1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max Stone 8 custom parts build

Discussion in 'Crawler Build Projects' started by bubbajr, Dec 10, 2013.

1. bubbajr

bubbajr Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hello there every body. I can bet that I am not the only one who got a max stone 8 for a Christmas present. I got mine two years from this posting, and have since then broken both sets of stock gears, broken the tie rod ends, bumpers, and stripped out the original axle housing screws. So I am going to be posting my work on the truck so far in the next couple of days. I hope you guys enjoy this post, and find it helpful.

#1 bubbajr, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

Okay, so here is what I accomplished in the past months [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what i did today in welding class

[​IMG]

here is the roll cage for my senior project

[​IMG]

3. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

So, I figured that some people might want to know the set up my truck has.
    Esc- RC4WD Out Cry Dual motor
    Motors- RC4WD 35T modified
    Servo- Solar D772 (for now)
    BEC- Castle Creastions Bec, at 6 volts (will be increasing the voltage once i get castle link)
    Battery- Gans Ace 2s 4000mah saddle pack, want to get a set from max amps too.
    Radio- none at the moment. Need suggestions
    Tires- Stock cut
    all links and shocks- stock
    Skid plate- custom copper, soldered with 60/40 acid core (the kind for radiators)
    I do plan on making metal gears at school with the cnc milling machine, or maybe the manual one, just to prove to myself that i can. I also plan on puttnig rear steer on.

4. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

4800mah, sorry

5. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

Alright,so radio decision time. Traxxas TQi4, Traxxas TQi5, Spektrum dx4s, or maybe a Futuba 4pk. I need three position switches for channel 3 and 4. I haven't been able to find out that sort of info for the futuba, or the spektrum. If i'm not mistaken, the traxxas tqi's have 3 position switches on the 3 and 4 channel. I want to run rear steer on channel 3, and a winch on channel 4. Does any body have any preference, and if so, why?

6. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

So, I created a quick video last night while I had some time. Just a quick solder job for yall. [video=youtube;7Acar86QHco]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Acar86QHco[/video]

7. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

Well. I had an interesting thing happen to my jeep, so no radio yet. Although, while I was looking for a radio, I saw Dj Medic using a DX6i ( I think it was a dx6i). Then i had a great thought, why not use a stick controller? I wouldn't have to go through as much trouble to hook up rear steer, or dual speed controller ( my next crawler ), and I could put a winch on really easy for other trucks. The list goes on and on and on. So, does anybody have any idea if this is popular, or suggested. I was thinking a futuba, but dude... the price

8. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have been told that the gears from the integy irock 8thy scale fit the maxstone 8
    Alloy Gear Set (3) for iROCK AFA01 for R/C or RC - Team Integy

9. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

I have actually seen people use these gears in the max stone. The only issue is waiting on them to be in stock. The plastic gears I have now I got through Australia, I might try that again if I can't make them. But I was thinking of making steel ones. I do appreciate the input though my good friend.

10. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Have a look around I can't be 100% positive but the gears may be the same as the Berg V1 gears. Don't quote me on that directly but I think I saw something somewhere on it. Do a little researchand you should be able to find out.

11. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

About a yer ago, when i stripped out the gears, I looked into using berg gears. I miss understood which max stone the builder was using. He used the max stone 10 and used the berg v2 gears, I didn't realize this until i received the gears. I really wouldn't mind using berg gears.

I did look around and saw other people saying that they work (v1 gears in a max stone 8) but i cant find that info that i need. I really need to know the diameters of the gears. If i get the dimensions, i can make blanks out of cardboard or foam and test the size. The thickness im not too worried about, i can make spacers really easily, but it is diameter that I'm fretting over.

Sorry for the rant, I really do appreciate the input.

12. jaloos

Media:
    My bad here.

Just looked it up some more and found its the Exceed Mad Torque MOA that uses the berg gears.

13. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

Ah HA!!! Clod buster gears??? I think yes. Im thinking about getting cheap plastic ones to see if they fit. IF they do, KABLAMO, Hot Racing aluminum alloy gears. Wish me luck :haveaniceday:

14. texxfletch

texxfletch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

15. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    if they fit let me know would really like to get rid of the plastic ones in my maxstone 8 and did I mention I really like the cage work you`ve done this should be a really nice rig when its finished

#15 darkside0914, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  16. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

Thank you guys for the support. As soon as I get to doing something, should be this weekend, I will get back on and update the build. I might also make a thread for my girlfriends Christmas present. I'm customizing a Losi MRC.

17. jaloos

Media:
    Very cool got me an MRC fun little rigs

18. Butcher

Butcher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Lookin pretty good.
    One little tip though, don't hold the propane upside down... also, MAP is a much better gas,

19. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

Thank you. That tip is very old, and seemed to flow better when tilted. I didn't realize how upside down I had it. MAP actually gets too hot for the tubing. I'm so used to soldering copper plumbing with propane, I don't really want to switch either.

20. bubbajr

ELiTE MEMBER

Alright, so its Saturday night. And here I am, thinking about my truck. I got my clod gears yesterday... Don't fit. Although, I have ordered the clod gear box to see if it fits. This was only intended to save from lots of time machining. I wanted to do this because I am going to be very busy when I return to school. If they don't fit, I plan on contacting some of my dads buddies that will gladly make me some gears. I will have to make locker adapters to go from the clod locker (hex) to the MS8 locker (kinda oval shaped), which is super super simple. Just take a piece of hex stock (easy to find) cut to the correct thickness, and mille the shape into it.

So blabbing aside, I will be able to run metal gears in my truck. Custom, made from scratch, adapted to fit, what ever I need to do. Oh yea, forgot to mention, I have a Spektrum DX6i on its way. :haveaniceday: Uh, yea. I hope its what I'm looking for. This will be used for a helicopter, a dual esc crawler (future build) and a tank like thing that I plan on putting an airsoft gun in. Well, basically every thing I want to build/buy.

I did find out why my gas flow wasn't too great on my propane, the threads on it were leaked. I put it out in the field and let it leak off ( this was the safest place i could think of. I replaced the cylinder with a new one, going to get a new tip wen i go to the hardware store next time.

I hate waiting on parts. Be back when I receive parts, or when I upload my next video about something related to my truck. Have a nice night, those of you that are awake

#20 bubbajr, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013