1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My home made Wraith suspension links

Discussion in 'Comp Mods & Fabrication' started by bongofish, Feb 21, 2013.

1. bongofish

bongofish Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey guys, sorry it's taken me this long to get my pics posted but we've been really busy at work and I'm also in the process of moving.
    Anyway here we go..
    I started with all of this. Some 6/32 threaded rod, Traxxas rod ends, and some 1/4 inch aluminum tubing.
    [​IMG]
    After getting my measuements correct, I cut the threaded rod, and started the assembly of the links.
    [​IMG]
    Soon enough I had all 8 done.
    [​IMG]
    For the upper links I used the stock uppers as a template. I took one out to the shop, laid it down on the bench and ran a nail through each end, then found where the links start to bend, and drove a nail underneath that point. Then, I cut the heads off, and used this as a jig of sorts. The uppers didn't turn out 'pretty' but they certainly work!
    [​IMG]
    When they were all finished, I installed them, and they turned out just fine.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, and I also installed the new aluminum hub carriers and steering knuckles. Fit and finish was perfect.
    [​IMG]
    All I've done thus far is just test it out in the yard. i haven't had time to really 'trail test' it all, and I do still need to make the steering links. I'll post more pics when I get done. I'm hoping to have it all wrapped up before i leave for the beach on Sunday, so i'll do my best to keep this updated.

2. Mowgli

Mowgli Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nice work, I think with that method you could even make some bent lower arms for a little bit more clearance too.

3. Mowgli

ELiTE MEMBER

Oh I just had a thought next time around if you use a brake tube bender you might get a smoother inside radius(one of the cheap ones from the auto parts store), don't know if it will work with the threaded rod in the tube but its worth a shot.

4. bongofish

ELiTE MEMBER

I looked for something small enough to make the bends but I didn't have anything that would work. I'm going to keep my eyes open the next time I go to get parts for my S-10. I feel sure that the shop I deal with will have something, but as usual, me being in a hurry, lol....that's how they ended up.
    I'm considering doing the same to the lowers too. I think that would help out on the rocks tremendously. The hardest part was just getting the lengths right, but since the first set was built, It'd be nothing to build another set. And a heck of alot cheaper than Vanquish..lol

5. Mowgli

ELiTE MEMBER

Ha I know what ya mean by bein in a hurry, I do the same all the time. And not only are they cheaper but you can say you buildt them.

6. Corey52587

Corey52587 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

you could use tubing benders for plumbing. can get them at lowes or home depot, i think they are for 1/4" or maybe 3/8" not for sure

7. bongofish

ELiTE MEMBER

good idea!

8. segersshop

segersshop Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

awesome work !! need to do the same on my wraith ditch the plastic links. thanx for sharing :high:

9. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    These little benders work well and are not that expensive.

They usually come with the ability to do 2 or 3 different size tube.

[​IMG]

10. seawalkersee

seawalkersee New Member

I like emm. Did you run the all thread all the way through the aluminum? Or is it screwed in on both ends? I am going to do the same thing on my HPI, but want them to be longer.

SWS

11. jaloos

Media:
    Going to trying my hand at some of theses myself soon.

12. bongofish

ELiTE MEMBER

The all thread runs all the way through the links. It gives them alot more rigidity in my opinion.

13. bongofish

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into one of those in the next few days for sure.

14. segersshop

segersshop Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i have a bender like that . i got it at lowes works great !!! i gave 15 bucks for it . u can take some alum. polish and make the links nice and chrome looking your choice !! :haveaniceday:

#14 segersshop, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  15. bongofish

ELiTE MEMBER

I might try it on these when I build a new set to replace them. These have worked just great, but I do want to use a little beefier aluminum tube. This was some of the thin wall stuff that Hobbytown had on hand while I was there one afternoon. I'm not worried about the links bending because the 6/32 rod is strong as heck inside, but the tubing has had the immortal H*** beat out it on the rocks, and it's denting in places. Other than that, I want to arch the lower links on the next set too, just to have a little more clearance. But overall I can't complain about them. Heck, they saved a buttload of cash instead of buying Vanquish stuff, and I'm not bashing Vanquish, but being single with bills and obligations it's tough to lay out $100.00 for 8 pieces of aluminum...lol
    Let me know how yours turn out bro. If i can help, let me know! :)

16. LulyOldJob

LulyOldJob Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nice work.......I do feel that making your own stuff is so much more satisfying.
    I Could not find what i wanted, so i set about making my own, i found a Plastics store online and had them send me a 12"x12" Sheet of Delrin 1/4" thick i then put painters tape over the Delrin and then popped off to the DIY Store for a M4 Tap and M4 Studding, Found some M4 BallJoint Ends at "Dlux Fab" and set too work, I came up with my own Custom Rear Links.
    I cut them out as best i could then wile the painters tape was still on i used super glue to stick them together. Then came the hard part.....Lots and Lots of sanding:zzz:

[video=youtube_share;6E13x7dgxUk]http://youtu.be/6E13x7dgxUk[/video]

17. jaloos

Media:
    Nice work. For future reference the Jato ball ends will do the job no need to get them from Dlux Fab can get them off Ebay.

18. jaloos

Media:
    I have just made a set for my Honcho.

I found that 10-24 rod will fit the 1/4 brake line and that the Jato rod ends will accept a 10-24 tap.

[​IMG]

They are much longer and beefier than regular traxxas rod ends. Below is a pic showing the different sizes. The jato rod ends are on the top.

[​IMG]