I think in the long run it's back to the drawing board for now. I can't make any changes to the truck until I'm done with my other stuff...

6. potatocat

Thank you very very much! I'm an older fart now so I have more tools at my disposal but a lot can be done actually with a fairly low budget- I still have a 6x6 truck which I started when i was 13 and only had a cordless drill to work with. It wears its past mistakes and scars from experimentation with pride. I'll post more about that rig later today.

As for the skills, don't worry about that. If you have the feeling that there is always something to learn then you're doing all right. I'm constantly learning new stuff watching others. Admittedly I havent spent much time on the forums here yet but there looks like a ton of good to read through.

#6 potatocat, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    darkside0914 likes this.
  7. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    are those 5mm out puts if so heres a 7 inch drive shaft http://store.rc4wd.com/Ultra-Scale-Hardened-Steel-Driveshaft-570708-145mm180mm-5mm_p_2587.html and an 8 inch http://store.rc4wd.com/Ultra-Scale-Hardened-Steel-Driveshaft-708866-180mm220mm-5mm_p_2856.html though the 8 inch is out of stock at the moment.

Y2daT likes this.
  8. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

nice darkside

darkside0914 likes this.
  9. potatocat

Thanks! Believe it or not the design is influenced from horse and buggy carriages. The Amish in particular used it along with the pride of Malta- the Maltese Karrozin buggy. I figured it was worth a gamble and after a few tests and failures found the uneven leaf setup to be successful.

Antho11 likes this.
  10. potatocat

Thanks! I like the design of their shafts but am wary of RC4WD in general. While their beadlock Clod rims are good, i have been burned by them in the past. I dont remember if it was them or not but years ago a vendor got caught passing off a blue coating as case hardened steel and it was outed on a long since dead forum . I cant remember if it was maxxtraxx or rcjims ...

Routinely other vendors (some are subs who seem to manufacture for RC4WD) advertise on ebay hardened steel but pictured is electroless coated nickel . You could nickel coat a potato and it would still be hard on the outside but the inside... well.. its not -technically - lying.... ;)

I'm not saying RC4WD does that nowadays but they have had their chances with me.

11. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    theres also these which can be made as long as you want http://www.sdi4x4.com/index.php?id_product=65&controller=product&id_lang=1 all you need is the right length of steel to replace the main shaft with, drill a hole on one end and a couple flats on the other, or you could probably drill two holes and replace the set screw on that end with a through pin, they have a built in slider on one end so no matter what it will still move properly.

12. Leo Kavanaugh

Leo Kavanaugh Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Wow it looks great. Really nice build dude.

13. Mozzy

Mozzy Member

G'day potatocat my name is mozzy, from Australia ,Were those input shafts hard to machine , I am am thinking of a milling machine myself , and I have a large 6x6/8x8 build in mind as well , using txt-1 axels ,btw LOVE that truck , man that is sweet, new to the forum