1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melb, Aust fan of RCSparks YouTube new to RC

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Rayver-J, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

Hi,
    My name is Ray-J I'm new to RC cars started with HSP Grave Digger looking monster truck for my son for Xmas, but we're going to upgrade I've ordered the full aluminium chassis, suspension ect, and researching into brushless motors with Lipo 3S powered I need to learn a bit before buying stuff I can't use

2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

3. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

https://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au/hsp-monster-truck-special-edition-94111-rc-truck.html

Its 1:10 scale not an official grave digger I got it for my 5yo during the Xmas sale $158 from $249 looked like a good 1st RC for us to learn on, I ordered the Grave Digger sticker kit for it and full aluminium upgrades (the truck version of the pic looks about the same but 8 shocks) now I'm learning about brushless motor upgrade so I can switch to 3S LiPo for better battery life

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Crea...444451?hash=item1ea5f6f663:g:oTYAAOSwo6lWJpiz
    this will do fine .... you do not have to be brush less for 3s but it does last lots longer then a brushed motor ... and castle is awesome stuff
    But if all you need is more run time Go 2s lipo the biggest mah that will fit ... the more Mah the more runtime you will get ... if your stock esc is not Lipo ready plug one of thees into the balance plug on the lipo http://www.ebay.com/itm/1S-6S-LED-L...588426?hash=item2ca595558a:g:bBwAAOSwxN5WaHxc
    mah stands for milli amp hours ( translation is a 4000mah battery will run for 4000 hours at 1miliamp of power draw ....
    when it starts beeping ..it means its time to stop and recharge the battery... if you over drain the lipo it will go dead forever .....
    the brush less combo will accept 3S but for a 5year old it will be way to fast and may break the rc ..
    2S is closer to the NIMH voltage ... the S stands for cells and all lipos are 4.2volts per cell @ full charge .
    also don't let the 5 year old be responsible for the lipo battery .
    If you look into lipo safety . you will learn there are a few hazards with lipo .. these hazards include Lipo fires ...they burn extremely hot and water will do nothing but fuel the fire ... if it gets busted open ... is left fully charged for several weeks ...or is charged faster then it can be ... or discharged to fast ... i store my lipos in a clay flower pot ...Just incase ...and i always put them at storage charge when i do not plan to use them soon. they are safe if cared for properly ...

#4 Y2daT, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    BenFink likes this.
  5. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

I tend to go over the top when I upgrade things my boss has a petrol 4wd buggy I just would love to see his face if I beat him with electric, I wasn't sure on what kv I need and how high mAh to go for,
    I only really know with my tools my 5AH Li-Ion brushless dewalt really can't be compared to my old NiMH and I rebuilt an original game boy with a Raspberry Pi & RetroPie with a 50,000mAh so I was going to see if the 10,000mAh LiPo from the helicopters will run with a 6069kv brushless it comes with a ESC but I have no idea how fast it will be probably uncontrollable for a newbie
    X-racing 120A sensored ESC Controller 5.5T 6069KV Sensored Brushless Motor Combo RC Car 1:10 HSP TAMIYA Kyosho
    http://s.aliexpress.com/FNbeiQzQ

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221750618813&globalID=EBAY-AU

6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

oh yea i have a sv3 7700kv combo in a 1:10 scale that will beat 60mph on 3S but a 4x4 rc needs a lower kv . lower kv has more torque . higher is more rpms... the volts times kv = rpm's
    see if you can get metal gears for it ... you will need them for big power.
    the crazy fast setup cost more then the rc ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Crea...193292?hash=item5425f6f08c:g:xEcAAOSwA4dWKQ8x this will defiantly break something but is a monster on 6S ...some rc's break the 100mph mark with it ....also you will need different wheels for crazy speed .

7. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

Thanks heaps for all your help too by the way, I wish I got into RC years ago I always wanted to,
    My son knows batteries are not allowed for kids he won't even touch AA & AAA's at the moment he just likes to carry the truck and remove the pins to open it, he hits the trigger and freaks out after 3 secs and hands the controller over and chases the truck around

8. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

i also over upgrade my toys. lol im running 6Sin my scx10...on a drill motor
    brushed....and my old 250 four wheeler blew up so i hacked it up and rebuilt it with a street bike motor 650 4 cylinder :)

9. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

Nice, I've added some purple led strips under the shell from a PC mod I was doing the molex to 3pin fan adapter plugged into a 2xAA controller from a El Wire kit I had it has always on, slow blink and fast blink setting and it clips to the radio tray bracket, I couldnt find a green anodised aluminium upgrade kit but some parts are green anodised I'll keep what green I have and change the rest to purple.
    Would the 10,000mAh LiPo work on a 3000-4000kv brushless system?

10. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

sure will ... should give you over a hour of run time ....

11. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

I've had ideas that could be fun to try on an extreme setup probably a bit bigger than a 1:10 tho to fit everything, a seperate battery with a full custom water cooling setup use a combination of computer parts like water pump, CPU water block for the ESC, mount the batteries on a Graphics card water block, radiator and thermo fan and brushless motor water cooling jacket, mini actuators like race cars use in the pit stops

12. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

13. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here's the stuff I was looking at either a pump by itself or one built into a reservoir, I figured braided hose would be safer for an RC car and looks cool

14. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

The big Waterblock cooling the LiPo's, small one on the ESC, jacket for the motor it would be really easy to setup I have most of the parts already here

Y2daT likes this.
  15. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

my d90 could use a set up like that mainly the motor ... needs the cooling ..... and you can simply wrap the motor with copper tubing for the liquid heat sink ... a lil arctic silver where it makes contact shoultend hurt either

16. Bubba J

Bubba J Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Welcome to the forum you have come to right place. The addicts here are great, they will help you in any way possible.

17. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almost finished my 1st rebuild my parts finally arrived only 3 hours in looking pretty good

lout likes this.
  18. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

New body decals are on looks a heap better than it was stock

lout likes this.
  19. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

looks pretty :)

20. Rayver-J

Rayver-J Member

LEDs look good will look better on the aluminium upgrade chassis with more reflection, almost finished the coffin to store it in too, purple stained wood with lime green crushed velvet inside and green neons

Ordered the new motor today, purple casing was hard to find but its going from stock brushed to 3300kv brushless and matching esc with 7.4v 8000mAh 2S Li-Po

lout likes this.