1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 Monster

Discussion in 'Monster Trucks' started by MaxximusRC, Mar 16, 2013.

1. MaxximusRC

MaxximusRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hi everyone! LOVING THIS PLACE more by the minute! So, I thought I would add a little tid bit for you to feast your eyes on. Please keep in mind, this will be an ongoing project, and there will be periodic updates on its progress.
    The image on the right shows my completed custom temp gauge mount
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I have already installed the reverse kit and the Opti-Drive system, and I know some of you are wondering why I have a waterproof servo with the numbers written on it? well, I opted for the cheapest way I could find to get a real waterproof servo. So, I went on Ebay and found the TRA2074 that contains just the case and gaskets to make it waterproof, they cost me about $5 each (the case for the shift servo TRA2063 is in the mail). And the photo on the right shows the steering servo after i changed the case on it also.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Below, you can see I have added an RPM skid/wear plate setup, This next photo shows a brake caliper mod i did, using a spring from a pen. I just cut it in half and placed each piece on either side of the caliper to ensure a full, even return.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I forgot to mention, that I have done all this and a few more things...........AND I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED THIS THING YET!
    I'll post some more pics and how-to info of my mods under the "mods and fabrication" forum if anyone is interested

#1 MaxximusRC, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks great so far!:haveaniceday:

3. MaxximusRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I almost forgot to mention my prototype filter cover (protection from mud and dirt splashing on it),
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    and I have this great idea forming, involving these reclaimed momentary micro switches, the stock Rx pack from the T-Maxx and some LEDs!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#3 MaxximusRC, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. LST04

LST04 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Very nice T-MAXX my friend! :D

5. MaxximusRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    As this is my first nitro, I really like it so far, and cant wait to drive! Just dreading the Traxxas 5 tank - all day long break in process.......:yourkidding::scared:

#5 MaxximusRC, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. MaxximusRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The other day I posted a couple pics on my intro thread of my custom made bumper covers for my T-Maxx. Well, I really wasn't satisfied with them due to the cut lines and the front bumper puckering on the corners.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Today I decided to make some new ones, at this point they are basically finished, just need to cut out the hook point for the wheely bar and drill mounting holes for the rear. The front I would really like to weld or solder a piece on the top but, I dont have the means to do it. They both definitely look a lot better now.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I have also started working on a pair of 1/10 scale license plate frames, the first one is almost finished. The frame is recessed on the back so the plate sits inside of it. Not too bad considering I have never really made anything like this before.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#6 MaxximusRC, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  7. MaxximusRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I am saddened today I took my truck to my in-laws to run it a little and show the kids. while running it around in the front yard during warm up, I swerved to miss my mother in-law, I ended up hitting the lamp post! That put it out of commission for a little while, til I get a little extra money for the parts. total cost is around $45 but, thats getting a few extras for backup. Here are a few pics of the carnage that ensued.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bumpin

bumpin Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

wow how fast were you going ! lol it looks like my truck after i hit a concrete foundation at full throttle . hopefully you are having fun . the mods are looking awesome by the way :yuush:

9. MaxximusRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    really wasn't going that fast, I let off the throttle was coasting, turned and hit the lamp post. :slow::omg::on fire::burnt:

10. MaxximusRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ordered the parts for my truck today, estimated arrival is this Saturday! Picked up a full set of upper and lower stock A-arms (off a new T-Maxx but, not used) for a couple dollars more than the price of 2 uppers! Can't wait to get it back on the road err.. dirt! It looks pretty sad sitting there with one front corner all tore apart.
    [​IMG]

11. kuskye25

kuskye25 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

time for some "acncm" bulks off ebay, $40 for front and rear... dirt cheap and really good aluminum... definitely as good as golden horizon's and those are $40 a pair....

12. MaxximusRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Postman brought me some early deliveries today! There weren't scheduled to be here til tomorrow and Saturday but, I'm not going to complain one bit!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    changed out the old shock shaft already.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. LST04

LST04 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks awesome! I'll keep an eye on this thread!

14. MaxximusRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Did my first thorough cleaning to it last night and finished it this morning, here is a couple before and after shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It took me about 5 hours to completely clean this beast, I disassembled everything except the diffs, engine and transmission. Such a long arduous task, sitting there with a bowl of soapy water and a soft brush. But I am glad I did it.
    Also, If anyone knows about tuning these things, I am having an issue with it. It ran fine the day I broke it in but after that, it doesn't have as much power as it should. It cuts out on the high end, if you gun it, it falls on its nose but, if you feather the throttle, it will go. Or if its at 1/4 -1/3 throttle and gun it, it will cut out. I have tried running it richer and leaner on the high speed adjustment with little change and just changed out the glow plug today also.

15. Rambodian

Rambodian New Member

Mate I am loving how you Love your truck so much, it reminds me of myself and my Revo 3.3.

I'm also loving what you do to it as well, great ideas and effort mate, truck looks fantastic after the clean up.

Good work.

16. patrickisska

patrickisska Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I like it it sick

17. Rambodian

Rambodian New Member

Are you still having issues ?, I didn't read about your tune issues last tiem I visited soz. If you are, try this out, if your not, all good.

I had similar issues with the 3.3 as the ones you are having. First thing to do is clean your carby out, I used WD40 and completely cleaned it out by pulling the needles out etc, also clean out your engine while your at it. Than take the carby back to factory settings, thats 4 turns out for high speed needle and flush with the slide valve for low speed (the inner ring its screwed into). If you have the 3.3 that came with the tapered head on the low speed screw, put the bottom of the taper as flush with the slide valve. Once at these settings, if its still cutting out check your fuel lines and make sure no air is getting in, also check fuel tank seal. If ok and still cutting out, you need to seal the engine up, it's easy to do just youtube it.
    Once that is done, you should be able to re-tune from there, remember small 1/8th turns on the high speed when leaning it up. Also don't start to tune until the engine is up to running temp, about a 1/4 tank or so.....I see so many people start-up and lean out the high speed straight away, don't do it. Once high speed is set, than tune low speed the same way.

hope that helps, it a bit of a job but once tuned, the 3.3 holds it's tune well with very little mucking about.

Hope that helps.

18. Rossicle

Rossicle New Member

I had almost forgot what a new, clean T-Maxx looked like! Enjoy it :). I still love shredding with mine!

19. MaxximusRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I pulled the carb and head this morning, completely tore down the carb gave it a good bath in WD-40. Reassembled it using a couple drops of after-run oil, used a lint-free paper towel with WD-40 on it to wipe down the cylinder wall and piston head. Then applied a drop of after-run oil in the intake and another in the cylinder, slowly turning the motor over, making sure both the piston and cylinder get a good coating of oil. Now it's all back together, the jets on the carb are all at factory settings. I plan to run it later this afternoon so, let's hope it will run better now!:confident:

I also made a new air filter guard out of a prescription bottle I had sitting around. Those things are like duct tape, a million and one uses!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. MaxximusRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Took Maxx down to the track the other day for a run, got some good footage (still working on the video), brought it back up to the street for a cool down run and manage to strip out the steering servo on a slow turn around!
    [​IMG]
    Luckily, a friend of mine a few houses down, had some extra servo parts! And now the servo is as good as new!
    The fuel tank that came on the truck was defective, the lid wouldn't seal and allowed massive amounts of fuel to leak out every time it flipped over. So, last week I contacted Traxxas and they sent me a new fuel tank which arrived yesterday!
    [​IMG]
    So now, I shouldn't have anymore of this when driving on dry surfaces!
    [​IMG]